NIGHT TIME HUNTING FOR Predators.

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Austin, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Austin

Austin Fawn

Jun 10, 2010
    Trimble County, Ky
    This is a discussion brought up, and I ALWAYS see more people for it than against it. Here is what i see as pro/con:
    Pro: Better chance for predators to show up to sets and an increase in predator kills will increase small game and deer population.
    Cons: Illegal hunters who poach deer (Those who poach will do it no matter what)

If we want this, we have to push for it together! Lets hear your idea's, pro/con.. for/against. I am for it!

2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I vote no.

GA Game Warden shot by coyote hunter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special
    Coyote hunters shot and killed 37-year-old Christopher Arby Upton of Monroe, Ga., Friday night.

The fatal shooting of a USDA Forest Service law enforcement officer by coyote hunters in Jasper County remained under investigation today by state and federal wildlife authorities.

"At this point, charges, if any, have not been determined," said spokeswoman Melissa Cummings of the Georgia Wildlife Resources Division. "It is still under investigation and we are working with the Forest Service on this one."

The officer, 37-year-old Christopher Arby Upton of Monroe, Ga., was shot and killed about 11 p.m. Friday while patrolling in the Ocmulgee Bluff Equestrian Recreation Area of the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest.

The man who shot him, Norman Clinton Hale, 40, of McDonough, Ga., was hunting coyotes with a high-powered rifle equipped with night-vision equipment. He was accompanied by another man, Clifford Allen McGouirk, 41, of Jackson, Ga., authorities said.

According to the their accounts of the incident, Upton was behind a berm, using binoculars, and the binocular lenses apparently looked like eyes through the men's night-vision scopes. They later told investigators they mistook Upton for a coyote and shot him. They subsequently dialed 911 to report the shooting and are cooperating with investigators.

Coyotes are a nuisance species in Georgia and there is no closed season, Cummings said. They may be hunted year-round, and at night, with no bag limits-and the equipment the men were using is legal for such hunts.

Steven Ruppert, special agent-in-charge for the Southern Region of the Forest Service, said in a letter to employees today that the incident has been a terrible tragedy.

"We are all aware of the inherent risk and danger of this job," he wrote. "Ability, training, and experience, however, cannot protect us in all situations even though we do the right thing. Chris was doing his job and doing it well."

Law Enforcement Col. Homer Bryson of Georgia's Wildlife Resources Division said the officer was killed instantly-and blamed the tragedy on the failure of the shooter to properly identify his target before pulling the trigger.

The accident marks the 32nd accident and eighth hunting related fatality in Georgia for the 2009-2010 seasons, according to Department of Natural Resources records.

The eight fatalities included-in addition to Upton's death-two deaths attributed to natural causes (stroke and heart attack), one "mistaken for game" shooting, one accidental, self-inflicted shooting, a rattlesnake bite and two falls from deer stands.

By comparison, Georgia's 2008-09 hunting season yielded 34 hunting accidents with four fatalities. Two of those cases involved heart attacks and two were due to falls from tree stands. There were no fatal shootings, but state authorities did investigate six people who were shot by other hunters in cases where people were mistaken for game; and six cases of accidental self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

One of victims among those 2008 shootings was a Georgia game warden, Cpl. Curtis Wright, who was shot in the lower chest with a 7 mm magnum rifle by a deer hunter 70 yards away. He survived his wounds but has since retired.

The deer hunter who fired the shot, Lynn Jeffers, eventually pleaded guilty to negligent use of a firearm, hunting without hunter education certification, hunting without a license and hunting without permission. He received four years of probation plus fines and was given first offender status, according to DNR records.

During the 2007-08 season, there were five shooting fatalities, of which four involved children or teenagers. During 2006-07, there were no fatal shootings and the single reported fatality involved a fall from a tree stand.

Most hunting accidents occur during deer season, which attracts the most participants. Typically, about 350,000 people hunt in Georgia each season.

Upton, a 4-year veteran of the Forest Service, previously worked as a game warden for the U.S. Marine Corps and as a game warden and pilot with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission. He is survived by his wife, Jessica, and a 4-year-old daughter, Annabelle.

3. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I've done some night hunting in Indiana and wish we could here. Here's my idea of how we could do it in Kentucky, shotgun or rimfire, artificial lights and on private land only.

4. Austin

Austin Fawn

Jun 10, 2010
    Trimble County, Ky
    Agreed with the private land. Hunter Safety is a strong subject taught in Kentucky. The actions of others cannot be controlled by you. I had an extra comment on here, but single minded people did not see my point and i thought i was for drug abuse while hunting. Clearly, I am NOT.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    what? you want to smoke dope and yote hunt in ky? at night.:confused:

6. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Which is exactly why I do not agree with night time hunting. You may be the safest hunter in the woods, but in my mind, a spotlight and a firearm just don't mix. In a perfect world, night hunting wouldn't be an issue. Most laws were created to protect us from ourselves, and usually the result of either a senseless or stupid act of someone in the field.

I am not sure where you are going with the marijuana comment. If you are advocating it's use while hunting, you need to step back and re-evaluate your perspective on hunting.

7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I love to coyote hunt but i would be against it, i think it would be more trouble than its worth everytime you went out the CO would be called by people thinking your poaching or trespassing at night most cant seam to grasp were lights are coming from and report you which in return would blow your setup and more educated coyotes would be the end result, also more people who think they can just go out and call useing a light and they will just showup will be going and educate them even more and once a coyote is educated you aint going to kill him. My suggestion is to learn how to call and hunt them during the day and not try taking the easy route out because in the end its alot safer and people who deer hunt wont get sturdup because joeblow is tearing the woods up all night. There are alot of idiots out there hunting i dont want them shooting at night no matter what they are useing because i gurantee if the law said 22 or shotgun someone is going to use what ever they want and it would just be a matter of time before someone got killed. We have great oppertunitys to hunt them in Ky no season and very few restrictions.

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I probably wouldn't do it if it was allowed, but I have no problem with it if there were limitations in place. Ohio and Indiana allow it but they are both shotgun states.

The coyote population has exploded up here in NKY. What we are currently doing is not keeping their numbers from going up...I'd be for any tools that would help folks roll back their numbers a bit.

9. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I believe you should be able to hunt predators however you wish on your own property, but I think that if it was ever brought up for a vote shotgun or rimfire only would help ease people's worries. I have heard of no problems in Indiana and they allow it on public land as well. Also even though they don't allow high powered rifles for deer up there, there's no restrictions when hunting predators. I'd also say it's a safe bet that people already do a fair bit of night time coyote hunting in Kentucky now. It's not that big a deal to me really, I can go 30 minutes up the road and do it legally.

10. Yote59

Yote59 6 pointer

Jul 15, 2011
    South Central KY
    Bo more dangerous hunting at night than in the daylight.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I dont believe the numbers killed would go up but i do believe the numers called in and educated to what a call is would there for making them that much harder to kill. If you were a CO would you want to be called out everynight multiple times ? I realy dont want someone shooting a gun in the dark no matter what it is because in the heat of the moment better judgment usualy goes out the door.

12. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I would be all for it with proper safety regulations put in place.

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

They do it on public land in Ohio, too. I'm sure there are but I have never heard of problems assiciated with it. And talking to guys that do night hunt with those crazy red lights that mount on top of their scope that looks like something from Halo, they freely choose it over day hunting. They shoot a lot of them, too, slugs or not. That being said, not like there would be an army out there at night. Some would take advantage of it. Vast majority wouldn't.

All for opening more opportunities and then letting people choose on their own.

Heck, sell an extra permit for it and raise some new revenue.

14. Austin

Austin Fawn

Jun 10, 2010
    Trimble County, Ky
    No no no, i was saying that they allow something as ridiculous as drugs to be used legally. But they wont allow night hunting in ky.

15. Austin

Austin Fawn

Jun 10, 2010
    Trimble County, Ky
    Good idea on the extra permit!