New 3 weight fly rod

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Tim T, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    Bought it for small stream brookie fishing, but decided to test it out on bluegill at a friend's pond. It is perfect for letting the 'gills show off:

gill fly 1.jpg

It also was fine for small green carp, but the big surprise was how it handled this unexpected creature:

catfish fly 2.jpg catfish fly 1.jpg

Took around 5 minutes to land this, but it was a lot of fun on a 3 weight and 6x tippet.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've had the urge for a 3 weight for couple years now. Just haven't broke down to do it and honestly don't get the opportunity to fish much anymore.

But I've caught a few fish on a 5 weight that were challenging to say the least. I can only imagine those fish on a 3 weight would be a bunch of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    LOL JD, When I finally got the fish next to the bank, I had to negotiate a 2 foot drop to the water in order to land him. As I reached down to grab him, my tippet snapped. He flopped around for a second until I grabbed him and threw him up on the bank. Ended up keeping him and he was an honored guest along with some Kentucky Lake crappie at a fish fry here at home!

4. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A co-worker's retired father built me a 7'9" 3 wt. a couple year's back. The rod weighs in just under 3 ozs. I love chasing some 'gills with little foam bugs. Nice fish Tim!

5. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    I have a 7'9" 4 weight that I bought for my wife. It has become my go to fly rod for just about all types of fishing. Love that thing.