NIGHT TIME HUNTING FOR Predators.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Austin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Austin

Austin Fawn

Jun 10, 2010
    Trimble County, Ky
    thats what i am looking forward too, pelts are still good, and It would be cool to at least try it. And wouldn't it be less safe hunting without a light, somebody could on accident shoot a dog or cow coming in thinking its a coyote? I just want to be able to have the freedom of doing this kind of hunting, I do not like the excuses our dept. has on not allowing it. They are doing alot for us, but they should give us more freedom on the predator hunting.

2. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county

Good points.

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Pelts are worthless by february 1.

Under the rules we had before it was basically only during the full moon phase, the only time you could see well enough to identify a target.And yes under those conditions it was easy enough to identify one critter from another. A person who say's he mistook a cow for a coyote was out to steal some steaks in the first place.

From my own experience allowing lights in the field would be a huge mistake. Folks tend to want to believe that set of eyes is a critter they are after. This would have cost me a horse years ago if I had not fired first. And it has cost me other livestock. I am not for giving thieves another excuse to steal, which would happen if we allowed lights in the field. I have to agree with the state on that issue.

As much as I wouold like to see night hunting legalized once again. I would fight it tooth and nail if it included the use of lights. Jimmie

4. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    The Feb-Jul window has some merit, it was seriously discussed a couple of years ago. As for pelts, 99% of coyotes get thrown in the ditch anyway. This isn't going to control coyotes, no hunting can, it's simply a recreational opportunity that will reduce some predation in very localized areas.

I'm not going to try to call them on a full moon without a light, I like calling them in the day when I can see and clearly identify my target. I don't even call until it's good and daylight on a normal day.

5. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    why are the pelts worthless after feb? do they start to shed them? that seems like our peak winter month when the weather is at its worse

6. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    They are "rubbed" pretty bad as it gets later, meaning some spots with short hair usually around the shoulders. KY yotes are graded so hard any way by buyers thtn only 1 in 40 will be a top quality pelt, most at this time would be lucky to fetch $12-15 finished. I try to give mine to local trappers and they normally don't want them. I'm not skinning and fleshing and stretching them and going through the effort of selling them for $25, let alone 12.

7. Westeren History has shown no type of hunting will control the coyote population. Coyotes adapt to any and all challenges that man throws at them. It's probably the main reason we all chase the coyote so hard.

I am not for any changes personally but wouldn't fight against it if a majority of people wanted it. I enjoy the way we hunt coyotes now and would not change my approach even if they did start allowing night hunts. I enjoy seeing all that all God created when I am in pursuit of ole wiley. I also think it would work out better for the illegal hunters than it would for the guys who a law abiding to the T.

8. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I really dont think there would be that many participants after the initial phase wore off. I really dont care if they passed it with or without lights if it were shotgun only. It is not a very easy thing to do to call one within shotgun range while using a light. Although it can be done, there would be more coyotes educated to run from lights than were actually called in and killed. I am still going to hunt them in daylight hours no matter what. But this just opens up the door for some extra hunting time that most people dont have. To be honest with you there would probably be more foxes come in than coyote, as they usually charge the caller faster at night.
    But night or day..........you gotta love it

By the way.......excellent thread Austin

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  9. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

As a land and livestock owner, I know why we fought for and got the laws passed on lights we have now. A CO doesn't have to see game in the vehicle to site the thieves we have running loose all over the state. In fact , any LEO can go after them the way these laws are now. Livestock losses were cut tremendously in most areas due to these laws. It also helps the state to locate habitual thieves in an area no matter how smart they think they are.

During the years we had this I can count the non target critters without taking off anybody elses shoes and socks. Once we learned the how , non target animals were almost completely eliminated. Total of non targets was one grey fox, 4 coons, 3 bobcats, and one german sheapard, oh, and 1 barred owl.

And another thing to think about , Spreading human population!! Within five hundred feet of where I called in 3 and killed a double is a new house. Set way back in a field, barely see the roof from the road. Seeing a lot of those being built by peple with money to burn. Saw two new ones on the way to dads at thanksgiving set way back like that. And this is going on all across the state. Good reason to cut out highpowered rifles at night when you think about it some.Heck any rifle! This has even caused a shift and change in the way I hunt coyotes during daylight, it would have a large affect on how to work at night as well.

This thread caused me to think and remember a lot of great hunts. Hunts I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Ticked off coons and bobcats. A coyote I could barely see cussing me for an hour because I hadn't figured out how to set up. That pair that hung up way out there walking back and forth across the pond levy for the same reason.Touching off that 870 on a nineteen degree night when the coyote came in farther to my left than I figured on, my nose hurt for 30 minutes LOL. How fast and with almost total abandon they came in, when I got it figured out. The little grey fox, pacing back and forth, working on gettin up his courage to run in that fencerow and steal that critter from whoever had it. Nope , I wouldn't trade those memories for all the pics and money in the world;-) Jimmie

10. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    If KY DNR are worried about human/house developement.......there shouldnt be any centerfire rifle hunting for any game....period.
    I really dont think using centerfire rifles at night would be any more dangerous than using them during the day. Just think about how many deer hunters are out there on opening morning with high powered rifles. Plus there would be less hunters afield during the night than the day. But even if night hunting ever does scratch the surface, I can guarantee you it will be shotgun only and maybe rimfire.
    As far as using lights, there are some great rifle mountable and handheld red/green lights on the market now that would allow for easy identification out to 150 yards. I would have to agree with some others about using lights over hunting only full moon nights. I have to question the statement about not being able to identify a coyote with a good light over trying to identify one with a full moon. I have hunted in a full moon also, and it aint as easy as it sounds to identify one until he is right on top of you. The only exception being a good snow on the ground on a clear full moon night. Plus you are severely limited on the nights you could even hunt. But if it happens to pass with shotgun only, then the use of lights really wouldnt be necessary.

11. lbtaylor

lbtaylor Spike

Feb 4, 2011
    i say yes!why not ive not heard one good reason against it.look at texas

12. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

This expanding human population is going to become a problem for all hunters, period, sooner or later. You have no idea of how much ground I have lost for hunting in the last few years. Seems like every house built is right smack in the middle of the travel lanes too. Our farmers are getting old and retiring and dieing left and right. Farms are being broke up all over. This is part of that social problem JD brought up. That rich Bunny hugger that bought the farm next door for his dream house aint going to be happy with firearms going off at 1 am.

What if reporting to your CO each night was part of this, to let him know what areas you were working. How well would he take that? What if he had to put up with this every night? Hey, I know it is his job. But remember he is already on call 24 , 7. He works days too. CO's are already out numbered and shorthanded.

This is not Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, or Colorado. This is Ky where we have 3 times the human population per square mile in rural areas. Those states do not have the problems we are going to have to deal with. Jimmie

13. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    TX., NM., KS., CO., and 37 more states are doing well with it as far as I know. I havent heard any negative comments about any of the 41 States that have it. We could set and speculate possible problems for days. I really dont ever expect to see it happen here. But I am sure we all have enough places to hunt that we dont hunt in someones back yard.

If this is worth doing.....it is worth doing right......and that to me means at least rimfire (and preferably centerfire) rifles with the use of lights that can not be attached or used inside or from any vehicle. Private property with the landowners written permission on person. From mid- Jan.----July... at the very least

14. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I am just happy the KDFWR legalized buckshot.

At one time I was all for night hunting coyotes but now I am not so sure about it.

15. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Western states do not have a problem with this because a small farm is ten square sections. A section is a square mile. Nobody lives out in the middle of the farms and ranches.We may have as many as 4 or 5 landowners to a section to deal with.

Ill. and Ind. and Ga. are the only states I know of that allow centerfire at night in the east. These states do not have the rural population we have in Ky and Tenn.And as has been pointed out, the use of centerfire and night vission caused the death of a CO in Ga.They saw eyes and killed a man!! I admit I have not researched them all. But VT,Nh and NY are shotgun and rimfire.

I know that as a land and livestock owner, if I see lights in the field at night I will call the 1800 hotline. Nor would I give permission for anyone to be in my fields with centerfire and lights at night. Most I know feel the same way. Thousands of acres were closed to hunting because of dead livestock, and some still are to this day. That is something I do not want to see happen again. Jimmie

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011