New Hobby to support existing hobby

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by KYBH4Life, Dec 16, 2012.

1. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I just bottled my first batch of beer yesterday. It was pretty cool too and was a lot easier than I expected it to be.

Sanitized all the bottles

sanitizing.jpg

The filling station. I used clear plastic hose from Lowes to fill each bottle from the bucket.

filling station.jpg

The fermenter

brew bucket.jpg

The raw beer. Added the priming sugar last night to make the carbonation.

Amber Bock 12-15.jpg

Left over sludge....disregard my boy's foot..lol

sludge.jpg

Finished product is Amber Bock. Made 24 22 ounce beers and 4 16 ounce beers.
    Amber Bock bottled.jpg

This will be ready to drink in 2 weeks. I'm starting my next 5 gallons of Irish Stout/Guiness today.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. goosehead76

goosehead76 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2008
    western ky.
    makes me thirsty just thinking about it!

3. Where are you getting your supplies?

4. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
  5. HUNTINGMAN

HUNTINGMAN 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    Did you use one of them beer making kits? Makes me want to drink a beer, thanks.

6. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    This was a 20 minute boil kit. The Guiness will be the same. The Octoberfest kit I have also includes another jug of malts and a bag of grains to steep. The Octoberfest will take about 90 minutes I believe.

7. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky
    Awesome. I was going to start a thread about this. Got a kit for xmas and am getting ready to try it out. It looks pretty simple and the cost is cheap after the initial equipment purchase. All you need is ingredients. Getting ready to start my wort right now.

8. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Yesterday was the 2 week mark so it was ready. It tasted might fine too. But it snuck up and laid the smackdown on us pretty quick lol. If you want to make it stronger, add in a pound to 1.5 lbs of honey for the yeast to eat. That will up the ABV by .5%-1%.

I think I'm going to buy a second stage fermenter too. I don't need it but it will filter out most of the residue that's on the bottom of the bottle.

As soon as I free up some bottles I'm gonna start brewing the Guiness.

9. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

I ll b over about 430

10. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I was about your neck of the woods at 4:30...just got home from my uncle's holiday get-together out next to the boyhood tavern. I'd be happy to let you have one when we go hunting but gotta get the bottle back...they aren't mine :p

I'm going to buy 2-3 12 packs of 22 oz bottles for now.....probably more later on as I 'm going to try to build up my stores in the basement under the porch while it's cool down there. Ideally, I'd like to have 4-6 cases of 6-8 different brews down there aging at all times where I can have variety whenever I want it. I'm sure all the current beer will be gone after tomorrow night when we have some people over for New Years Eve.

BTW: you don't save much, if any, money if you brew regular beer like Bud or Bud Light. But I'm making it at about half the cost when it comes to premium beers like Amber Bock, Octoberfest, and Guiness. The only problem is I get full a lot quicker on these dark beers.

11. justwannafish

justwannafish 6 pointer

Mar 26, 2009
    louisville, ky

Sounds tasty. I didn't start just yet, although i could. Going to get a few more things. I don't have enough bottles. Probably going to get some food grade sanitizer, scared of bleach taste. Might get another bucket, just have the bottling bucket right now. I do have a glass carboy, but it looks like the sludge would be a nightmare to clean out of it. That will be for later down the road and lagers. My first brew is going to be the Oktoberfest kit. There is a homebrewing co. in downtown louisville i plan on checking out. Can't wait.;)

12. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    if you look at the empty bucket, you can tell there was no sludge left in it. However, I am also concerned about how to clean out that carboy. They make a special attachment that hooks up to your faucet for cleaning it out but it looks like it could be a pain.

Since I have company coming over tomorrow, I may not get to start on the Guiness as the wife doesn't want the house to smell like it did last time.

Ditto on the food grade sanitizer. A little goes a long way. Also keep in mind to NEVER scratch the inside of your fermenter as bacteria can attach in the tiny scratches. Also never use soap in your fermenter....just the sanitizer. If there is any soap residue left, it will kill the head on your beer.

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Yeah but Bud and Bud light isn't really beer. It's closer to horse piss than real beer. Amber Bock and Octoberfest is the good stuff. :eek:

14. I watched a friend cook up a batch of lager from a Cooper's kit last night. He used bleach water to clean and sanitize everything and used the faucet attached bottle cleaner for the carboy. It's easy to attach and works like a charm. The kit he ordered has 6 different 6 gallon batches (ale, lager, stout), for a total of 15 cases for $118, shipped. I'm gonna get into it.

Question for some of you masters. He bottles his and has to wait for a month to drink it. I read something about kegging it and eliminating the entire bottling process, plus you could artificially carbonate and drink almost immediately. Any thoughts or suggestions?

15. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    please find out where he is getting 6 kits for that price....that's a great deal (hopefully I could swap out the ale recipes b/c I don't care for ale at all). I'm paying $15/case roughly...maybe $14. When I have my bar built in my basement this spring, I will putting on a double tap system and have a drop-in cooler built into the bar to have 2 5 gallon corny kegs. So, after 2 weeks, there would be no need to go through priming sugar phase at all, just transfer to keg and hook up the CO2 line and I think you have to wait 3-4 days after that and it's ready to go. I only waited 2 weeks after bottling. It is a month from start to finish though.

I just brought mine up from the basement a few minutes ago and have them sitting on the front porch to get cold enough for tonight.

Good to hear the carboy cleaner works well. Is it messy or not?