New girls.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Nock, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    They take occasional “cleansing” flights on nice days.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    What Titus said, they will not defecate in their hive.

3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Yeah you don’t want to be around on the first nice day during the winter. If they have been cooped up for awhile.

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    They are very clean.

5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Better get it up soon. It’s fixing to be that time. I got one in a tree I’m fixing to cut out here soon. Good luck

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I didn't know they held it all winter,either

Where do you think the phrase, You're full of crap came from

00noturkey likes this.
  7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Barney, I had something similiar happen to me about 20 years ago and I had to go to the Hospital. I had a BAD reaction not Euphoria. I remember warning Nock to Never mess them if there is a storm coming up anywhere in the area.
    It seemed to me that a sting never bothered me at first and then they got progressively worse every time.
    I No Longer have DamBees.

8. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

This was an interesting read, relevant to the chemistry of stings and a bit more. I do seem to recall having felt energetic for a few days (usually am, but even more so), after being in the ER for my hornet stings, but I wouldn't consider such enough to classify it as europhic... maybe...been awhile, so really don't recall much more.

https://www.beeculture.com/bee-venom-chemistry-ouch/

This out of the UK was interesting:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1113072/

Have yet to read this one, but it looks to be interesting, as well.

https://www.compoundchem.com/2014/08/28/insectvenoms/

9. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    You should sign Triton up for Lloyd Saylor's 4-H Youth Bee Club. They are just getting it started.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Nock and HuntressOfLight like this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    One of the writers of that first link is from Kentucky:

"
    Phil Craft
    Phil served as the Kentucky State Apiarist from 1999 through 2011. He is a graduate of Oberlin College in Ohio (BA in biology), and of the University of Kentucky. Phil continues to communicate with beekeepers through his “Ask Phil” question/answer column which appears monthly in Bee Culture magazine, and through his webpage, Philcrafthivecraft.com. He is also the U.S. technical adviser for Veto-pharma, the maker of Apivar. A native of the mountains of Eastern Kentucky, he now lives out in the sticks in the Bluegrass region of Kentucky near Lexington with his family, a very old dog, and some bee hives. You may send questions to Phil at [email protected]."

Many highly experienced contributors:

https://www.beeculture.com/contributors/

11. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I don’t they much likes them. At least he hasn’t shown no interest.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    What age is he?

13. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
  14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Maybe you could entice his participation, via telling him you are considering making him VP of Marketing, putting him onto researching live cam equipment and setup, eventually having him manage that aspect of the business, as it continues to grow, if he has an interest in technology and/or photography. His friends might think it is cool. You would probably end up selling honey to all the kids parents at his school and more.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Been sitting here stringing my little cheapo Homelight edger and notice a honeybee buzzing around my wicker furniture on the back deck, not in any hurry at all, seemingly investigating all. I spray painted all of it cherry red last year and wonder if such might have something to do with the honeybee's behavior, as well as wondering if it might detect pollen blown down onto the chairs. Will honeybees collect pollen blown from flowers onto other surfaces?

I read the other night that you can fill a bowl with water and load it with marbles to the top during the summertime, so that the honeybees don't go to the bird bath for it and potentially drown. I don't recall ever seeing dead honeybees floating in the bird bath, though.