NEW MUZZELOADER QUESTION

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by hollandhunter, Oct 27, 2019.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Alright gentleman the time has come. I need a new deer hunting inline muzzleloader. I have a bunch of muzzleloaders as im a black powder freak. I just love to challenge and the smell of black powder. But my CVA optima has finally had it after about 12 seasons. Its been put through the ringer and has killed many deer. Some well passed 200 yards. But not anymore.
    An like I said I have other muzzleloaders but no 200 yard guns. Heck I even turkey hunt with a muzzleloader most of the time. My question is which is the best on the market today? I want a 200-250 yard gun. I already have the optics but wondering what the latest and greatest is. I see CVA has a nice gun and TC thinks a lot of there encore. But wanted real life opinions.
    I have side locks for woods hunting but I want a nice long distance muzzleloader too.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Any modern factory black powder ML will have a rainbow trajectory at 250 with 3 pellets and a 250 gr bullet. A custom smokeless, 500 yd gun, will run $2500-$5000, I've been shopping (for a western elk hunt).

3. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    CVA has a new in line .45 cal good out to 400 yds. Uses Blackhorn powder a rifle primer and a special Power Belt bullet.

4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    They all can shoot that far, whats the accuracy like? Can you hit a 9" paper plate at that distance?

5. Knight,T/C,Savage,I would buy one of those

6. hoene

hoene 6 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    Knight is my pick.

Junglekat likes this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Knight or TC I have shot most all of them. The Knight was the most accurate, but those primer things they used were a pain so I switched to TC my Omega is 10 yrs old and still looks and shoots as good as day one.

RLWEBB, Junglekat and carnivore like this.
  8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I did the exact same thing. Those plastic things and cleaning the bolt drove me nuts. Omega ias deam to clean vs knight.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm still using a first generation TC inline. Thought about upgrading this year, then the whole job thing, so I'm still using it. It shoots good enough I guess. I killed a buck in '99 at 150 yards with it.

Junglekat likes this.
  10. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Go to CVA website, I think they have a video.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  11. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I’ve got an Encore and I love it, but I wish I had an Omega. Go online and look how many people are using them for long range shooting. When one is for sale, they move fast. I was in Sportsman’s Warehouse last week and they had a new Knight hanging on the wall. Good looking muzzleloader. I’d definitely research the Knight if I was in the market for a new one. I’d also look seriously at the TC Encore as they are a fine firearm. I’d like to have a new one myself.

kyoutdoorsman and Junglekat like this.
  12. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Maybe I'm in the dark when it comes to Muzzleloaders, but am I the only cheapskate here shooting Traditions?

I have an old Traditions Buckstalker that's never failed to deliver a single bullet to the vitals within 150 yards.

In 2018 I won a a Traditions Strykerfire in a DU raffle. After a little work figuring out what it likes, I get sub 2" groups at 200 yards on a cold bore religiously - with their glass.

Perhaps I'll upgrade the optics at some point, but if it ain't broke...

HCDH66 likes this.
  13. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    I have thumbhole stock CVA Accura V2 and really like it. I don't know about other brands but you have to get the special Blackhorn 209 nibble for that loose powder.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  14. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Love my Traditions. I got the UL package deal a few years back for $200 off. I even like the “cheap” Traditions scope. Mine came with a 3.5x10x44 scope with lighted reticals for low light and I like it. Was super easy to site in. Use it a lot during modern gun. I’m just not great at cleaning it but will get better.

15. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I had a cheap Tradition Yukon with an even cheaper scope for ~10 years and killed several deer (missed several too...) It got the job done and I never had a misfire, but it was by no means accurate past 50-60 yards and the barrel was shot by the time I finally retired it and upgraded.