New Truck?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KyBucks10, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Similar thing happened to me. I had a '93 4-Runner that was mysteriously losing coolant. I knew about the head gasket issue and went to Mike Smith Toyota in Paducah and told them I suspected my head gasket was failing. They kept it for a day, told me it was fine, and charged me for looking at it.

A few weeks later, December of '99, heading to Memphis for Christmas, just south of Millington I felt something give when I stepped on the gas. By the time I reached the outskirts of Memphis I had a pretty impressive white smoke screen behind me.... looked like I was setting off WP grenades. Made it into a Walmart parking lot and coasted into a parking spot. She was done. Fluid everywhere. Called Covington Pike Toyota in Memphis the next day. They came and got it, put a NEW engine in it, had it ready to go in about three days, and didn't charge me a penny.

By that time, between my wife and I, we were already on our fifth Toyota (Celica, Corolla, two 4-Runners, and a Camry). Toyota's action on my head gasket issue sealed the deal. A Tundra and another Corolla later, I'll never drive anything else (voluntarily, anyway). I'll also never let the stealership in Paducah do any service again.

2. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    Everyone talks smack about the crappy Dodge around the Cummins engine. Mine is a '94 with over 350K miles and I've had very few mechanical issues. Yes, the tranny went south...WHEN I BUMPED IT UP TO 350hp!

Overall the Dodge has been near bullet proof and my theroy about why they have such a bad rap for stuff breaking is because so many young guys buy em, increase the HP and drive em like their stolen every day. Nothing can handle day to day stop light drag racing (well mine can now :) ) and some 21 year old kid banging away on the tranny and mudding every weekend.

Dodge hit a home run with the "New Dodge" back in '94 and theres a reason you still see so many on the road today. The cummins is amazing, but Dodge put a great truck around it in my opinion.

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Unless I come into some substancial money Ill never buy myself a new truck again..Ill make sure my wife has a new nice vehicle but Im past the days of wanting shiney new trucks..Im perfectly happy with a dependable 79' 4 wheel drive as I am with any other..At least I can work on the older trucks..If they are getting fuel,fire and oil pressure they run. No sensors, no computers etc to drive me crazy..If I could have my old 79' F250 back with a A/C Id never want for another..

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  4. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    Personally there are a lot of factors that I consider when looking to purchase a vehicle. My number one priority though is comfort. Being a large person both vertically and horizontally, I don't want to squeeze into a sardine can. That being said part of my research entails trying to find out as much as I can about a specific vehicle. One place I've found paramount in my quest for real user knowledge is www.carsurvey.org/ There are several honest reviews that state what parts/service needed to be done and at what intervals.

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I believe that your theory is wrong.

I babied my 98 Dodge. Never hauled anything heavier than a load of dirt.It doesn't even have a tow hitch. Religiously changed the Tranny fluid, oil , and every other fluid in the vehicle with 100% synthetic, before the recommended intervals. Never took it mudding, and never raced it. The result: a burned up tranny at 120,000 miles, which resulted in a destroyed rear end, and I have NEVER been able to get it to stop leaking oil....ever.

Frankly, those years of Dodges were just not built right, and I've never gotten a consistent answer to the transmission problem. Everything from bad valves in the lines to the physical parts being made of inferior metal. At this point, no more than I drive it, it's pointless to get a new truck, but had I to do over again, I would never buy a Dodge.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Im glad you go a truck that has served you well! But one truck is hardly enough to make a opinion of the total over all. I have been working in dealers and car truck repair shops for 32 yrs with hundred of mechanics, and only know 2-3 people who have anything good to say about them other than the cummins engine. The ones who like them do so because they like making money off them.

7. kycatfishman

kycatfishman Banned

Dec 22, 2014
    I am a chevy guy but if gas mileage and comfortable ride is your primary concern, stay away from the Chevy 2500 with the 6.0. 11-12 mpg is not fun and unloaded it's pretty rough riding. Any half ton Chevy would fit you. Go for deepest gears you can and it will be able to pull like a truck should.

8. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Get a silverado Z71 package with a 4.8- 5.3 V8 i dont know if the 4.8 is still avalable, i have owned both and milage is about the same 18-19 .

9. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    If you want gas mileage and a car like ride, Toyota is not for you. Those are areas where GM and Dodge have sacrificed other areas for. I will say that I have doubts about mileage in the real world. The Tundra is known as a gas hog, but I get 14.5-15.5 mixed and my neighbor has a Ram that gets 12.5 to 13.5. I'm not sure on the new GM's, but I know the old 5.3 got 14 mpg in my best friends truck. The Eco boost is supposed to get great mileage, but you don't have to look far to see that the mileage they actually get is nowhere near what's advertised. I think they're all real close in the real world. Sure, if you get a GM with a 3.08 rear end and drive on a flat road at 54 mph, you'll get 20 mpg. If you drive it and use it like most people do, you won't.

For me, to would come down to two things. If you need a actual truck, look at a Tundra. They are basically the only TRUCK truck still out there in the half-ton market. They are priced the same or less than the big 3 and have a killer resale. If you want to eek out an extra MPG and want to feel like you're in a car, get a GM (or Dodge). I don't know a thing about the Fords. They have never appealed to me, or anyone that I know.

10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have never had a issue towing with a GM it might not top the hill at 70 mph but it still does fine. I for one drive every day and only tow a few times a month so i will take better gas milage over gas a guzzler any day! You will still get were your going in the end , but you will also have more gas in the tank.

11. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    I bought a 2014 Silverado a couple weeks ago. 5.3, 6-spd auto and 3.73 rear end. It's averaging 16 around home, out on the parkway going to Lexington it'll get up 21-22. Only thing I've tower with it so far is my 20' car hauler with a wrecked ford ranger on it. Almost forgot it was back there.

As far as the tundra being the only REAL 1/2 ton, I guess that's why you see soooooo many of them in use as power company, oilfield, construction, logging and mining trucks. They're fine as driveway decor but they don't hold up to hard use.

12. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    pretty sure they people making the decisions to purchase fleets of trucks for power, oil, construction and mining companies are looking at the competitors in the class and putting financial analysis first and foremost, prioritizing price, and maintenance with everything else being secondary, so that probably isn't a good judgment. Now an analysis of a retired fleet of trucks after being used in such a manor would be interesting.

13. KyBucks10

KyBucks10 12 pointer

Dec 5, 2008
    Burgin, Kentucky
    It wasn't my Ranger you had back there, was it? LOL!

PS, Just a small update. I'm still looking. I'm leaning towards a Sierra at this point. I found a 2008 in Louisville that is about at the top of my price range, but its the nicest one I've seen so far. I found several down in Somerset that are a little older, but would be a whole lot easier on the wallet. They're not way out of whack on mileage, either. Just topped over 100K. The search continues!

14. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Ok let me rephrase. The company I work for has roughly 150 pickups on the road, was a coal company from the 70s till late 80s then got into natural gas pipelining and well service work. We wring everything we can get out of a pickup, hard everyday use, a lot of rough off-road driving and pulling/hauling heavy loads. Company buys it's own trucks. Our fleet is about 50% 3/4 and 1 tons with the other half being half tons. 95ish% across the board Chevys. They've tried Tundras twice, and both times they fell apart. They're not built to handle day in day out work like a 1/2 ton Chevy or Ford.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw 10 pointer

Oct 2, 2005
    Northern Ky
    I have a 2012 GMC Sierra. Before that an 01 Z71. My new truck is crew cab with 5.3. I have had two door lock actuators go out an were repaired under Warranty. I have 36k on it now. It averages 17mpg around town an 20-21 on long trips. I love the truck an Hope it gets 160k plus as my O1. I almost bought a Tundra as we have had multiple 4runners as well as ext cab 92 4x4 ( best vehicle I've ever owned) in 35yrs. I think any of the trucks out there will have their good an bad. Never been a Dodge fan tho after seeing my friends fall apart. Good luck with your choices an go with the best deal for you.