New Mexico Antelope Hunt

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Not on here as much as I use to be but heading out this Thursday to unit 38 just south of Vaughn, New Mexico to hunt antelope for a few days. It’s the first time for me hunting speed goats and never been to New Mexico.

My hunt is booked with Kiowa Hunting Service and on a private ranch known for trophy pronghorn. I’ll be hunting their first 3 day rifle antelope season beginning 13th and ending on the 15th. Already have my license, tag and most my crap packed ready to go. Figuring on two days drive to get there and two days drive back which hopefully will allow us to enjoy the trip and not push us too hard to get there or back.

I’m packing my Winchester model 70 in 30-06 on this hunt. Which I went back & forth on what rifle & caliber to take but just kept going back to the one I’m most comfortable and confident with. I’ve done quite a bit of shooting in preparation and good to about 300 yds.

Hopefully I can post a pic behind a good antelope buck soon but if I come home empty handed that’s ok too. Be a new experience and just going to enjoy the trip & hunt.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Not on here as much as I use to be but heading out this Thursday to unit 38 just south of Vaughn, New Mexico to hunt antelope for a few days. It’s the first time for me hunting speed goats and never been to New Mexico.

My hunt is booked with Kiowa Hunting Service and on a private ranch known for trophy pronghorn. I’ll be hunting their first 3 day rifle antelope season beginning 13th and ending on the 15th. Already have my license, tag and most my crap packed ready to go. Figuring on two days drive to get there and two days drive back which hopefully will allow us to enjoy the trip and not push us too hard to get there or back.

I’m packing my Winchester model 70 in 30-06 on this hunt. Which I went back & forth on what rifle & caliber to take but just kept going back to the one I’m most comfortable and confident with. I’ve done quite a bit of shooting in preparation and good to about 300 yds.

Hopefully I can post a pic behind a good antelope buck soon but if I come home empty handed that’s ok too. Be a new experience and just going to enjoy the trip & hunt.
Good luck JD. Fun, low stress hunt. Hunted around Vaughn a couple of times. 16-17 hr drive. Safe travels.
If I'd known sooner, could have loaned you some snake gaiters.

Last edited:

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Good luck JD. Fun, low stress hunt. Hunted around Vaughn a couple of times. 16-17 hr drive. Safe travels.
If I'd known sooner, could have loaned you some snake gaiters.

Thanks………Got a pair of Irish Setter snake boots packed.. lol.

Probably the one thing that I’ve thought about most since booking the hunt is rattle snakes.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.

Yukon OK is my stopping point heading to NM. 10-11 hrs from marshall Co. Then 6-7 hrs the second day. Get there mid day or so. Time to get settled in and shoot the Winchester. Time changes when you cross into NM. You may see some pronghorn between Amarillo and the border. You'll see a wind turbine or two also.