New coon hunter

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by woodsandwater, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    Haha Giveem3 we will come down and see you a few times this kill season if you ever break that walker dog of runnin deer haha. No bandit seems to be about ready to do comp hunts. But yeah Wood. Y'all are welcome to tag along we will get a caged coon and start there. Make it easy on your pup

2. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Someone told my gf if you want to take your dog hunting don't nuter it. If he's just gonna be a house dog then nuter it. Is that true? We have a 2.5 yr old boy who he just started humping today lol. But I don't wanna get it nutered if its gonna hurt him in the woods

3. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    You won't ever get a straight answer about that one. I know most people don't do it to their hunting dogs but I have a female. Some say don't do it. Some say it doesn't matter.

4. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Alright yeah I really don't want to, but if he starts getting aggressive I don't think there will be a choice

5. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    Has he shown any negative actions toward male or female dogs? When we goin huntin man?

6. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Nope sure hasn't. And idk maybe this season? I took him for a walk down at the creek and he was sniffin everything. Fell in a groundhog/muskrat hole too running full speed lol

7. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    For what it's worth I have a female beagle that developed what amounts to dog breast cancer. Vet removed all of her milk making parts and since she would never be able to nurse pups recommended going ahead and having her spayed while he was in there so I would never have to worry about her getting bred accidentally. I was hesitant at first but went ahead with it. Hasn't slowed her down one bit. I kept her up the first month of season last year to let her heal up but other than that I see no change in her. I think the "they'll get fat and lazy" myth comes from house dogs who usually wind up fat and lazy anyway, regardless of being fixed.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    To a hound or any hunting dog, it makes no difference wether he's neutered (or spayed) or not. Hundreds and hundreds of years of breeding for "hunt" and his natural prey drive overpowers any reference to wether he's got a set hanging between his legs. It could possibly decrease dog agression but there are many variables that play in to how agressive a dog is towards other dogs. We had a beagle that was meaner than hell towards other dogs. Nothing would keep that dog from acting agressive. Needless to say he's no longer with us. I believe dog agression is largely genetic.

9. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    Your gonna coon hunt that pup this year with me and my red dog. Sound good ?

10. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    You got a fb? I bought a garmin collar btw, it's not the fancy trash breaker, just a delta sport. 3/4 mile range, hopefully that's good enough. I wonder if I need a GPS too though. I have no idea how far these dogs will run lookin for coons, prolly end up loosing him 3 farms away lol

11. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    A GPS tracking system is the best thing that ever happened to coon hunting. I would hate to think I had to turn loose without 1. That being said they are expensive and the old beep beep systems can be bought cheap used now a days and they work just not a close as a garmin. I use a garmin Hartley uses a sport dog we are both well satisfied.

12. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    My sport dog is cheaper than a garmin and it has a build in ecollar on it. My model doesn't show roads. But never has to be up dated. You want a gps of some sort though. And yes I have a Facebook. Joey Hartley add me. But tell me who you are so I know

13. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    The roads option on a garmin is nice. For dog safety and for cutting off walking distance.

14. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    Woodsandwater, are we Facebook friends yet?

15. woodsandwater

woodsandwater 6 pointer

Aug 20, 2008
    Yes I sent you a message sayin who I was lol. You didn't respond to that but accepted my request on there