New 6th District Commissioner appointed

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Could not read the article because it wanted me to subscribe to the paper

A link over on Reddit says that source is second in garbage to none other than CNN. Paywall didn't hit me for that one article, because I guess that I never bother to try and access that source. I did attempt access to a relevant hyperlink within the article and paywall hit. Uninterested enough after reading that initial lame reporting to pay it.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
I hate the idea of the governor appointing ANYTHING regarding hunting/fishing in our state. Take 5 minutes to read this and it should worry every one of us about any politician appointing the bosses for KDFWR.

Appointed board members in Washington saying well only a tiny percent of people here hunt so let's overrule the expertise of wildlife biologists and cancel seasons for the 90% of people that don't hunt.

https://www.themeateater.com/conser...ring-bear-hunts-cancelled-in-washington-state

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
The appointment of Mark Nethery is a good thing for sportsmen/women. Mark is a great guy and will serve us sportsmen/women very well. Mark is the owner of Bluegrass Game Calls.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
The appointment of Mark Nethery is a good thing for sportsmen/women. Mark is a great guy and will serve us sportsmen/women very well. Mark is the owner of Bluegrass Game Calls.
Not doubting the character or quality for any appointment. IMO it's just dangerous precedent when the governor starts telling the kdfwr who is calling the shots for the department. We all lose our voice when politicians start dictating F&W motives. Way worse than aligning with dept of tourism.

Last edited:

Hoene

10 pointer
May 8, 2012
Northern Ky
I believe that the people in the district vote to recommend a few people from the district and submit it to the governor then he picks from the recommendations.

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
I have ALWAYS thought the Commissioners should be voted on and the one with the MOST Votes gets the job. From what I understand the guy with the least votes can still be picked by the Govner...

slickhead slayer

12 pointer
Nov 14, 2005
VP OF ADMIN Development
It's all political. As someone who was involved in politics and donated many times over the years, I can tell you that's all it is.
Wealthy people that donate don't want anything that government can give them, except for two things, The Ky Horse racing commission and the Fish and Wildlife commission. That's the list. So Governor's pick based on who their donors are. We just have to hope that the commission has more good sportsman on it than bad.
I remember years ago when Wallace Wilkinson was elected. I knew 3 commissioners at the time. Wilkinson had his people tell each commissioner that it was going to cost 10k a person to keep their seat. Out of the 3 I knew, one said hell no, the other two ponied up. One of the two that ponied up, still lost his seat. He was pissed. Politics at its finest.
In reality, it should be voted on by the sportsman. What in God's name does Andy or any other Gov know about who the best commissioner from each district is. Hell they don't even know most of these guys

Latest posts