Night Hunting Thread

Gun7alk

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2013
Figured I'd post a thread where everyone can post about their night hunting trips or share some tips and tecniques.

Haven't got to get out yet. But I went and got a light. It's a Q beam led with the red LEDs. Not sure how it'll work but I'm gonna try it, it's pretty bright. Hopefully their eyes will really pop up with the red LEDs then I can switch over to the bright one when they get close enough. Also picked up some Remington magnum buckshot in 00 buck. Haven't patterned it yet but I will tomorrow. Ordered some #4 buck. Walked out back earlier to shine the light and see how bright it was and there was a group of them going nuts in the field over about 75 yards away. Ran inside and grabbed the call and gun but didn't have any show up. Hoping to get out tomorrow night and try.

Good luck

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
tip number one check your sights at night. we made the mistake last night of not thinking about how we will see the bead on the shotgun if the light isnt right over your shoulder or something. my buddy missed one because of it. putting the reddot on today and gonna let them rest till the weekend then give it another go.

Gun7alk

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2013
Anybody had any success night hunting yet?

Got my gun patterned and all my stuff laid out for tonight. Gonna try to get out and kill one. Went out and found a few spots that look good for it and where I usually hear them at night. Gonna stay away from open fields and big open woods. Try to set up where if one comes in and I can see him he'll be in shotgun range and hopefully dead.

LyonWeaver

Spike
Nov 19, 2013
Lyon County
This crunchy snow on the ground is so loud you might as well be walking in on bubble wrap or snap pops. If they are within a quarter mile they can hear you crunching your way closer. Frustrating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
I'm just curious as to how many actual harvest are going on versus more coyotes being educated. IMO, calling one in is not a successful hunt as I've seen people calling a call in. A successful hunt would be putting one on the ground. Just calling them in and taking a spray and pray at one is doing nothing more then educating the coyote. Again, that is just my opinion.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I agree 100%. I can sit on the porch and listen to them howl. Going out and putting fur on the ground is a different story. Lots of posts about calling them in and not killing any coyotes.

Semp

10 pointer
Feb 4, 2008
Kaintukee
At least these guys are out hunting and not just talking about it. So a few coyotes get educated, who cares. The hunter gets an education too and that how one learns to hunt these critters. Night hunting is new to most of us. The only real way to learn is to get out there and do it.

weedwalker

10 pointer
Nov 27, 2006
London,Ky
Coyotes get educated anyway. It doesn't matter if you're hunting day or night. You probably never see 1/2 of the coyotes you call into your area. So some of them are going to learn your calls. Should you give up?? No way. Keep on hunting. Just change up your calls and stand locations often to keep them guessing.

Madco

Spike
Dec 6, 2010
Richmond, KY
I'm just curious as to how many actual harvest are going on versus more coyotes being educated. IMO, calling one in is not a successful hunt as I've seen people calling a call in. A successful hunt would be putting one on the ground. Just calling them in and taking a spray and pray at one is doing nothing more then educating the coyote. Again, that is just my opinion.

I gotta agree... I am gonna try night hunting. But.. I am just a much bigger fan of callin' them in the day. There is nothin' like watching them come in and making a successful shot! Nighttime hunting = minus 1...

Wildcat

12 pointer
Jan 7, 2002
Ledbetter, Ky.
Every single one of us has educated coyotes while day hunting wither we know it or not. The minute you either turn on a electric call or blow in a hand held call and something is not quite right we educated them. Every time we shoot at one coming into a call and miss we educated them. The truck door slams shut, the caller comes on and a bullet goes over their head you better believe the second they hear a truck door close they are on double alert.

There are several states that have had night coyote hunting with lights and shotguns and they are doing ok. Don't you think they also educated a bunch of coyotes when they first started?? Of course they did. We are doing the same thing. Remember this, the pups born this spring will NEVER have been night hunted when next Feb comes around.

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
At least these guys are out hunting and not just talking about it. So a few coyotes get educated, who cares. The hunter gets an education too and that how one learns to hunt these critters. Night hunting is new to most of us. The only real way to learn is to get out there and do it.

Whoa...Settle down there feller. No need to get your panties in a wad. If you wanna come and work my night shifts for me, I'll go try to educate some.....It was just an opinion there pal, no need to get all worked up over it.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I just notice more people trying it at night than in the day time. I've only been doing this a couple of years now and I have learned a ton from just going out and hunting. The way they use the wind and the routes they choose to come in to a call is a big thing I have learned. I have killed a few and not once could I have killed with a shotgun and that's in the daylight. I know I don't set up for shotgun kills, but this is a tough game no matter how you do it. At night with a light is going to be extremely difficult in my opinion. I just feel like everybody and there brother has got into coyote hunting just because they think it will be easy at night. It isn't easy no matter how you do it.

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
I've got a lot more free time at night than I do during the day and it's the only thing those of us that work during the day can hunt after work. Killing one with a shotgun is a lot like killing a deer with a bow... it's up close and personal.

We went out Friday night. Called in one coyote, two fox and a bobcat. I know where that cat is still hanging his hat so I need to get back out during the daylight and shoot him.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I agree a shotgun kill would be nice, but it's not an easy task. I've killed my share of deer with a bow and killing a coyote with a shotgun is a bigger accomplishment no doubt. I work during the day as well, but nobody works 7 days a week. haha

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
I agree a shotgun kill would be nice, but it's not an easy task. I've killed my share of deer with a bow and killing a coyote with a shotgun is a bigger accomplishment no doubt. I work during the day as well, but nobody works 7 days a week. haha

That's what you think Griff. Wait until Whit hatches the second one, you will find out real quick...LOL. Or at least I did....I thought one was tough when I first took over duties during the day while the wife worked...I'm now finding out after the second, one is gravy......