NIGHT TIME HUNTING FOR Predators.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Austin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

We had it!! Due to folks not reading regs and following them we lost it! The post below about buckshot should prove their point completely. If the average hunter does not have time to read the regs , he doesn't belong in the woods.

What we did have was no lights and no electronic devices. This limited you to nights of the full moon and mouth calls. Not even a flashlight on your person could be in the field. Once you got it figured out , it was deadly as hell on coyotes. If a hunter was truly ethical he would wait until he could possitively identify his target under these conditions, which was within about fifty yards.

With our laws on spotlighting being what they are, you will never see a night season for predators in this state. Jimmie

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    DITTO! Shotgun only, private land only.

As for extra permits? BS! Why? They are not going to hire more COs with the money. So why should we pay money to shoot something the Dept of F&W doesn't want in the first place??

3. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    Id like to see it on private property, no exrtra permits, and regulated to a degree

4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I personally see no problem at all with night hunting. As for problems any kind of hunting comes with problems as does anything in life. As far as the c/o's getting called out at night its there job they knew it when they signed on. The extra permits is b/s hunting already costs ridiculously to much.

5. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I vote yes. Night predator hunting with lights is no more unsafe than coon hunting with lights. I really dont think that many would participate. As far as passing night hunting without lights I would say piss on it. You would be too limited on the nights you could actually see. Maybe with snow and a clear night with full moon. I really dont see why anyone would be against it. Start out slow.....maybe shotgun only and/or rimfire, and build on that. If done correctly night hunting is deadly. It would just take a few times to get the hang of it. Yes you would educate some dogs, but so do new hunters in the day. As far as an extra permit I also say H/S to that as KY resident hunters are raped as it is.

6. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    I was talking to our Co here in Pike.Co last month about this subject.He told me it's being discussed now,but he didn't know when it would start or how the regs. would be wrote.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
  8. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    i am for hunting at night the coyote population is getting out of hand

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Interesting.

KY is currently one of only 14 states that do not allow any coyote hunting at night.

10. Oscar

Oscar 6 pointer

Sep 22, 2009
    Oscar, KY
    I have wrote several times about it and when i asked about it at the town hall meeting, gassett didnt event want to acknowledge the question. People that are going to shoot a deer at night, are going to do it anyhow. As far as safety, i personally think is inst that unsafe. No more than hunting anything else with a rifle. Accidents happen.
    Heck, look how the gun laws are in illonis and they let you use rifles at night.....
    I am all for it, even with rifle, even a $20 permit isnt out of the question, since the dept is apparently broke.

11. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Not so..........

12. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    I think there are 41 States now that allow some form (lights or no lights) of predator hunting at night. AZ. just recently joined the list

Not only coyote needs to be hunted at night, but KY. is right on the verge of having a feral hog explosion. It needs to be added also.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Actually, looks like KY is one of only 9-10 states...

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Connecticut
    Hawaii
    Delaware (night hunting for ptedators is allowed but they don't list yotes)
    New Mexico
    Rhode Island
    Tennessee

Not sure about Arizona.

50 state survey from 2010-11'.

Hightechredneckincorporated.com/article_a/138.htm

14. yotechaser

yotechaser 6 pointer

Jul 2, 2010
    no warning shot, KY.
    [QUOTE=Fat Tony

Not sure about Arizona.

Yes AZ just passed it for 2012.......trial and error (shotgun only) only in certain units for mt. lion (bighorn sheep demise) and coyote (pronghorn fawn demise)

15. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

You co was giving you lip service to get rid of you. When we lost what we had I protested a great deal and asked why. I was told to get an adc permit and start trapping if I wanted to help local farmers.

It was tried and people failed to follow regs, that simple. You want lights and laws do not allow for it. Lights and rifles are not going to be discussed as it stands right now.

Farmers are not going to stand for lights and rifles either!! How much land has been off limits to hunting because of poaching? I have gotten those cussings for somebody elses dirty work just for asking to hunt coyote. I've lost livestock myself to idiots with lights and rifles. Who do you think has more clout with the KDFR, you or the landowner?

If you truly want this, you are going to have to ask for severe limitations yourselves. No lights, shotgun only and maybe they will think about it. Jimmie