night hunting coyotes

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Dec 21, 2009.

1. DUCKY41051

DUCKY41051 6 pointer

Jul 22, 2008
    I just went to www.fw.ky .gov and went to contact us and sent an e-mail straight to fish and wildlife, i even gave them the hunting forum address, so they could see how we all feel about this. I guess we will just have to wait and see, what they have to say now.

2. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I would want season to stay open year round, but I wouldn't a 2 or 3 month long night season to go along with it. Kinda of like they split the deer seasons among rifle, bow, and muzzleloader. Heck I would settle for shotgun only at night. Talk about up close and personal:eek::eek:

3. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

I think shotgun only is an excellent idea. That way the idiots that caused us to lose it in the first place would not have an excuse. I would be happy with no lights again and just hunting the nights of the full moon phase if we could get it back. Jimmie

4. im1cardfan

im1cardfan 6 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    grayson co.
    shotgun only is a pretty good and safe idea, I think we need the light to make sure of what we are shooting at. JMO

5. xtreme1

xtreme1 Fawn

Dec 20, 2007
    I'll try not to be to long winded on this topic but it drives me crazy. I live in Ohio but hunt mostly in Kentucky. In Ohio deer gun is shotgun only, no rifle. On the other hand you can coyote hunt at night, and use a rifle. I have yet to hear anyone really complain about accidents or safety.

In Ky. you have a longer gun season(rifle permitted), yet they will not let you hunt coyote at night. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me so I asked two KDFW officers I know about it. The thing that gets me is they had the same response. Their answer was that it is too hard to control poaching if you allow hunters out at night with anything other than a shotgun with shot in it(coon hunters), anyone with a rifle can say they are coyote hunting when they are actually poaching. I call B.S., if someone is going to poach they are going to poach.

They worst thing for most of you guys in Ky. is that you don't get to experience hunting coyote in their enviroment. Night hunting is a different rush, you get much more close and personal with them. I would love to see them change the law since the land I hunt in Ky. is better and probably safer(more hills) than where I hunt in Ohio.

Anyway, just my opinion. Another way for the state to make their jobs easier when people are still poaching. I guess thats why we don't make the laws we are just expected to follow them.

Good luck, happy hunting, and keep'em in the cross-hairs.

6. gravescohunter

gravescohunter 6 pointer

Dec 1, 2008
    graves co ky
    I would say that f&w will not go for the night hunting with a light,if they did give it back.I like the shotgun only idea,also on a clear full moon night you would be surprised how well you can see after your eyes adjust.

7. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I agree with Jimmie, best leave "well enough alone", IF you start asking for "seasons", you might end up with closed season on 'yotes (NOT what Ky needs)...

I would support night hunting IF nothing else changes in the seasons, weapons etc. (with or without lights) Just my $.02 and easily worth half that :D

8. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I, too, would love to be able to coyote hunt at night. I'm sure that the state feels that too much deer poaching would occur, and I'm also sure that there would be some goober who would shoot a big deer at night, while coyote hunting. But, this same goober would shoot that deer in the daylight, out of season, if he had the chance. You could open up a season on field mice, and there would always some idiot that would figure out a way to break the law. I think the state should consider allowing varmint hunting at night, and I will be glad to gibe them my opinion.

9. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Contact your KDFWR Commissioners and voice your desire to bring back night hunting of 'yotes, be polite and remind them of the recent fawn kill studies, IF enough folks request it , odds are it will go up for a vote.....

Keep in mind though, some of the deer clubs may object ...

10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    KDFWR must not require you to know how to spell or use decent grammar.

If you guys are thinking about some kind of proposal or something you might want to think about getting some more literate individuals to do this for you.

I tried my best not to go here but there was more than one post that actually hurt to read. Honestly, I am a little embarassed to read the posts and think that this person was hired by KDFWR.

11. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

If you had tried your best you would have kept your mouth shut in the first place Smshdn. Why is it this thing brings out bad manners in many folks?

I don't think it was so much the deer clubs that caused us the problem. The officers themselves were most likely having to sort this out far too much. I heard a lot of folks using lights and talking about it. Sales of lights went through the roof in many stores when word got around about coyote hunting at night. As usual regs were busted by some using e-caller when the regs specifically stated mouth calls only . This had to be a pot load of work for officers trying to do thier jobs. Jimmie

12. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I agree with all of that, I DO think there is a good chance of getting it back IF enough folks want it, especially with the recent fawn kill reports, however I also expect the deer clubs and bow hunter clubs would protest it , we'd have to be ready for that IMHO

IOW, we should be able to convince these groups that killing more 'yotes benefits them as well ;)

13. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    I don't know how any deer club could object to night huntin coyotes when i hunted all bow season and gun season and only saw one yearling deer. That being said anyone that can't figure out what is going on with the fawns is not to bright, and excuse me if my spelling and grammer was not good enough for you, because you are problaly one of the one's that would be complaning!

14. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

We need to find a way to get livestock owners in on this. They would be our biggest asset. It wouldn't hurt us if we had a state predator hunters asc. either.

As for the deer hunters, all they need to do is check out the LBL and they can see for themselves what happens when coyotes reach the saturation point with the population. If you check ,zone five in hte LBL has been on the trapping list for more years straight than I can remember. I know for a fact that some groups of coyotes in there were eating two adult deer per week during winter months at one time. That is why deer numbers in the LBL have dropped so much few years ago .

With the deer population as it is in many parts of the state we do need some predation. I don't think any body would argue that point. But when it comes down to every worn out buck going down at the end of breeding season, they will get very loud about someone taking out coyotes ;-) Jimmie

15. biggun

biggun 8 pointer

Sep 18, 2007

Smashdn.
    you should do as your momma taught ya. if ya got nuttin good to say... don't say nuttin.

I hate to disagree with you Jimmy. But, if we don't voice our opinions things will stay as they are. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.