Never gave much thought to a Bald Eagle being

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Such a scavenger until this morning. Made a run into Greenville and on the way in ran over a squirrel on Hwy 181 near town. When I headed back home right in front of me this mature Bald Eagle came down 50 yards ahead of me, close enough I put on the brakes, picked up that squirrel I had ran over half hour before and flew away with it. Right in a section of road with homes on both sides of the road. Well guess it got breakfast and everything has to eat. Needed a dash cam, that would have been cool.

2. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I have seen eagles on side of the road eating dead deer.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Yeah there was a picture in the local paper last winter of one doing just that. We also seen a lot of them in Arkansas when down snow goose hunting. Picking up dead or cripples I guess but never one picking up a squirrel off a main highway.

4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Me too! I didn't give it thought until I saw one 30 feet from me on the side of a county road chowing down on dead Bambi.

5. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I grew up not far off the Miss and IL rivers, home to the largest wintering concentration of bald eagles in the lower 48. I never thought of them as anything but pretty buzzards. I don't think I have ever seen them catch anything but floating or wounded fish (mostly carp) or sitting on carrion/road kill.

Not sure why we ever picked them as the national symbol?

6. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    There you go. A Buzzard with a White Head.
    I have never seen one catch anything except the ones in Canada catching fish. I have seen several eating on Road Kill and also eating on my Coyote Bait food pile in the wintertime.

7. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I got some that comes around here and he sure catch the heck out fish out of my pond. I also seen them taking a baby geese couple of years ago. I dont mind taking some of them crappie my pond getting over stocked with crappie.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I once watched a pair work a winged duck for 20 minutes. It kept diving when they would swoop down towards the water. They finally timed it right, and caught the duck as soon as it popped back up.

I also have seen them in Alaska grab fish right out of a flowing river. Scared the crap out of me because it can over my head at about 12 feet and snatched the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I don't care if they do scavenge, they are an awesome looking bird.

10. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Someplace I've got a picture of a bald eagle with its' head up a dead coyote's guts. The vultures had picked at it for a week or so, and finally left it. Then the eagle came in.

They're cool birds, but just vultures.

11. Rodeo man

Rodeo man 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2011
    The black buzzards seem to leave, when the eagles are working an area. I wish I had a few more eagles, that stayed longer. They seem to really range though.

12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    This is why Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey as the national bird. Eagles were known as scavengers.

13. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Eagles are opportunist just like bears, wolves, coyotes, and everything else that eats meat. I can't blame them for eating a free meal that happens to be laying there. They aren't vultures any more than a bear is..

14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I guess that means they're kinda like my brother.

15. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    I saw over two dozen at one time about 10 years ago.....at the landfill on Kodiak Island, AK.