New guy from Ohio

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by Littlephil, May 15, 2016.

1. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Howdy all, just joined and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Phil and I live in mid Ohio. I absolutely love everything outdoors and have been thinking very seriously about moving to Kentucky. Hopefully it'll happen within the next 5 years.
    Anyway, found this forum a couple days ago and it really seems like a great one. All the posts I've read seem to have very respectful comments and members. Just want to say thanks for the opportunity to be a part of it!
    Have a great day y'all!

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Welcome Phil,

Ps it can get ugly on here sometimes

3. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Thanks feedman, I'm sure it can, but I've seen far less of it here so far than other forums. :D

4. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Welcome Ohio new guy.

5. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Thanks carpdaddy, it's appreciated!

6. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Hello, friend. I'm a native Buckeye myself. Moved from the Columbus area to the Louisville area back in 2003. What part of the state are you looking to move to?

7. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    I'm not sure exactly, but I'm thinking somewhere along the southern border. I was checking into land for sale a while back and found a bunch of properties appealing. My main concern is that the area be rural so I can hunt the property I buy. Also being away from the general public would be a big plus. ;) I live in a city now, however it's fairly small, but I still don't like it. I grew up in the country and I can't wait to move back out of town. My "grand scheme" is to have a decent homestead on a nice chunk of land. I don't need or want a big farm, just enough to be mostly self sufficient. I'm doing a little research now to try and familiarize myself with the different parts of the state. But like I said, it'll probably be a few years at least before I get to move.
    How do you like it down there compared to Ohio bd?

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Welcome to the site.

9. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Hello and Welcome. I can almost guarantee you will like the winters here better.

BoB

10. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Thanks guys.
    That I can just about bet on Bob! For the last several winters I've been tired of it being cold, but winter before last, I was working an outside job 2nd shift. Spent many nights checking fluids and fixing wiring issues on big rigs in the single digits or below. That was kinda my final push to really start looking south-aways. I checked land prices in several states, but Kentucky was actually affordable, and it's absolutely gorgeous! It's also still fairly close to "home" to come back and visit. And it also helps that y'all still have a good deer herd. Ours took a huge hit the past few years, and I'm really excited to see creeks and rivers that aren't brown. :highly_amused:
    I'm really hoping I can come down this summer at least once and check it out. But I'm also afraid I won't come back to Ohio if I do. ;)
    Thanks to all so far for making a fella feel welcome!