night hunting coyotes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Dec 21, 2009.

1. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    Response

I got a response from Miss Laura at the Frankfort office concerning the night time hunting of varmints. She said she would talk it up and get back with me in a couple days.

Please feel free to post any corrisopdence you may of had with the officials.

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I talked with my biologist about it this morning, amongst other things. He said try it and he hoped for the best. But it was mainly an issue of law enforcement just as I thought to begin with. I told him of my success with hunting under moonlight and how well it worked forgetting rid of problem animals. The more we help with reasonable regs ,such as the ones discussed already , it will help our cause.

So gentlemen, are you willing to work with the no light issue. That is the key to getting it back and nothing but coyote. Jimmie

3. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    To light or not to light

I am awaiting a word from the bioligist in Frankfort. I suspect this to be a long enough battle. I agree that no lights will work, but on the other hand lets not sell ourselves short just yet. If we propose a night time season in addition to the daytime year around season and the use of lights and a shotgun on private property we might get them to listen especially if we limit the hours of hunting to stopping at midnight. The person I have been emailing seams very interested in this very proposel.

I know this wont please everyone but it is a good place to start. Please keep this thread moving with your updates on conversations and or email replies from out Dept of Wildlife personel. I dont think the majority of them are opposed to it but like others said it will be an enforcement issue and that scares the bajibas out of some and I do understand there reasoning, but we have to keep trying.

Everyone let them know your interested in getting something started.

4. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

A season running from late november through march would be beneficial. That would give us enough time to actually cut the population some by eliminating those bred females before whelping. Any other time the coyote would have too much cover for us to be succesful.

I just wrote Miss Laura an essay on the subject. I hope like heck I didn' bore her to death ;-) Jimmie

5. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    i got the same responce, lets hope its good news when we get an answer. Ducky out!

6. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    Keep it up.

Good Job fellas!!!!!!!

Power to the yoter hunter:D

7. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I got the same response from her as well!! Hopefully were headed down the right road. I'm gettng excited about the possibility of getting to night hunt. I've never gotten to do it, but it sounds like a blast.:)

8. ROCKMAN

ROCKMAN Fawn

Dec 24, 2005
    CaveCountry
    You also need to contact your Fish & Wildlife Commission Member as he is the person that is supposed to be representing YOU.
    The 3rd District will be having a commission member election this year and Allen Gailor will be running.. I was told he supported night coyote hunting the last time he was a commissioner and if elected would probably do so again.

9. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I'll be honest, I don't know which counties are in which district or where I would go to find out this informaton. Let alone whch district I am in:confused:

10. ROCKMAN

ROCKMAN Fawn

Dec 24, 2005
    CaveCountry
    Go to F&W home site, Click on "Our Agency", Click on Commissioner Office", Clink on "District Commision Members"

You can then click on whichever Commision Member you like and it will list which counties are in that district and the member's phone number.

*IE....

Terry K. Teitloff - 1st District

Dale Franklin, Chairman - 2nd District

James A. (Tony) Brown, Sr. - 3rd District

Dr. James R. Angel - 4th District

Dr. James R. Rich, 5th District

Stephen M. Glenn - 6th District

Doug Hensley - 7th District

Rick D. Storm - 8th District

Taylor Orr - 9th District

District Commission Members

11. dzldoctor

dzldoctor Fawn

Nov 26, 2009
    Lively Shively
    Thanks

Thanks Rock man you answered my question! I recently attended the trapping workshop at Barren with Laura Patton she is reasonable and impressed me as a biologist who respects the needs of all species in the state, good choice duxdown 1. I will contact her and Tony Brown ASAP. I hunt deer and I think coyote control is going to be a key to a great deer herd.

12. jmo05

jmo05 Fawn

Dec 22, 2009
    henderson,ky
    Does anyone think that rimfire rifles could also be considered for a night season. They don't seem to be worried about coon hunters carrying them.

13. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Thanks

Thanks Rockman. I'll be giving my comissioner a call tomorrow:)

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

You want the best weapon for the job , and espescially at night. We couldn't carry any kind of light or we would have been in violation of hte laws at that time. A shotgun and bb's loads anchored them then and there with no tracking nescescary. Many times , not even a 22 mag will get full penetration . Therefore you have no blood trail to follow.

I think the chances of richocet are to great to risk using any rifle at night. Even the rounds I use in my 22-250 might do so if they managed to go through. Heavy loads from a shotgun are not likely to do so under any circumstance. We tried several options then and decided the best tool for the job was the shotgun. Jimmie

15. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Why not bring it up as a resolution to your district federation to be read at the LKS convention?????? Get yote hunters from different districts to write resolutions for there perticular district and see if they pass to go on to the convention...