New graph

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by bgkyarcher, Jun 29, 2021.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    All you fisherman out there. Daddy and I are looking to get a new graph for the ol' Vision. It's to go up front, transducer on the trolling motor. Neither of us know much about electronics. Rarely use for other than depth and contour readings. Would this be a good option for a front graph? Again, it will be a trolling motor transducer mount.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592101

2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    There are better out there but for what you are saying you use it for, it will do just fine. I don't have any experience with this particular graph but Garmin makes some great stuff these days. I will add a little personal opinion here, if you have the money, go with a larger screen!!!

beauhunter41031 and RLWEBB like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Not a lot of room up there..... This one was rated as one of the most user friendly. I read/saw reports of a lot of others touch screen were so sensitive rain drops would register as touches..... We will use this for a lot more than we have in the past. Just never really had a graph with much capability.

4. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I understand totally. I don't have the latest and greatest in my set up but can vividly recall upgrading to my first unit with side imaging and down imaging. It was a like playing a video game. I spend a couple of days on the water just watching the screen, never wet a line. They can be as addicting as a game cam to a fella like me!!

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I can imagine. I told Daddy we'd have to play with it forever to figure out the ins and outs. I do like the side imaging.... Be nice to pull up on drops and see what's there....

6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Game changer for ledges, rocks/rock piles and crappie fishing. Doesn't' always mean they will bite I've come to discover but will tell you if they are there lol.

trapper perry likes this.
  7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Best advice I can give you about electronics is if your not going to spend the time to truly learn how to utilize it don't waste your money on much of anything other than a depth reader. I see so many people put money into electronics and never learn to even use them. I have reached the point that I don't even pick a rod up until I find the fish I'm looking for. Could be the fourth spot could be the fourteenth, never know. I have mostly all humminbird except for one lowrance I use for mapping only but the big three all make great units.

RLWEBB, Meatstick and bgkyarcher like this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    We just fish spots where we think fish should be... I told Daddy this would eliminate a lot of fruitless hours. Only thing is, this will be on the trolling motor. Might put the existing unit on the trolling motor, and the new unit on the console.

9. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Side imaging will most definitely help you find fish and specific cover, ledges, brush, etc. I installed a mega 360 on my bow this spring and can honestly say if I could only have one set up that would be it. I consider it one of the most enjoyable outdoor purchases I have ever made. Having the side scan at the helm would probably be best in your situation. Find the sweet spot and you can drop a marker if nothing else and fish it.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Was just reading up on this unit. It does not have side imaging.... But it has an adjustable cone so you see more of what is beneath you..

11. Trapper Delk

Trapper Delk 12 pointer

Feb 10, 2020
    Central Kentucky.
    We have 2 fish finder on our old boat one up front its a old hummingbird 120 transducer on trolling motor, a lorance at the wheel, the hummingbird makes me wanna go home ( no fish or they wont bite even if they are on screen. The lorance just flat out lies there's never ending schools of fish of all sizes on it. I know it lies cause forgot to turn it off and got out on trailer to strap down and there where fish all over screen

Tankt likes this.
  12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    They advise not to put si on the trolling motor.

DI is nice to look at but the "cone" is actually a sliver. What it is good for is switching to after seeing a bottom feature on 2d and confirming whether it is a rock or stump or brush pile. you can also pick fish out easier if they are tight to that cover. they will show as brighter white specks in di.

Meatstick likes this.
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The videos I've seen suggested the split view so you can see fish out easier. Down imaging is more for looking at cover/structure, as I understand it.

14. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    If you have a large screen splitting the screen works. i set one of my hotkeys to 2d and one to di and quickly switch so i can see on the full screen.

I have 700 series bird on tm and two 800 series at console.

RLWEBB likes this.
  15. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I’ve got the Garmin striker 4 on my dash. It’s a good unit. I think the side scan feature would be awesome but not sure those models have the option until you jump way up to 5-6 hundred dollar range