New Member looking for deer hunting in KY

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by James Caulin, Feb 12, 2021.

1. James Caulin

James Caulin Fawn

Feb 11, 2021
    vermont
    Was wondering if anyone knows a good location to try our first hunt in Kentucky....We can't afford a hunting outfitter. Thanks for any advice or counties to look at or wma areas that are decent hunting. Thanks in advance to any responses.

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Will you be using a rifle or archery equipment? I’d be glad to show you around the Griffith Woods WMA north of Lexington but it’s archery only

3. James Caulin

James Caulin Fawn

Feb 11, 2021
    vermont
    We are rifle hunting. But thank you so much for the offer. So nice.

4. AndySchulte

AndySchulte 6 pointer

Jun 18, 2020
    Louisville, Kentucky
    There are some WMAs that are open to rifle hunting, but most stay bow only. Rolling Fork Wma is one that comes to mind that’s open to rifle hunting during the general firearm season. It’s got decent deer numbers.

You might want to put in for Quota hunts on some of the other WMAs.

someone mentioned Fort Knox- there are pretty solid deer numbers there, but you’ll need to buy an extra permit and register your weapon, then put in for one of the gun hunting weekends.

James Caulin likes this.
  5. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    and get a slug gun......Fort Knox is shotgun/muzzleloader only. No high powered rifles.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    ....and i just happen to have a new never shot Savage 20 ga slug gun for sale. :)

7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    I would NOT want to register my weapon.

cedar ridge likes this.