New slug gun setup advice

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KTF, Dec 15, 2010.

1. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    Low Deer Numbers-New slug gun setup advice

With the drastic decline of deer in my hunting area,pretty pathic really.Camera numbers down by 2/3,no tracks in snow to speak of,all local hunters seeing same results,plus having access to a 300+ acre tract of prime deer land in Ohio ,500 + acres in Indiana ,we broke down and bought a slug gun/scope setup. Remington 870 Super SPS Slug Gun (fluted barrel,thumbhole stock) with Leupold VX3 2.5-8 . Always been a rifle/pistol /bow hunter. Never fooled with slugs.Been researching various slugs to make this a 200 yard tack driver. Wondering what slugs members use and have good results with.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    too late now, but after everything i have read, the Savage 20 gauge bolt action is the slug gun to buy. very accurate out to 200.

the only way to find out what your gun will shoot is to buy as many different slugs you can and go to the range. personally, I found that my 870 doesn't like any of the high dollar high velocity 1900-2000 FPS slugs. as i worked through several boxes of slugs, i got to a box of Remington Buckhammer. i had three holes touching at 100 yds. so i stopped experimenting. These drop like a rock out to 200. good luck

3. Double B

Double B 6 pointer

Jan 6, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'm a Hoosier so slug guns are the norm. I personally like the Remington Copper Solids. They are accurate in my setup which is a rifled cantilever barrel Mossberg 500 with a 2-7x32 scope. Terminal performance is outstanding and accuracy is 3 inches at 100. Other slugs that I hear good things about are Lightfields, Federal Barnes Expanders and Hornady SST's. You need to play w a few brands and see how they do in your gun. Good luck.

4. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I don't like the super high velocity loads either. I get inconsistancies in both the 20 ga and the 12 from them.

Lightfield EXP Hybrids. I keep trying to find better and I keep coming back.

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I found in my Mossberg that the high dollar, high velocity stuff doesn't do well either, which makes me wonder which guns it does work in? I use Winchester 3 inch slugs when I go home to IN to hunt. Can't remember the exact make because I bought a whole bunch of boxes 5 years ago and they are at my parents, but I seem to remember they run about 1200 ft per second.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

These guys are spot on with trying differant brands of slugs. My 870 slug gun wouldn't group the high $$ slugs worth a darn....I tried the cheapest Remington slug out there and it became a 100 yard tack driver...Should have gone there first and saved myself quite a few $$. They are like women and all have their likes and dislikes you just got to hit the right combo.

7. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    reminton copper solids or buckhammers will work great. same gun as what i got. as far as shooting a slug gun out to 200 yards, i havent found any i would trust at that range. to much drop and barrels have to little side walls for great accuracy at that range. not saying that it cant be done but i have been hunting with slug guns for years on ft knox and illinois and would never try anything past 150. slugs lose alot of energy past 100 yards.

8. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    I own a Browning Gold 20 gauge Deer Slug Gun, and it groups almost all brands of sabot ammo well @ 100 yards. Remington Buck Hammers seem to do the best with Winchester Supreme's not grouping as well.

9. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    "Because barrel stability is key to extended-range accuracy, this shotgun’s barrel is of extra-heavy, 1" diameter configuration and measures a full 25 1/2". It’s also pinned to the receiver to control vibration for rifle-like, shot-to-shot consistency. Five longitudinal flutes keep weight and heat buildup to a minimum while bolstering barrel rigidity. Six Parabolic Ultragon™ rifling grooves with a 1-in-35" twist optimize slug flight"

Above paragraph is from Remington .This particular model of 870 hasn't been on market long.Early 2009.Barrel has maybe a heavy 1/8 inch barrel wall thickness.This heavier barrel hopefully will improve longer range accuracy.Realisticaly -if it will group 6 inch groups at 150 yards,I will be happy. Guess I better get several different style slugs and start shooting to find what it likes the best.

10. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Try copper solids. Both myself and my nephew tried shooting the Hornady SST's out of our mossbergs. His in 12 ga and mine in 20. After wasting a bunch of money trying to get them dialed in I tried copper solids. Groups instantly went to 2" at 100. Like they said, try a box of different brands and see how they shoot.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    my buddy, who can't shhot worth a flip, wanted me to sight in his $1200 Benelli super black eagle slug gun for his Illinois hunt this fall. after 7 boxes (35 slugs) later, some were 3", even with a sissy pad and a sand bag between my shoulder and the gun, i've now developed a permanent flinch when ever i see a slug gun. nothing would shoot less than 8" at 100 yds. i've never seen anything lilke the patterns we were getting. couldn't kit the target sometimes on two back to back shots. told him he should use it for a boat anchor.

12. jfrench

jfrench 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2008
    Seymour Indiana
    I have mossberg 695 bolt action and back before the scope went bad I was shooting lightfields and loved them but I too looked for longer range and tried the Hornady SST. They did outstanding out to 200yds shooting a 6" group which to me was great. Bullet drop was about 8" with a 1.5"+ zero at 100yds but after my scope failure I couldn't bring myself to spend the money anymore so I dropped to Brenneke sabots which shoot 3" groups at a 100yds for a lot less money. Well if my wife doesn't knock my gun off the freezer and decides not tell me until later!

Just a note on long range slug shooting. I was shooting the 200yd range when a DNR crew pulled up. They asked what rifle I was using and I mentioned it was a slug gun. They laughed at me shooting 200yds but after 3 rounds down range they were amazed and said they better outlaw those SST LOL. I'm sure the Rem and Winchester brands like the SST would shoot well also but if wanting long range I would start with the SST, Copper solid type bullets first.

13. allseasonhunter

allseasonhunter 6 pointer

Feb 2, 2010
    not trying to stir anything up but this is what i meant by accuracy at 200 yards. your 6 inch group may be good to you while bench shooting and 8 inch drop may not seem like much. now factor in the elements of the hunt. trying to shoot those same 6 inch groups at 200 without your bench rest and they turn into a 12 inch group maybe worse. then factor in the mix that you also have to remember to aim 8 inches high to compensate for bullet drop and you have a very good chance at a miss or even worse, wounded deer running around. my new slug gun for indiana is a 44 mag with handloads, 3 inch groups at 200 yards. sighted in at 2 inches high at 100 it is 3 inches low at 200. i say this because the bullet speeds of a slug and 44 are pretty much the same, but you see how much more accurate it is at 200 yards

14. ocbowhunter

ocbowhunter 6 pointer

Apr 30, 2005
    LaGrange, KY
    I bought a new slug gun this season. . .H and R Ultra Slug Hunter in the heavy barrell and thumbhole stock in 20 gauge. took it to the range and patterned it in with Winchester Supreme Partition Gold slugs. They patterned well, but are also $30 a box. I am going to try some cheaper shells. Put a Nikon 2x7 shotgun scope on it. Great gun

15. jfrench

jfrench 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2008
    Seymour Indiana
    I keep forgeting not everyone was a Marine, sorry lol. Big difference from a hunter telling me what I'm capable of there. Believe me I have more range time then the average deer hunter. if I didn't think I was capable of taking a 200yd shot with my weapon then I wouldn't but trust me, Give me the shot with a zereod weapon benched or off hand and it will die. I agree though most guys don't pay attention to trajectory but when you've spent weeks laying on a range firing at unkown distances with little to no sleep figuring in all the variables in scout school it just falls into place. I did put that training to use in the box also.

Not sure why the 8" hold high. Keep it in the brown to 200yd and hit's a kill. Well take that back....maybe not on a Ft Knox deer! Gerth isn't there for that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010