Night time coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by 93chromedaytona, Mar 9, 2019.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Green Britches would write you about 10 citations, confiscate your weapon and scope...you would probably not get it back.

Deputy Sheriff would probably want to check out your scope, and tell you good luck and good hunting.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Not only would they take your rifle set up with everything on it but also your caller, ATV and truck & ATV trailer.

Oh yea, you better have the paperwork for the suppressor on your person. Plus you better have your explanation ready when the BATF comes calling wanting to see your suppressor and you do not have it any more. Good luck with THAT.

Good luck getting any of it back.

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    you worry too much. :)

4. If only the KDFW would allow air gun hunting at night . Wow what a idea . Todays modern airguns are silent thanks to the built in silencers so after you put one down the other 6 don't go running off like they do when you use a shotgun and you can kill all 6 in a matter of minutes . If only hunters would call the KDFW and ask them to allow airguns with night vision scopes attached to be allowed we could start making a dent in the coyote problem in Ky . All anyone needs as a 22 caliber 950 fps airgun .This gun will put out 30 fpe which is more than enough to kill a coyote from 5 to 50 yards away . after that the fpe starts to drop making it way safer than any buck shot from a shotgun that is now allowed to be used . One of the shells from a shotgun that is allowed 1# buck shot has 15 ,30 caliber pellets inside the shell and when fired has enough fpe to kill a person out to 100 yards away stone cold dead But the shot gun is allowed but a airgun that only produces enough fpe to kill a coyote at 50 yards is not , very strange don't you think ? Call and talk to the people at KDFW and tell them you want to use a airgun at night to kill coyotes . If enough people call they just might allow it to be used .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  5. If you use the modern airguns that have high fpe at 100 yards or closer they are safer than any shot gun and buck shot . A #1 buck shot which is 15 count 30 caliber pellets in 1 shell that has fpe at 100 yards of 48 fpe which is enough to kill a person , but a 30 caliber airgun has 11 fpe at 100 yards . If you mount a nightvision scope on a airgun you can kill a coyote at 50 yards and be safer than any shotgun with a buck shot load which is legal . With a shotgun you don't just have 1 30 cal pellet coming out of the gun ,you have 15 pellets all flying through the air that if 1 of those pellets hit a person at 100 yards it would kill them stone cold dead so if you think you are safer with a shotgun and a buck shot load over a airguns single 30 cal pellet aimed at a coyote with a nightvision scope you are badly mistaken. Not only is the airgun safer its silent and you can kill 5 or 6 with out spooking them . People need to call the KFWR and ask for the use of a airgun to be used at night for coyotes .

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Welcome back!

hatsan125sniper likes this.
  7. Thanks carnivore . I keep telling the KFWR something has to be done about the coyote population and a good safe way to make a bent is to do what other states are doing and thats using a airgun at night with night vision . The modern air guns are so quiet but have lots of power at ranges of 100 yards or closer . Its the perfect gun if safety is there main concern. I was told that enough people emailed them and showed a interest in it they might would add it . But it seems most hunters in Ky don't know anything about the modern air gun and just how accurate they are . They all think the airgun is just a toy . so no one is calling them . Its taken till 2018 before they even allowed the airgun to be used for deer hunting . Ky is so far behind the rest of the states as far as air gun use . But for coyotes in Ky the population is out of control and something has to be done and like someone said in the post before this one hunting at night with a night vision scope is the way to go so stick a airgun under the scope and hunters can start working on the population . Maybe you can call the KFWR people and say let us use a air gun at night . You only need a airgun that produces around 900 to 950 fps using a 22 cal 14.3 grain pellet to kill a coyote out to 100 yards . They could limit the airguns power and caliber to keep them safe for night hunts . but power airgun is going to be safer than a shotgun using any of the buck shot loads . Just to make a air gun have the same fpe as a #1 buck shot that is a 30 cal your air gun would have to shoot a 40.5 grain pellet at over 1,000 fps to have the same 48 fpe that the shotgun shell produces at 100 yards . So to me if you are going to allow a shotgun with any buck shot load then there is no good reason not to allow air gun to be used .

8. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I don't see why they don't allow suppressed thermal hunting for em. Other states successfully do.

9. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Y’all make fun of this dude but he’s got a point IMO.
    I own a gamo it’s not a air rifle but it’s powerful. I haven’t killed nothing big with it but on YouTube my same gun killed a 100lb or so hog. Shot placement is key. Some of these air rifles I’ve seen are badass. I don’t see why it won’t work.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
  11. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Dude has his view point. As a kid, I killed a lot of stuff with a pump up air gun.

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Tell that to the dozen or so coyotes that have been shot at LBL in the last two yrs with a 17 WSM.
    None were recovered, or the two I shot this yr with a 223 and a 40 gr bullet that were spinners biting at they're sides and running off, without a drop of blood.
    Your a fool if you think a pellet gun is going to kill a coyote even 2% if the time.
    Like said before a pellet gun is a great tool for killing barn yard pest and squirrels, but it ain't no killing machine!

Feedman and Winchester94 like this.
  13. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Your right. I don’t disagree. The gamo I have I wouldn’t take it coyote hunting.
    I really don’t know what air rifle he’s talking about but some of them high dollar ones with the air canisters and such and bigger calibers are bad ass. I’ll never have one. Lol. People are hog hunting with them and I don’t what all but a well place shot will bring it down. But whatever. I’ll still hunt with my .223.

14. I'm sorry you are not a very good shot and you don't have a very accurate gun ,but with the right weapon and lots of practice so you know where the shot is going to go a coyote will drop like a rock with a 22 cal 950 fps air rifle . Watch this first video its with a fox but he talks about how important it is practicing and use a accurate gun . Maybe you need some more trigger time behind your guns . That's the nice thing about a air gun you can shoot 500 22 cal pellets for 7 dollars so you can practice a lot for just about nothing and when the time comes to pull the trigger you will hit your target in the heart or brain and it won't go anywhere . this video will show you something about airguns . You think like the guy in the video . here is 2 coyotes taken at 50 yards with a airgun . this is a coyote down with a fx impact airgun . They are not the airguns you are thinking of from the past . this video he uses a coyote airgun but he kills a hog which are a little harder to kill but the air gun has enough fpe to take a hog so a coyote is no problem at all . You remind me of the guy with the beard in this video . You just don't know the fpe the new airguns can produce . This is a 30 cal air gun with night vision and you can see that the airgun dropped it in its tracks . You might want to call me a fool but think once other hunters watch the videos they will know coyotes can be easily killed with a airgun . It just takes a good hunter that can shoot straight . I think the others members will see who the fool really is .

Coyote hunting at night with night vision and airgun is the safest and most efficient way to kill coyotes when center fire rifles are not allowed (not counting trapping) . A shotgun is a 1 coyote and your hunt is done for a long time but with the silent airgun you can take 5 or 6 in a matter of minutes .

I would agree you would not be a good candidate for night time coyote hunting with a airgun because you have to be able to hold your gun on target so stay in your bed at night and leave the night time hunting for those who can shoot straight .

Sorry to make you look like a fool riverboss but you're so stupid it hurts not to . I hope its okay to call someone stupid if they call you a fool that sounds fair to me .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  15. Thanks ole raspy they only make fun because they are uneducated and its just going to take time before hunters realize the fpe the newer air guns can produce and just how pin point accurate they really are .
    You are right shot placement is key and with 500 rounds for 7 dollars you can put a lot of trigger time behind the gun for penny's a shot so when the time comes and hopefully the KFWR will allow it to be used at night you will drop them like a rock even with a 22 cal with no problem at all .

The 22 cal airgun is already allowed during the day so there is no debate that the airgun doesn't have the fpe the only debate is to allow it at night .

Its going to take hunters calling or emailing them to allow it .

I guarantee the first time you shoot 5 or 6 coyotes in the same spot as fast as you can pull the trigger at night with a airgun with a night vision attached to your scope or even the night vision scope you will be hooked for life and you will never hunt coyote any other way . The more hunters that call the faster they will add it as a legal weapon to be used at night for coyotes .

Even if you are a hunter like riverboss that don't think it will get the job done at least call and ask for it to be legal so the hunters that want to go out at night can make a dent in the coyote population unless you just don't care that the coyotes are taking over Ky .

They are killing cats,dogs and running off deer that hunters are trying to keep on there lands and they are killing the farmers animals so call and ask for airguns to be allowed at night for that reason alone .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019