NIGHT TIME HUNTING FOR Predators.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Austin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I have got the same results Jimmie. They always come back with the answer that trapping is a more effective measure to control their population. Same way with feral hogs......they tell me hunting them only educates them and animal control (shooting them in groups from a helicopter) is a more effective means. I say horseshit to both. You can do some real damage on both if you know how to set up and kill them at night. Most landowners I know that really are having issues with coyotes and/or feral hogs would be more than happy to let you hunt with or without lights on their property as long as you are not sitting at their backdoor.

But you are correct on the limitations (if they ever do pass it).

I will continue to be a thorn in their ass until then

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Of the 41 states that allow it, only 4 do not allow lights (North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon and Vermont). Why is KY so different? No poaching anywhere else? More dangerous here?Other states have figured out how to make it work and keep it safe.States handle it plenty of different ways. Some have no regulation. Some limit it to a season from like Feb-July (LA, MA, MN, NH, NJ, WV...). Shotgun only (OH & IN). Private land only (CO, CA, FL, ID,LA, MO, TX...). Red or amber lights only (WV). Spotlight permits whereas hunting without a light needs no permit (FL). Midnight cutoff (MASS) Even some states that require you to call and leave a message with the CO as to what private property you'll be hunting and when (TX). Pick and choose. Options and combos are nearly endless).To just say it can't hapoen makes no sense. I'm actually surprised KY is such a holdout and is so slow to catch up to the pack on this issue.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. rys40

rys40 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have read today.

Your own property or not, there are still regualtions that must be followed. The same goes for any other hunting or fishing.

4. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

We just got shot sizes changed last year, laws that stood for as long as I can remember. Believe me, that is a very long time. It took more than a decade to do that. And people are still carrying ilegal shot because they heard buckshot was legal now, they do not read the regs.

And you have no idea of how much complaining it took to get the laws on spotlighting we have now. From both landowners and hunters. Do you think they are going to rescind all that just because someone thinks it is rediculous?

They did give us an oportunity to hunt coyote only at night. And it was abused in more ways than you can count. Ilegal game taken, lights used, tresspassing, you name it , all done under the excuse of coyote hunting. SO COYOTE HUNTING AT NIGHT WAS ONCE AGAIN MADE ILEGAL!!

A lot of you do not know that e-callers were just made legal a few years back for predator species other than coyote. Why, the number of ilegally taken bobcat far surpassed the number of legally taken cats. The state could have used this very forum to write citations daily on folks bragging about taking a cat with an ecaller. UNTIL JUST A FEW YEARS AGO THE TAKING OF BOBCAT AND OTHER FURBEARERS WAS MOUTH CALL ONLY!! These were the laws for decades.

And you are surprised that Ky is a holdout ! Jimmie

5. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    He might have been just blowing hot air,but this is what he told me.

He said they are discussing it,and it would be 2-3 months a year, after the deer and elk drop their antlers to help with the poaching.
    That's all I can tell you,but when I talk to him again I'll ask more about it.

6. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Nothing about the way this state works surprises me but I do know if enough of us hunters stand up for what we want and know needs to be done whether or not we as a hunter ourselves plan on doing that particular thing or not it will get done. The problem we have is everyone has different things they like to hunt and until we all stand together on important issues we will lose. I don't hunt coyotes but im more than willing to help the ones who want this get it because I know its needed. In the whole scheme of things others issues usually help us all. Grouse hunters like me want habitat and predators thinned out which will help everyone in the long run. I just don't understand why everyone can't work as a whole and get things done were all in this together.

7. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    So if I live way out in the middle of nowhere and I was to use a shotgun/buckshot and a light IF it were legal, what's the problem there? I didn't mean that I would hunt outside of the law, I guess I worded it wrong.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  8. big eades

big eades Spike

Apr 22, 2011
    Jimmie this years hunting guide says buckshot is legal for all fur bearers. Page 40

9. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I dont care how they do it.........I just think we that want it need to stick together and be a real thorn in their ass until they do.

Hell if KY. DNR cancelled every type of hunting that was done illegal.....there wouldnt be any hunting period.
    If they are worried about morons that disobey the law then they need to add on more COs.

I think most of us are on the same page.......

10. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I agree.

The people who are already breaking the laws be it poaching or night hunting illegally are going to either way. I say make the penalties for doing so severe enough that it will deter them. Don't punish the honest guy. I just don't buy into the notion that if you allow night time predator hunting that poaching will be exponentially worse. Like I said I have night hunted in Indiana and know folks up there and I haven't heard of any poaching problems. Heck, up there you're allowed to spotlight fields at night to look at deer as long as you have no firearm on you or in your vehicle.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    We've had several threads on this subject over the years......and my opinion is still the same......it really dont matter to me either way.

If night hunting were legal in Ky.....very doubtful I'd partake.

Just really dont care about hunting them at night....and in my opinion I dont find them that hard to hunt in daylight. Also.....sorta think part of the enjoyment is seeing their responses as they come in. Believe a lot of that would be missed out on and basically it would be just a see & shoot with lights or otherwise.

Also...not saying night hunting is bad if done safely or some would'nt enjoy it.....its just not my cup of tea.

Also believe....if it ever became reality....yes it would be highly restricted.

In my opinion....it will be a very hard sell to ever get passed in Ky.... with antlers being king. Too many social issues now surface with coonhunters at night vs deer hunters & landowners in general. Put another night hunting sport in the mix... possibly another conflict in this aspect.

Again....not campaigning for it.... or dead set against it.... just somewhere in the middle.

12. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I like hunting them more during the day as well, but I work 3rd shift and in the winter it's hard for me to get out much during daylight hours by the time I get out of bed. If you haven't ever hunted coyotes at night it's very cool watching those glowing eyes bouncing up and down as they're coming to the call.

13. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Well they have definately changed the wording from last years change. It stated nothing larger than number 4 buck. I checked it and researched it. It made the number 3 buck rounds for my 20 guage ilegal.

The way that now reads is anything up too and including OO. I find that one hard to believe after all these years of no buck at all. Two changes in that short a period doesn't sound right. I am failing to find the right search for the changes in regs. Any body got that somewhere? We need it as written, not what is published.

Jd is correct in the social issues being a large part of it. Tresspassing is a big problem. Real tempting to cross that fenceline when you hear them howling on the neighbor you don't have permission for, who would know?

How many are going to let that bobcat or fox walk? They come to calls as well. Season is open aint it? Just not daylight , who will know? I have yet to kill a bobcat myself. Yet I let 3 walk while we had this for coyote only. Aint nothing like hearing a big tom growling in the moonlight cause that bunny is just too darned big.

Lets say you got red lense lights and rifles legal. Tell me how in heck you are going to make positive ID on that set of eyes bouncing to a stop out there at a hundred yards in the pasture. Do you know for certain that critter is not the farmers favorite cat before you pull the trigger?

Not everyone out there is going to do it legal or ethically. That has already been proven to a very high degree. And you haven't even considered the road hunters who would start up with this as an excuse.

I am for it. But not in a way that would suit all who want it. No lights and no rifles mouth call only. That would limit the ones who do this considerably. Jimmie

14. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    Even with those limitations there are still going to be morons out there breaking the law. The limitations you mention are only going to affect the honest Joes like you and me. I will say this......most fellows would not be able to bring a coyote within shotgun range using lights.

Any laws and limitations on anything including our second ammendment only affect the average joe. criminals and people with low character will always find a way to go around those laws and limitations.

But besides all that I would have no problem with those guidelines. They are very killable without using lights.

15. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    You are correct on everything you have said Jimmy if done correctly you would pass on more shots than you would take because if there is any doubt you shouldnt shoot but i dont think most would. I would realy like to do it but i know what it is ive seen it done when i was very young and i dont want the responsability that come with it . It sounds good but in reality it would be a pain in the butt it wouldnt take long before the land owners would be pissed off and yelling at the state because of all the hassle it was causing us not to mention all of the dead neighbor hood dogs i believe it would do more damage to the sport than help with population problems i believe it would cause us to have a set season instead of year around hunting season on them. How many guys would be drunk at midnight and decide it was a great time to go coyote hunting its legal so let get the gun and go kill one , we dont have enough Co`s to take care of poachers let alone to have them working around the clock so more game violations will go unpunished makeing more people thinkinhg that hey i can get away with it, more game cameras will be stolen because they caught someone trespassing so they got rid of the evidence, That big buck youve been hunting got ran out of the country because someone was out hunting on the neighbors farm last night and with 5 months of deer season when can it be done so it doest interfer with the deer, these are thing that are real conserns to the state just so someone can hunt at night, No thanks i dont need the hassle.