New bow: October Mountain Products

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by jmo, Jul 21, 2019.

1. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    I was in N.C. this weekend visiting family and ran across a deal too good to pass up. An October Mountain Products bow, Smoky Mountain Hunter in 62” and 45 lbs. Came with 20 or so arrows, a sight and stabilizer for $45. Anybody know anything about this bow? I’ve shot a compound years, but I’m new to the recurve. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    Pretty sure it’s the same as a Samick sage just rebranded. Good little start er especially for the price

3. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    Can’t beat the price so I’d say you did good, sorry I am not familiar with the bow. How about a picture?

4. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Just watched a YouTube video and I’d bet my bottom dollar it’s a Samick Sage. Has to be the same bow. Now to figure out if/what type of rest to use or shoot off the deck. Use a glove or a release? Use sights? I’ve bow hunted with a compound and taught NASP archery in schools for years, but recurve bow hunting is a new animal to me. Any advise would be much appreciated.

5. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    With an elevated rest you can shoot plastic vanes. If you want to shoot off the shelf you will need feather fletched arrows. I would give it a go no sights and get you a finger tab or glove I prefer a tab myself. Look on YouTube lots of vids on instinctive shoot as well as other aiming methods. Just in the beginning start off at close range 5 or 6 yards and build good form don’t be concerned to much with accuracy right now just build good form and accuracy will come best of luck it’s addictive

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  6. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I recommend same as above, glove or tab, no sights, and feathers if shooting off shelf.

7. jmo

jmo 6 pointer

Apr 17, 2005
    Nicholasville
    It came with a dozen carbon arrows with feathers but they don’t have any markings as to spine or weight or anything. I just ordered a glove and stringer so I should be flinging arrows by the weekend. I guess lol go off the shelf, even though I really got used to the flipper rests on the NASP Genesis bows.

8. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    You can shoot your feathered arrows from an elevated rest. If you decide to does your bow have felt or anything on the shelf now