New Traps

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by FranciscoJ, Oct 2, 2014.

1. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Can't really put out for a set of mb550 traps. Was wondering though, would a set of these be ok to get me going? They are #2 traps with a 5.5" jaw (minimum I have read for Coyotes).

Link to Ebay Auction

trap.jpg

2. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Yes they will work. They will need a little work before there ready. A #2 duke needs nightlatched,pan leveled,the chains not great but it will do. They will also need a double stake swivel or earth anchor. You will catch more critters with 12 dukes vs 6 mbs but keep in mind they pretty much need constant adjustment

3. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    What Mainbeam said. I have 6 I got in my second year. They are the only traps that I had coyotes pull out. It wasn't the traps fault, it was mine for not doing a better job adjusting the pan tension but I won't be buying more of them. If you are looking to buy traps off eBay you might want to take a look at fntpost.com or minntrapprod.com. for price comparison. Minnesota Trapline Products has an October special on Bridger #2 with regular or offset jaws for $119/dozen. The Bridgers are a whole lot better trap IMO and well worth the few extra bucks compared to the Dukes. I'm not knocking Dukes. The great majority of my traps are Dukes but if you could hold a #2 Duke in one hand and a #2 Bridger in the other I believe you'd see a big, big difference.

4. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    That's what I used my first year. I didn't know anything and didn't know other trappers...I was trying to learn from books and magazine articles. I had duke 1.5's and 2's just like those. I had a lot of trouble with pan tension, bedding and general tuning. I got rid of the #2's after that season and switched to fully modified bridger #2's. Money on MB's is well spent because the traps will compensate for lack of knowledge on how to tune them. You still have to learn how and where to make a set. But I would have been better off with better traps and you probably would be too.

If you are only trapping one property and running the sets all season, then just a few traps is all you will need any way.

5. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    Consider juts a regular jaw bridger number two if your looking to save some cash an don't wont to dive in on the mbs. I think you could get started very well with a stock number two bridger an can upgrade them with mods next year if you like trapping or trade them to mbs . There a bit more than dukes a bit less than mbs an there resale or trade value would be better for you if you decide you didn't wont them. Like many said mbs are good for the money excellent trap ready to go (almost) any way. Happy trapping.

6. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    If you get the bridger #2. I would get the dogless #2. They don't cost much more. I use a#2 bridger now. When I get more traps they will be the dogless or mb 550's.

7. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    Those will work just fine until you decide if trapping is for you, get them tuned. If you have access to a welder, laminate and base plate and change the chain and they will be bullet proof. Welcome to trapping!

8. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    I am a certified welder. Does that count?...lol Can you explain these mods?

9. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Great...thanks! I am watching some videos on it. Honestly, trapping is a very hands-on approach to hunting. While I am sure there's a ton to learn before I do it, still seems like a lot of stuff right up my alley...

11. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    F&T is running a special on Duke 1.75's this month. May be other deals, I don't pay much attention to sales on Dukes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Algenco

Algenco 8 pointer

Jan 15, 2006
    Nancy
    just got home from the UTK Fall meet with 2 doz MB 550's :eagerness:

13. mchunter

mchunter 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2005
    Marshall County, Kentucky
    I also started out with duke #2s. I also have a bunch of victor 1.75s that were given to me. (which is basically the same trap). Like a lot of people have said, they will catch coyotes,but a stock duke is not a very tough trap. A little, or a lot of adjustment will have to be done after nearly every catch. The problems I have experienced with them are bent dogs and frame, keeping pan tension and the chains. Believe it or not, I actually had a possum break a chain on a duke. The chain got wound up in some vines and clogged the swivels. He twisted the chain enough till it broke but the vines held and kept me from loosing the trap. Since I already have them, I have started modifying a few each year. New chain and baseplates so far. I bought a few P.I.T pans at the fall fling for them this weekend and I'm gonna 4 coil and laminate a few this year also. When I get them all done the will be one heck of a trap IMO. But keep in mind if you decide to go with the dukes and modify to your liking, you'll probably have about as much as a better quality trap, like a bridger.

14. Algenco

Algenco 8 pointer

Jan 15, 2006
    Nancy
    with mods that need to be done I think it's better to start with better quality.
    It will take longer to aquire a god number of quality equip but I feel it's worth it in the long run

15. Javelin225HO

Javelin225HO Fawn

Aug 4, 2008
    Abilene Texas
    i have a lot of duke 1.5, 1.75 and 2's. When it comes to fur, i find myself relying on my 180,220,330 conibears, snares and dog proof coon traps. check out the F&T Dogproof and the ZTraps. I love those things. I haven't had much luck on the double coil's. I can put more steel on the ground and fur in the shed with the above mentioned without the dirt hole or pocket sets. this year I'm gonna focus on getting the dukes laminated and using them more often, we'll see. when trapping, time is money.