Night Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Gun7alk, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Talked to an old fox hunter about the light scanning issue that everyone says is spooking the yotes at close range. He said when he fox hunted he shined the light up in the air instead of off to the side. Then, he would shine the light directly on the fox for a shooter to shoot when it was within range. He said you have to be fast cause as soon as the light hits em directly, they are gone.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    That's what I do. I keep the "center" of the light high and pick up the eyes in the lower part of the "halo" of the light.

The only time I have a light centered on a coyote is the shooting light on my shotgun.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Anyone going now that the moon is full. Got in last night after dark from work and thought it would be a good night to coyote hunt; With the bright moon and snow cover you could see really well.

4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Going to try it this weekend after the snow stops.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

5. willy09

willy09 Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Best way I've ever killed coyotes is set out a lone hen decoy and act like I'm turkey Huntin. Coyotes just love fresh turkey as much as I do!!!