Neighbors with aggressive dog

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I mean I understand where you were coming from not wanting to kill their dog and possibly cause more problems. And I don’t like the idea of killing someone’s dog either, I really like dogs and they really are the only animal I have any sympathy towards. But once they growl my demeanor changes. You’ve read the comments and the general consensus here is pretty clear.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I'm shocked ............ I can't believe we read the term "warning shot". Like the others, you've allowed a possibility something worse can happen and i know you have a young daughter. The threat should have been eliminated and disposed of. Good luck !
Well if it kills/maims a family member, you can say I told you so. You can write me or I should be able to get a visitor ever 4th Sunday. What’s done is done. I have to live with my choices until I don’t, hind sight being 20/20 and such I would have handled it differently. In my mind though it also shouldn’t have been dark, I shouldn’t have been half asleep and I wouldn’t have thought about their kids finding the dog bleeding out on their porch from a .380 right before I moved my sights and squeezed.

bowhunter269

12 pointer
Nov 21, 2006
Fisherville, KY
Well if it kills/maims a family member, you can say I told you so. You can write me or I should be able to get a visitor ever 4th Sunday. What’s done is done. I have to live with my choices until I don’t, hind sight being 20/20 and such I would have handled it differently. In my mind though it also shouldn’t have been dark, I shouldn’t have been half asleep and I wouldn’t have thought about their kids finding the dog bleeding out on their porch from a .380 right before I moved my sights and squeezed.
i'm not looking to say I told you so ........ didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I just know you have a daughter, and you said the dog had scared her once before. Having raised 3 daughters, I am on your side !

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
So was the wife and daughter asleep when you started popping off shots? I bet scared the daylights out of them lol
Nobody even quivered. It was kinda funny. We went putt putt golf (indoor yesterday) to rural king and out to eat so pretty beat. I get up at same time everyday.

Pretty much…
93FEE417-90E9-4952-A9E5-9442685E33B8.jpeg

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
How do you carry a pistol in your underwaer for morning coffee?

It was too cold before daybreak this morning, for Little Friar to have been wearing merely his Superman Briefs, while venturing onto his front porch, and just perhaps, he may have been exaggerating a Little WeeWee bit, while typing all out as a means of therapeutic self-care; then again, he may simply possess a likeness to Barney of Mayberry. I, the Empress Regnant, hereby bequeath him the title of, Little Friar of Mayberry.

...I don’t own a dog, I don’t like dogs...

Your neighbor's dog was already aware of such, before this morning. The question remains, what causes your fear of dogs? Calm down, Little Friar of Mayberry, while traversing your memories back to childhood and come to terms with such. You may wish to consider volunteering some time at your local kennel, so as to assist you with overcoming your fear of dogs.

Dogs are intelligent critters, some more so than others. They can easily sense many things about we mere humans, especially fear but much more, indeed. Keep such in mind, Little Friar of Mayberry.

It sounds as if you simply startled the dog, via unexpectedly stepping out to your front porch so very early this morning; thus, the dog reacted via growl, which is a completely natural behavior to be expected from a startled dog, regardless of breed. Such is simply a means of communication and often utilized as self-defense, while for other reasons as well. When you then became aggressive, it returned the favor Mexican stand-off style LOL. Imagine what might have occurred, if you had opted to toss it a plump filet mignon, instead. You very well might be best buddies with it, now; but nope, you were an idiot, instead.

My suggestion is that you visit your nearest pet store and purchase a variety of its nicest dog treats, along with two identical throw toys rated for its breed, along with a couple of break sticks. Return home and shower with no scent soap and adorn some freshly no scent laundered clothing. Call your neighbors and kindly ask to stop by for a visit, taking along some of the treats as a kind gift and only one of the throw toys, for a proper introduction to their dog, being that such is mandatory.

Have them leash the dog and give it one of your new treats. You give it one of your new treats, from a distance, after the fact. Get to know the dog in that manner, providing it the same opportunity of getting to know you in that manner, as well, while it is within the comfort of its own territory and master. You are going to be at a disadvantage with the dog, due to your assinine behavior this morning, but do not permit the dog to sense even an ounce of fear eminating from beneath your pores, because it will detect such, if present. Simply be confident and patiently kind to the dog, while alternating the process with its master. Break out the throw toy, next, permitting the dog's master first introduction of it to the dog; then, it is your turn to toss it for the dog. Your short-term goal is to reverse the damage you caused to your relationship with the dog; do it today.

You should make regular scheduled visits, at the same time each day, until you build-up a rapport with the dog. You do not need to stay long, just a few minutes each time. Think of the dog's master as its trainer; think of yourself as the dog's future handler. That is your long-term goal.

You will have the same treats at your house, as well as the matching throw toy upon your front porch, secured where the dog cannot access them, except via your permission, and you should utilize them in the same exact manner, if it returns. Keep the break stick handy and research how to properly utilize it, in the interim, merely as a safety precaution, Little Friar of Mayberry. You should be fine. Have fun! :)

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
I love dogs. I really do. But if a dog is growling aggressively at me and coming towards me on my own property, that dog is going to DIE. No SSS either. After it was down, then I'd be calling the police to let them know my neighbor's dog tried to attack me and I had to shoot it. Keep it all above board. And if the neighbors don't like it, tough toodles!!!!!

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Old yeller lab hunting dog returned, as if on queue directly after I tapped the Post Reply tab. I gave my dogs treats, first, then some to him, making each one sit before receiving one. He caught his master at home before this last penquin blast and has been gone a few days. All is well.

Latest posts