NIGHT TIME HUNTING FOR Predators.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Austin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    As a landowner you have that right jimmie in KY. And I would respect your request as a hunter. But that dont mean all land owners would have a problem with it. I know several who would be more than happy to let you hunt with rimfire or centerfire at night as long as you didnt hunt at their back door. I think OH. and VA. also allow centerfire. correct me if IM wrong. To be honest with you it really wouldnt be worth the effort if they made it shotgun only with no lights in my opinion.
    Again.....pass it or not.....we really cant complain as we can hunt them year round now. I have been pressuring them for the fact of some more hunting time for coyotes and also for the posssibility to hunt feral hogs at night also.

You mentioned the fellow killed at night in GA.........how many hunting accidents happen in plain day..rifle and bow??

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

The man killed in Ga. was an aimed, intentional pulling of the trigger!! Not your average act of stupidity or carelessness. Many a steer and horse went down because they shot at eyes over the years. The Lack of positive ID OF TARGET causes a lot of accidents. It is pure carelessness on the part of the hunter in question and none of us should even think of tolerating such stupidity.

Without the severe limitations, there will be no point in trying to get this passed. Jimmie

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    Its stupidity day or night.......I am sure the fellow didnt intentionally shoot a man....yes it was stupid. And there aint no fix for stupid as they say. But it was still an accident the same as any hunting accident.

It would be better to get it done without alot of red tape restrictions. Those just make it harder. Hunting , gun ownership, and the way it used to be are being SQEEZED enough without asking for any more restrictions.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  4. nightvision

nightvision Fawn

Jan 10, 2010
    Middle Ga.
    The shooter that killed the man in Georgia DID NOT identify his target. Rule #1 in hunting but there is a little more to the story. The game warden knew they were there and decided to sneak around and low crawl and come up behind a small berm to spot them. YES, the shooter never verified his target but if someone ran through the woods in November wearing a tan coat and got shot someone would point out he did not have on his hunter orange. Why are we required to wear it? To help other people see us in the DAYLIGHT while we are deer hunting usually while having binoculars in our possession.. Again,the shooter is at fault and he has been sentenced to prison but the game warden should have been smarter about it.

5. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    Heck hunters are shot every turkey season mistaken for a turkey. Is it the fellow who was shot fault? No

Accidents are gonna happen day or night....its called human error. No matter how many restrictions you put in place it is still going to happen.
    I assume the risk every time I go afield.......knowing it COULD happen. But you cant STOP all hunting because of it.

Again......we could debate this for the rest of the year.......But if this many hunters are against it .....guess what??

6. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I'll try to make this my last comment on the subject:rolleyes: but again here are my thoughts on how I'd like to see it done.

Private land only
    Shotgun(no slugs) or rimfire only
    Artificial lights (I don't really see how it would be harder to make a positive WITH lights than without as some have said)
    No night hunting during any of the deer gun/muzzle loader seasons

I really don't see how the above would be a problem. Like has been said before, people are going to poach and do their own thing regardless. As a matter of fact there was a story today of a guy who got busted in Nelson county for poaching deer, they got him with 88 violations.
    http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=1044

As far as livestock on private property, they don't have to participate or allow any hunting on their property, but that shouldn't stop me from doing so on my land.

7. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Shotgun only is the only thing that does make sense. You limit range and make for a better chance of positive ID of target. You cut down on those chances of some moron deciding to shoot a pair of eyes and someones prize bull. Jimmie

8. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    Sorry to drag this back up but I just noticed this post. This is not a valid excuse as there are several States that allow some form of night hunting with rimfire and/or centerfire that have nore population per square mile than KY. Heck we are not that many ahead of TX. KY. has 110 per sq. mi., TX. has 98 psm., OH has 281 PSM, NY. has 412 PSM, CA has 241 PSM.,IL. has 231 PSM, VA. has 204 PSM, IN. has 181 PSM. All allow night hunting with centerfire and or rimfire.

Every State is experiencing population explosion. All of these States are doing well with some form of night hunting for predators. One accident in GA. brings out panic among hunters.......when 41 States allow it I think that is pretty good odds.

Lets not throw our hands up and surrender because of ONE accident.

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

The more I hear from advocates against it, the less I see valid reasons not to allow limited seasons with lights on private land.

10. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    i agree with u fat tony farmers here r theones who bascilly got the spotlighting stopped her in ther first place oh and i have to mention i hunted a spot out on 22 by go forth and killed a double x mas day hope it wasnt one of your dogs lol holler at me we will try to get after them one day

11. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I think Tony is saying that he is "FOR" hunting on private land with spotlights.........

And so am I........shotgun/rimfire w/lights (not attached or from any vehicle) with written permission from landowner

12. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Landowners and farmers are why we have the light laws we have now. And you want to shove this down their throats after all the hassles they go through each year. What they wanted and got means absolutlely nothing to you ? They have protected and fed the game you get the privelage of hunting each and every year.

What you want takes precedence over common sense and safetey for all involved.

And nice play on the math Yotechaser. But your averaging city populations in that as well. You not looking at where people actually live. Small farms are ten sections, meaning ten square miles in many of those state. This means there is little rural population. That means one landowner for 6400 acres. I may talk to 4 landowner to get access to 640 acres here. Nice try but it doesn't wash!

And all these states mentioned have problems, the same ones we do , you just don't hear about it. Folks are suffering the same economic hard times. Farmers profit margins are just as low. And livestock owners are still pissed when they find animals with bullets between the eyes.

The light laws were changed here in order to find and fight the true criminals after our wildlife. Something that has worked very well so far. I for one am not giving that up when there are other options!! Jimmie

13. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I am glad you like my math...........city limits or not, it is there in black and white. I am not one to shove nothing down anybodies throat,
    If a farmer dont want me hunting on his property........I dont. If he dont want me to use lights on his property.....I wont. I have always respected
    other peoples property above and beyond expectations.

You....my friend are drawing at straws.......I believe it was you that mentioned antis...in one of your post.
    Well.....believe it or not your starting to sound like one.

If your going to come at me.......do it with facts.....EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  14. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    The simple plain truth of the whole night thing, is if KY passes it... it is because we (farmers, landowners, etc.) are having problems with losing too many pets/livestock,chickens.goats....you name it. Due to predation from coyotes on up. So if that is the case why put limitations like trying to hunt on only full moon nights. I am sure everyone here knows how limited that would be. Why not do it right where you could actually get out and do some damage. If you have to possess a written permission on person from the landowner your hunting on.......then he/she is giving you the ok. If they are not willing then you wont have that permission. I am sure not sold on trying to identify a target on a full moon night rather than using a light. So why even bother with it if your already limiting your success.

15. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Here is a fact you will understand. I have on 3 occasions fired a weapon at thieves with lights in my fields. Once I was too late and parts of one of my animals was going in the trunk of a car, when I cut loose with a shotgun at way to far a distance to do any good. Very hard to read a plate when they have removed or busted the light. The spotlight let me know they were out there!

EDIT. I am an avid hunter, but not a proponant of giving thieves a free ride. As the laws stand now, I know when I see lights in the fields someone is stealing wildlife or livestock. There is no guess work to it. When I hear a high powered rifle go off at night, I know there is a thief out there in the neighborhood stealing from all of us.

Your last post proves beyond all doubt you have no respect for landowners or their opinions when they differ from your own.You want what you believe is the right way to do this thing. There are other options , but you are not willing to compromise in order to get a foothold with the state or landowners. WITHOUT COMPROMISE WE WILL ALL LOSE!! Jimmie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012