New Call

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by turkeyman2000, Oct 20, 2006.

1. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    I just picked up a new goose call recently and am having a little hard time making it sound like I want it to. It's a Foiles Migrator "Meat Grinder" short reed goose call.

I have a couple goose calls (Olt A-50 & another goose flute type call but none of them short reed) that I blow and they sound good. Is there a secret to the short reed that I do not know about? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are videos/DVDs on the subject...and if anyone knows something like that that would be helpful for the short reed call, I'm open to that as well.

Thanks a bunch!! :)

2. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    I love my meat grinder. Great for double/multiple clucks.

3. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Blow Hard

I heard that about you..... :D Even?

4. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    the short reeds are all about hand placement on the end of the call. They are what gives you the back pressure needed to make it sound goosey. Whereas in a flute style call the back pressure is built into the call. Try to find a dvd or video, I think that rnt has one or two there is a take em' dvd that I have that has a bonus disc with it that outlines how to blow one. It also takes a ton of practice. Also instead of too-it sound you blowinto a flute I say hoo-it.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Flutes and short reeds require two different breath techiques.

A lot of guys learned to blow a flute by somewhat puffing their cheeks since the backpressure is already there instead of blowing from the diaphragm.

Breath control like you are blowing a duck call and proper hand placement on the exhaust are key.

A short reed will never be as simple to blow as a flute... but you can do a lot more with them when you get it figured out. Try saying "hut" for some simple clucks. That's the type breathing you need to be doing through the call.

6. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    I appreciate the tips guys. I'll try and see if I can find a DVD that will help me out. I guess I was a little frustrated....because most every call I've ever tried...be it a goose, duck, or turkey call, I've been able to blow without much problem at all. This one is going to be a challenge for me....which means I'll try that much harder.

As for you mcdenney......you'll get yours.....you'll get yours.....:D

7. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Try Dave Smith's Breakthrough 1 or 2. They are both good, or you could talk to Gary Crafton he's a member here & P.S. for Foiles sure he could help ya.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  8. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Well

Well maybe you can show me what you know about that darn thing this winter by calling in some birds. ;)

9. dead eye

dead eye 6 pointer

Don't feel bad about not being able to master it. I had Harold Knight sit with me & try to show me how to use his Double cluck. It sounded great when he blew it but darned if I could ever make it sound like he could. I don't have any trouble with duck calls or flute goose calls. I take my son with me & he doesn't use any call just his mouth & sounds better than any goose call. Even when huntin with a guide the guide tells him to call & they just shut up.
    I am fortunate to have a ungun that can do that.
    Dear eye

10. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    We'll lay the smack down on some geese this winter mcdenney. I think I have a couple of places that we can hunt. I'll try my best to master the "Meat Grinder"...but if I don't, I still have the ol' trusty Olt A-50. :)

11. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Sounds good. Got guns, will travel!!!!