night hunting coyotes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Dec 21, 2009.

1. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    Pressing onward

I sent an email to the League Of KY Sportsman asking for there help and imput. Hiope to hear from them.

2. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    I sent a e-mail to my commisioner, probally will never hear anything back but it does'nt hurt to try!

3. pumpkinman

pumpkinman Fawn

Jan 9, 2010
    spotlight....

I raised cattle until recently for many years and have had baby calves killed by coyotes occasionally as they were being born. I live within site of Hamburg in Lexington and we have coyotes here. I see them mostly in winter when feeding hay at night. They are not as afraid of a tractor as they are a truck and as long as you don't miss it's much harder for them to get wise. I suppose "Spotlighting" has a negative conotation because it's been associated with poaching, but in my opinion attributing poaching to spotlighting is kind of like arguing for gun control. The a--holes of the world will shoot animals out of season regardless of whether spotlighting is legal or not. I also don't see where KDFW has a huge argument against it when the deer population (in my opinion) is bordering on out-of-control anyway. If they are concerned about poaching deer and (killing out) all are deer then why is the deer limit so liberal. While I'm ranting why is there a 2 goose limit when there are clearly more geese in central ky than ducks and the duck limit is 6.

4. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I'm sure there is concern for the ease that allowing night hunting coyotes will increase poaching. Currently if someone is shining a field, they are illegal (except a farmer tending stock). With that spotlighting gets reported and poachers get caught.

It would be simple for any poacher to say "I'm coyote hunting" if night hunting year 'round is legal. Not that coyote hunters are poachers, it simply opens the door for opportunity for illegal activity without any way of catching them.

Perhaps a limited season of February thru June or something like that might fly, red/amber lights only and shotgun only. Just a suggestion to consider.

5. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

The very things CSS mentions are why you are not going to get buckshot or lights legalized in this state for night huunting .

But I have seen evidence of folks night hunting with archery gaer as well. This doesn't make all bow hunters slobs either. But it just shows poachers will do whatever in order to make a buck or get that rack. And hearing rumors of 65 a carcass you can bet they are going to steal from the rest of us, since it is hte legal hunter who pays their way as well.

Because of all this illegal activity we are going to have to monitor ourselves far more closely than any other groups of hunters out there. We give the thieves more excuses by wanting and doing this than anyone. If we want an oportunity to put more fur on hte ground and do more good for the wildlife we love , we are going to have to bite a pretty big bullet to get in the door. Jimmie

6. dzldoctor

dzldoctor Fawn

Nov 26, 2009
    Lively Shively
    wow

JIK you have not missed posting on a single page. You posted 3 times on 2 pages. Thanks for all your input. I appreciate you letting the other side give their opinion. :cool:

7. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Here's a fact for you Docz, We had this at one time. And we lost it because some smart alick's screwed this up for those of us who followed the rules to a T. You don't like the facts of life , to bad.

We are dealing with a beauracracy that has done nothing but remove oportunity's for poachers for many years. If you don't like hearing this repeatedly that's also too bad.

Be realistic and help them with this and you may get somewhere. Making it possible to expand on it in hte future.But we have to get it back first !!!!! Jimmie

8. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    If everyone showed as much concern and input as Jimmie, we would already have it back....JMO:cool:

9. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    someting that really gets me, is that Ohio, and Indiana have night time coyote hunting and they allow the use of rifles. while there deer season is shotgun, muzzle loader only. We all know that the terrain in those state are flat as a sheet of paper.Also they still allow spotlighting. So how can they justify in ky. about the safety of bullet travel.
    Are there no poachers in these state or are the g wardens getting out and doing there jobs.

10. huntmadd

huntmadd 8 pointer

Oct 2, 2003
    Henry,Kentucky, USA.
    Night hunting

I don't think this is a good idea at all.both Ohio and Indiana have poching problems becouse of this.If you want to control totes trapping is the answer by far. I will no way vote for any spotlighting period hunting or not. My two cents so let's hear the bashing.

11. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    HUNTMADD,i dont think anybody really expects ky to get a night coyote season where you can use a light,speaking as one who has hunted them at night by the light of the moon i can say it works pretty well,as ive allready said the shotgun is really the only way to go hunting with out a light

12. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Didn't know anyone asked for high powered rifles and spotlights:confused: Read all the post and you will see that the majority of us want shotguns and available ambient light.:)

13. Palegroe

Palegroe Spike

Dec 18, 2008
    Corydon, Kentucy
    My 2 cents

If we do get a night season I don't think it would make any difference in the poachers, the Game Wardens will be chasing the same people night season or not. The ones of us that will abide by the laws that are established will not make any difference in the amount of poachers out there, if anything it should go down because there will be more people out at night and some of them will be following the law, then and that should discurage the poacher in the since that they might run into more people that would turn them in.

14. huntingnut

huntingnut Fawn

Oct 29, 2008

I work a crazy schedule that sends me out of state and often out of country for days at a time...I cant trap...I can hunt however...and I also have 4 kids, so that eats up my daylight hours...I would love to be able to hunt yotes at night...I dont poach, in fact, i'm Federal Law Enforcement. So why are you so anti night hunting?...I hope you have enjoyed your last couple of deer seasons....there may not be many left with absolutist like you around..."I do not like green eggs and ham".....sound familiar...

15. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Huntmadd, ask any trapper and they will tell you they cannot cut coyote numbers to a point we can live with. With fur markets in the toilet , there are not that many trappers runnign any more. Definately not enough to make a dent in the coyote population.

I would be the last person in this state to say we need lights to hunt by. I too deer hunted hard for many years until I discivered coyote hunting . The one thing I hate is a poacher. He steals from all of us and what we have worked so hard to achieve in this state. Most people do not have a clue as to how much impact the coyote is having on eastern deer herds. Some studies are just now coming to light and it is not good from the ones I have read myself. Some states are showing as much as 70 % fawn mortality rates. What does that do for those who are trying QDMA with the deer herd ? ]

What I have talked about so far is very limiting to the coyote hunter but extremely effective if they learn how and work at it. Nights available to hunt will be limited to five , maybe six nights a month at most, unless we get snow cover.

What we are talking about is a possible win win for both the deer hunter and the coyote hunter. And with more legal coyote hunters out there we will get more of those liscence plate numbers of the ilegals because it makes it safer for us if they are caught.Jimmie