night hunting coyotes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Dec 21, 2009.

1. MRMMUSTANG

MRMMUSTANG Fawn

Feb 8, 2010
    I am new here
    but I to want to give my opinion on night hunting

We must stay after the people who control the hunting legislation and seasons and restrictions, this is the ony way we will ever accopmlish a night season for coyote hunting.

I do not wish to pay any extra fees but I would be willing to pay $ 30.00 for a special night hunting permit. The money generated from these fees would help the agency.
    Also I feel that most poachers would not bother to purchase this permit so any individuals who do not have the permit while night hunting should be cited.

just my .2 cents but i urge everyone to keep after the commisioners !

please ignore any spelling and grammer errors !

2. teamroughneck

teamroughneck Fawn

Jan 14, 2010
    If poaching deer is the biggest worry in this topic why wouldnt this work:
    Make a night hunting season during the times of year when deer do not have antlers, after the shed and before new growths get out there. They all know round bout dates that I am talking bout. This would cut the poaching risk alot, not many poachers go out and take a chance on a slick head. Just a thought, I expressed this to a couple of guys at the lbl hunt this weekend and didnt get any down sides to this. Just my .02, I am new at the sport of coyote hunting but have seen the difference in success of hunting by night over hunting by day. Let me know if I am just talking out my rear i aint afraid of criticism

3. huntmadd

huntmadd 8 pointer

Oct 2, 2003
    Henry,Kentucky, USA.
    night hunting

As far as if there was a night season I think that would help if it was a short season aftere most buck have lost there rack and no spotlights.That may work but it won't satisfy most and as it is now you can hunt all day long and trap all night every day with no limmit.Food for thought.

4. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    And your point is....:confused::confused::confused:

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

The point is predator 1 he is totally against it. So if we get this , nobody hunt his county at all. What do I care if coyote over run hte whole area and eat all hte fawns and turkey eggs as well as the sitting hens

It doesn't matter to him that coyote prey on 70% of hte fawn crop in many areas.And get as much as 20 % of the turkey crop as well.

Trappers numbers are dropping right along with fur prices. Just how many trappers do you think we have Huntmadd. I have one nearby and he is in another county.It's just a hobby for him keeping beaver out of neighbors fields, he does set the occasional snare but he does not target coyote specifically because the pelts are worthless!!

So , ignore my post some more huntmadd right on up till the deer herd is dropping in your area .Becasue that day is coming with an ever increasing coyote population. That population has increased by two hundred percent since I started huntiing them. And that is with all the trapping and year around hunting, it will continue at about the same rateJimmie

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  6. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    While I see your point Jimmie, I also recognize that the deer herd is the largest its ever been. Unlimited does in zone 1 areas. 4 deer in zone 2. Deer hunter numbers are dropping faster than the deer. New hunters are fewer than in the past. The kids play video games and text each other. Little interest in hunting.

Turkeys are everywhere as well.

Coyotes will continue to expand whether or not we have a night season. Out west they trap, poison, aerial shoot them, everything but bomb them and they are still there.

A night season might slow them down a little but it won't stop their pressure on the deer and turkeys. Also, I don't think we will have a large number of hunters actually hunting at night. If you work and have a family there only so much time in a day.

I am not against night hunting but I don't see it happening.

7. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I don't see us decreasing it any either with a night season. But if it can help us hold our own where we are now , it will be a good thing.

And we are all in trouble if we can't get the kids off the couch. We will become a tiny minority without a voice in the future as hunters and fishermen.Our numbers are getting fewer each year.

Helping to support outdoor programs in schools and neighborhoods is something we need more of. And it would be nice if the hunter safetey program was still done each fall in the schools. Jimmie