New Tires

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Snareman2, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I need new tires. What are the pros/cons of six ply versus ten ply. I am looking at Goodyear Duratrac. What would you get? Thanks for the help!

2. Im fairly sure that the six ply will have a smaller load bearing capacity than the 10 ply. A buddy of mine had 10 ply on a diesel truck and that was way more tire than what he needed. They are thicker and essentially have more rubber than the 6 ply. I run 6 ply, but I drive a toyota so its a lighter truck

3. retiredbowhunter

retiredbowhunter 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    ...the more ply may also give a slightly rougher ride in comparison (maybe??)

4. Labrador

Labrador 8 pointer

Dec 14, 2001
    KY
    I recently bought new tires for my Tahoe. I couldn't get the 6-ply in the same brand/style as I was replacing, so I got talked into going 10-ply. These tires are MUCH heavier, and my fuel mileage reflects it. They're tough as nails, but seem a bit stiff. The wet-road traction isn't what it used to be with the 6-ply from the same manufacturer, either.

If I hadn't already dropped $600 (or whatever it was), I'd be going 6-ply. I'll know next time, though!!

5. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Ran a set of Dura-Trac 10plys on my last company truck. It was an F-350 with a crapload of oilfield tools on it. They suprised the heck out of me for how long they held up. Had 16K on them when I got a new truck, they still had pretty good tread left. I know 16 doesn't sound like much but on that heavy of a truck with a more hardcore mud tire I was lucky to get 12-15K and not have wires poking out. I ws thinking about putting a set on my personal truck a few weeks ago. Read a few reviews online that said they had weak sidewalls and handled corners badly. My dually handled like a race car. I'm guessing the complaints may have been with the 6 ply tires but who knows. They also suprised me how well they do in mud. Not as good as a deep lug mud tire but I never got stuck and I go in some pretty nasty places every day. It all boils down to what kind of truck you have and how you drive it. If you have a small truck or a fullsize you never haul anything really heavy with it would be overkill to go with an E rated tire. 6 ply should be fine but do some research online before you commit to anything.

6. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Thanks guys for the replys. I agree, 10 ply will be a rougher ride. I've got a Ford F150 SuperCab, so the 6 ply will work.

7. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I bought a set of goodyear wrangler td tires back in the spring and have been pretty pleased with them. Not sure on the ply but I think they are pretty heavy,have good road handling and pretty decent in the mud.