New Toy.....Excalibur Micro 340 TD

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by JDMiller, Oct 28, 2020.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    My old Parker Thunderbolt is about 15 years old and got the bug to upgrade this fall. Which throughout those years I’ve always wanted an Excalibur. The recurve design, being able to change strings and they have always been touted for their accuracy appealed to me.

So..... ended up ordering a Micro 340 TD back in September.... and it just arrived on Monday. Got to fire it up yesterday and all I can say is wow. No disappointment at all.... and man have they evolved concerning sound suppression and the TD stands for take down. There’s a pull down latch underneath, fold the stirrup over and the bow detaches... takes only a few seconds.

I went ahead and ordered the take down case .. still waiting on it to be delivered. I also got the charger crank for cocking.. which it’s 270lb draw weight and I’m not getting any younger. As such it came with the crossbow and used it yesterday... made it easy.

It’s rated at 340fps.... which I’m not a speed freak and purposely wanted to stay on the lower end of today’s super fast crossbows. It’s still plenty fast for me and loaded up with noise suppression features. Which crossbows and noise when triggered is what it is. But will say this is one of the quietest crossbows I ever shot. The accuracy on this thing is unreal.

54CBE176-BE5F-45F3-B433-205980160AF9.jpeg 28EEED42-DA7B-4657-A723-A680E59D5D48.jpeg 8B43C9F7-8640-4ACB-ACB3-2D79A75E4A5E.jpeg AA5C0E2E-5220-4450-A984-7F771E0F3D06.jpeg

FOWLER2671, RLWEBB, jblack1 and 9 others like this.
  2. Ridge Rooster

Ridge Rooster Fawn

Feb 16, 2015
    Nice bow! I have a Micro 335 that I hunt with and the compactness and basically maintenance free design is great. Good luck huntin with yours!

Ridge Rooster

JDMiller likes this.
  3. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Great Crossbow.I have a micro335 shoots spot on. A cocker is a good investment.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    JDMiller likes this.
  4. Looks great,is the trigger good on those

JDMiller likes this.
  5. oaktreeplanter

oaktreeplanter Fawn

Jul 29, 2018
    Marshall County
    That is the one I've been wanting. Your short review here may just get them another sale :)

JDMiller likes this.
  6. Gooser

Gooser 6 pointer

Dec 16, 2009
    Taylorsville
    I have a equinox it’s big but it shots like a gun trigger on my is easy to pull!! One of the best crossbows Excalibur not a lot of parts to have to worry about!! I would like to get me that micro good luck hope you smack between the lips with it nice looking set up!!

JDMiller and Junglekat like this.
  7. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Good looking X bow JD! Hope you kill a Booner with it.

JDMiller likes this.
  8. hotdog

hotdog 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2005
    Pike Co.,Ky
    I have 2 Excalibur’s, Matrix 380 and Bulldog 440. Fast and very accurate crossbows. I like knowing if I have any problems that I can fix it myself. They are simple to maintain.

JDMiller and Junglekat like this.
  9. happy

happy 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2008
    central city
    Welcome to the Dark side I have 2 Excalibur's an older Aluminum rail Axiom and Micro 355. I love my little 355 it's perfect for stalking through the woods or setting in my blind. If you don't mind I give you some advice watch the Brace Height keep the string 1/4" / 1/2" off the bumpers also shoot the heaviest arrow you can my 355 loves the 450 gr Spynal Tapp's.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    JDMiller likes this.
  10. hunt

hunt 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    I like. Probably my next purchase,simple is golden.

JDMiller likes this.
  11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Sorry for the slow response as I’ve been at our cabin hunting since last Thursday ... and cell service is sketchy to say the least.

But the trigger is very good... which I don’t have a clue to what it’s breaking at .. so just guessing somewhere between 3-5lbs. It’s very close to my old Parker ... and those old models Parker’s like mine they had a sweet trigger.

Again .... not been disappointed at all. It’s super accurate and really hard to find any negatives at this point.

Junglekat likes this.
  12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Thanks for the advice .... I’m exactly 3/8” from the bumpers.

As of now I’m shooting the Excalibur 16.5” Quills made by Black Eagle and using the 150gr Bolt Cutter (Innerloc) fixed blade. My total weight on my grain scale is 400gr with this set-up.

But ...I wouldn’t mind being a little heavier like 425 or 450. I may fool around a little after deer season with some heavier inserts or different arrows to see what it likes.

13. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you are new to an Excalibur, be sure to get a target with multiple aiming points...never shoot two arrows/bolts at the same aiming point (unless you have a big budget for arrows/bolts)...

I run the Ibex at 305 ft/s and it is lethal...just ask the two deer (Halloween and Election Day) I killed with it...a nice doe and a smaller racked but nice bodied buck (the buck was a basket 7 point but larger than anything I have seen in two years on my limited hunting areas and public spots)...I am actually very pleased with him and the shot...45 yards, dead center...after I turned him back into my hunting area three times with a grunt call...neat hunt...

I think I have killed more deer with my Excalibur than all of my rifles (except maybe one sidelock muzzleloader) combined...

14. happy

happy 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2008
    central city
    The Spynal Tapp's I shoot are 450 gr not 350 sorry about that. I just made up a some arrows for off season testing they are 490 gr. I hope my bag target will stop them. Either way I think you will really like the Excalibur. I picked up a extra string and shot it in so I have a back up. I can swap out strings and as long as it's the same material and I keep the brace height the same then there in no change in Arrow POI.