Night time coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by 93chromedaytona, Mar 9, 2019.

1. 93chromedaytona

93chromedaytona Spike

Nov 20, 2014
    I am new to the coyote game and curious on how some others approach night hunting. I am aware its shotgun (no slugs) only in KY. Just curious how you guys are doing it with success. Ex: go out as soon as its dark/midnight/4am? What calls your starting with? Once you determine a set is no good, how far away should your next set be? Is everyone setting up on field edges, or any luck in the woods at night? Also curious to see some shotgun setups. I am looking into a red light for my shotgun. I know you can spend $50 on an amazon light (that gets good reviews) or $400 on a coyote light. I don't need to see eyes at 500yrds.

2. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    It is not impossible to Legally kill Coyotes at night.
    Just....Almost impossible.

Until Night Vision scopes mounted on a center fire rifle becomes Legal, you would be much better served by hunting them in the Daytime...early morning.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I thought you could only hunt coyotes at night during the month of February.

4. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    February through May.

5. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    You can hunt coyotes at night all year. But only with lights/night vision Feb 1 through May 31. The rest of the year is hunt by moonlight only.

6. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Ive had more success calling them up at night, but getting them into shotgun range isnt so easy. last year one night I sat up in my deerstand overlooking a harvested cornfield, set my caller about 25 yards out in front of my stand, and called 4 coyotes up. Spotted them at about 200 yards out and watched them come up to around 90 yards and wouldnt come no closer. they lingered around longer than I expected they would, one even sat for a bit, but they hung up too far out for me to shoot with a shotgun.

7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Thats the way it is. They will definitely show up...they are Out hunting anyway. They are easy to get within a hundred yards or so, but its pi$$in in the wind unless you can use a Rifle.
    The law is screwed up. Useless.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Carl likes this.
  8. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    The libtard PETA supporting curs in Frankfort are
    trying to protect the poor little coyotes. What else could it be? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    yeah I mean I hate the way the law is about not being able to use a rifle at night, we could really do some damage on the coyote population if that were legal.
    But on the other hand I do understand why the law is the way it is. From a safety standpoint, a high powered rifle bullet can travel miles, and when shooting in the dark it is easier to get disoriented and shoot in a unsafe direction you wouldnt if it were daylight.

hatsan125sniper likes this.
  10. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    This forum needs an unlike button,
    Unlike.jpg

11. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    JR in KY, I agree that it's useless to have a night season that doesn't include the use of a rifle. I've seen discussions on Facebook that the main reason Kentucky doesn't allow rifles at night is because of there being so many cattle operations and their opposition to it. I think that is a poor argument because if I own land I should be able to use whatever weapon I want.

12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Yeah, that's total BS about the cows. I have almost 100 cows and ain't shot one accidentally yet.
    A feller I know bought a NV scope and killed 32 Coyotes with it on a AR 15 the first year, and he wasn't hunting very hard. A feller I know....jest sayin.
    Simple to avoid shooting Cows.... If it's a Damcow, Dont shoot it.
    Can you tell the difference between a 1000# COW and a Coyote?? Sure you can.

13. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Agree 1000%

14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    so what do you think the penalty would be if a person got caught using a rifle at night for yotes? suppressor, trijicon IR scope, AR platform......
    as far as i know, it's OK to shoot a gun at night, or am i wrong?

15. 93chromedaytona

93chromedaytona Spike

Nov 20, 2014
    I am not sure what the fine would be, but I am sure your riffle would be confiscated. That in itself wouldn't be worth the risk. Warden would prob take the riffle and not fill out any paperwork!;)