Night Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Gun7alk, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BG33

BG33 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2008
    Manchester, Kentucky
    That's where I have been today. Doctor says in the next week she will be here. My hunting will slow down quite a bit.

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Ive killed alot of coyotes with both rifle and shotgun. I think the shotgun is the best tool for night hunting there shouldnt be any doubt as to your target up close. I dont think night hunting is the best way to start out coyote hunting there is alot to be learned from watching the wsy they aproach a call that you just dont get untill you see it happen. I guess i just dont see why so many people think it is so cool just because you can do it at night.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

3. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I find it odd that those that say night hunting is bad because all it will do is educate coyotes are the same ones that tell new hunters to just get out and hunt. New guys learning it on their own will educate as many if not more than people hunting at night. Yes we will educate several but once we learn more about it it can be an effective tool. The farm I hunt the dogs just aren't staying on it much and mostly only travel it at night so I'm happy to see the season open up.

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wow, That is a nice variety. Did you shoot any of them?

5. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013

I'm with this guy, your tone of voice at least the way I read it, was that you weren't please with how many coyotes that were being educated!!! :)

6. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Hope everything still moving along smoothly....You know you and I have had it don't you. We will have the cleanest shotguns in two counties when these girls start dating.

On a side note, not that I don't enjoy the time at home with my girls, and keeping them during the day, but I can't wait until May gets here so I can get back on dayshift. Working 4p to 3 or 4a, and usually back up at 8:30 am is making an old man out of me. Plus, the weekend is the only time I have to get things done, so I'm not getting anything done.

7. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    I think before it was legal we said"if we could hunt at night we would stack em up!".Now that we can we are finding it's not so easy.

8. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

It's starting to sound like the waterfowl forum over here! Elitist day time hunters, closer is better shotgun hunters. Next thing will be cyber scouters and geo mapping harvest photos. Hahaha....

9. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
    What waterfowl forum?

Better be careful...they's coming for you!

10. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    So you are allowed your opinion but I'm not allowed mine? By the way, what made you think I was your pal?

11. Tin_Cup

Tin_Cup Fawn

Dec 22, 2013
    Graves Co
    I called several and killed some coyotes back in December and January hunting at night with nothing but moonlight and maybe some snow cover and the ole 870. The senses we hunters rely on are severely diminished at night where as the coyotes are still very keen. I really try to sneak into my stands at night, sometimes it may take me 30 minutes to cover a quarter mile. I try to pick nights with calmer winds to hunt because I like be able to hear well. The coyotes that I've called and seen at night don't seem to play the wind as much they do in the daytime, in fact several came in with the wind at their backs. Heck, I hunted last night and only turned my lights on to scan on the way in and out. Snow cover and moonlight was enough that if it was in range, I could see. Point is, it can be done effectively and safely. Sure, I've educated my share at night, it's a different ball game all together. But, I educate them in the morning, noon, and evening too. We all do.

12. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Got nothing to do with your opinion. It was the way you worded it that appeared you had a problem with what I was saying. As for the pal stuff. Just a figure of speech...No sweat off my minerals if you don't like me. Get in line is all I can tell you.

13. Greenwilly

Greenwilly 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2006
    Shelby Co.
    I thought hunting at night would be really rewarding for those of us willing to stay up late. Boy was I wrong. Pulled a couple of all nighters with nothing to show for. I like having the option to hunt at night but I don't see it having an impact on the coyote population.

14. It's just hard to break old habits. I really enjoy the day hunts and will stick with those but I would like to go out at night a time or two to see what it's like. You just never know until you try something.

Over the years I have called several into shotgun range in the daytime so I think it can be done at night applying the right techniques. At this time I have no idea what those techniques are but I will just follow threads like this until I know enough to give it a spin one night.

15. Gun7alk

Gun7alk 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Everybody educates coyotes morning, day, or night. I doubt were gonna be hunting each other's spot so I don't care how many you educate at your place lol. Don't really care how many I educate at my place either, as long as I have fun and might even kill one along the way.

Night hunting seems like more fun to me just because of how vocal they are at night. Still haven't got out yet though, tried to go tonight and got to my spot and went to play a call and my caller was dead. That figures. Plugged it up, hopefully it'll charge up enough to make a few quick stands in an hour or so.