night fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by 00noturkey, Aug 14, 2019.

1. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    tonight is a night i think, i would like to be on the lake. maybe not to much fog. the sky is spectacular. if only i could capture a picture of it, with a camera.. in the day, it would not be the same. clouds are there, the moon shows, because it is bright, and the clouds show in a way, that cant be seen, during a day. most won't know, or dont know how this looks. i seen it many times. yet cannot describe it. it might not be the right thread to post this, but so it is.
    i said, what i wanted to. i'll grab my beer, and my smokes, an go back outside for a bit, enjoy it while i can... ..
    dont ya know, by the time i wrote this, when i went back outside, the sky changed. was only 14 mins ago. just like KY., wait just a minute, and the weather changes. the clouds were moving east, as if that will do a lot of good.. Oh Well.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    Summer night fishing is awesome!

3. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    Nothing like being out on the kayak on KY Lake at night, it's just beautiful and relaxing. Bonus when the next morning top water bite is on when the mayflies are hatching.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    drakeshooter, barney and kyhunter99 like this.
  4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Some of my best outdoor memories are night fishing at Laurel lake and Cumberland with dad. Can't beat it.

aceoky and barney like this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Haven’t fished much in recent years. I do miss me some night fishing.

6. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    I got drunker than hell fishing at night several weeks ago. It made every tiny fish we caught so exciting. Havent laughed that hard fishing--ever.

FOWLER2671 and aceoky like this.
  7. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Was on the river 2 nights ago, beautiful & the moon made it easy to spot the fish for bowfishing

8. I’ve wore out the smallies on a couple spots I know at daylight. When a 4-5 pound smalljaws hits your Zaraspook or Sammy on a calm morning it’s on like Al Capone!

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Sammy? Interesting. I’d never heard of them. I’ll have to add a couple before next June

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I think they used to call them Saltwater Sammys. They are a walking bait like a spook or a skitterwalk.

upload_2019-8-28_16-9-42.png

drakeshooter and kyhunter99 like this.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've found a new bait this year that bass love.... Wore Dad out two straight trips, so I ordered him a couple. They are a Dick's exclusive. It's a popper, similar to the Pop R, or Rico. It's a bit heavier than a Pop-R, so you can throw it a long way. But it walks very well, and spits great. It's called a Kraken Popper. It's a really good bait. Dad went this morning, and caught 18 in all, with 4 keepers, but he said he lost a 4 lb smallie, and 4 more good fish that he never got a good look at before they pulled off. All on the Kraken. He put a bigger hook on the tail and we are going in the morning....

12. Yep, Lucky Craft Sammy in some variation of yellow or chartreuse shad or baby bluegill has produced some viscous daybreak strikes for me walking the dog at two locations on Kentucky Lake, both on the south side of Eggners Ferry bridge. The south side mouth of Anderson on the west side and the flat on the south side of Blockhouse on the LBL side are two I’ve killed smallies on at daylight after a night out tossing spinnerbaits.