Newbie to Kentucky looking for words of wisdom

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Tomslick, Dec 21, 2014.

1. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    yet!!!!!!!!

2. Tomslick

Tomslick Fawn

Dec 11, 2014
    Pensacola, for now
    You kidding? I started puberty at a family reunion!!

Glad to hear the fishing will be worthwhile, here's a pic of my bud with one taken half an hour from my house...no lusting!! ralph.jpg

3. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Tomslick you a bowhunter??

4. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    We have carp with heads that big!

The hunting is good, and depending on whether you bowhunt or not some close opportunity, gun hunts on most public areas are quota lottery, but the Daniel Boone National Forest is within an hour drive, it's open to gun hunting.

5. Tomslick

Tomslick Fawn

Dec 11, 2014
    Pensacola, for now
    Bowhunt, bowfish, compound, recurve...I like things with strings!

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    If you had caught that in ky it might would be state record. You Florida guys sure have some big bass. What did it weigh?

7. Tomslick

Tomslick Fawn

Dec 11, 2014
    Pensacola, for now
    12.3 pounds. Hate to admit this but it was actually just over the state line in Alabama where he caught it. That's a 'bama bass!!

8. Tomslick

Tomslick Fawn

Dec 11, 2014
    Pensacola, for now
    Sorry, 12 pounds 3 oz. Ralph corrected me! As he was bringing it to the boat, his wife asked if she should grab the net. He said he'd push her out of the boat if she touched his fish!! Think he was a little excited?

9. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    There is nowhere better than Kentucky for a sportsman. We have more shoreline than Florida and the largest elk her east of the Mississippi. Kentucky has become the best trophy whitetail state with great season dates and lots of time to hunt. If you ever have a chance to get into trapping fur or predator hunting it is pretty good too. Especially now that we have a large breeding population of huntable mountain lions. The bear population is growing quickly in the eastern part of the state and their is a small season for them and make sure you shoot every hog you see.

10. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    http://fw.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Is a great website to help explain all the rules, regulations, and guidelines. I will say this though if you can live in a zone 1 area all the better. Keep buying those additional deer permits and help thin out the herd. As an added bonus deer ________(insert favorite cut and/or recipe) tastes great.

11. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    I'm sorry but our fishing sucks compared to Florida and Alabama. Hunting is great though.

12. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    Quiet.....this supposed to be a secret!

13. bluesteel

bluesteel 6 pointer

Aug 11, 2013
    Here is some advice. Land in Kentucky is dirt cheap. Buy all you can. Will you have any buddies come up to visit and hunt?

14. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    you ever hear of British Columbia???? ..............and they even have real breeding mtn lions.

15. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Tomslick, I'm not sure how old you are or if this even pertains to you but you might need a hunter safety card. You may already have one from Florida and it might be transferable. I really don't know how they work but I know that is one thing that could present a roadblock when trying to get on some WMA's. I hate for you to get all wound up and ready to go and get shot down because you don't have an orange card. Or worse get a ticket.