Neighbors with aggressive dog

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
If it was in a wide open field of id had a shotgun or rifle it would have been different. Ive seen my dads dogs drag themselves on the porch with guts hanging out and expire, Ive seen him send a few to do the same. Sub optimum calibers in the dark are great for such things.

That is exactly the neighbor feud I’m trying to avoid. Thankfully my dads neighbor passed away before they got to shooting each other, 6 dogs 3 pigs and one cow later….

FF/EMT516

8 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Blackrock, Ky
If it was in a wide open field of id had a shotgun or rifle it would have been different. Ive seen my dads dogs drag themselves on the porch with guts hanging out and expire, Ive seen him send a few to do the same. Sub optimum calibers in the dark are great for such things.

That is exactly the neighbor feud I’m trying to avoid. Thankfully my dads neighbor passed away before they got to shooting each other, 6 dogs 3 pigs and one cow later….
I understand trying to avoid a neighbor feud. Our dog has been running loose and I seen him coming back from the neighbors. I sent the neighbor a text and told him if he seen him he was ours and if he caused any problems or was a problem for him to be there to let me know and I’d keep him tied. He responded with as long as he doesn’t kill my chickens he’s fine. He’s not a chicken killer, but if he was for one I wouldn’t have him because I have chickens and for two he would stay tied. I’d hate if someone killed him but would completely understand if they did for him doing something like that. I try to be a reasonable neighbor but some you just can’t reason with.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
If I had already addressed them about it and it now has happened again, then you have already gave your warning. A aggressive dog on your property with children is not going to be tolerated. If I had a suppressed 22 I know how I would handle it. Then dispose of the dog, and not tell a soul. If you talk to them again and then it comes up missing then you’ll have aggressive neighbors at your door step next.

Unless you got good understanding neighbors, your the only one who can judge that. But with you offering to go half’s on a fence it don’t sound like they can be reasonably dealt with.

KYote-Krusher

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2006
South Central Kentucky
You've already had a conversation with the neighbor about the dog .... dog growls at you and makes an aggressive move towards you on your OWN PROPERTY ... bye bye doggie.

And there's not any reason to say anything to the neighbor ... I think there would be less tension in the long run if they suspect you did it ... rather than KNOW you did it for sure.

Since you've already let it go this time, would it not be a good idea to document the incident with the Sheriff? They wouldn't do anything but at least you'd have it on record in case a conflict does develop at a later date.

In any case ... SSS if it ever happens again and never doubt that you did the right thing ... especially if you've got young children running around your yard. Think of how you'd feel if that damn dog hurt or seriously injured or even killed one of your kids.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
We are mid election with a retired sheriff. I’m not calling interim Sheriff, one of the deputies etc… might try to make this front page and spin it wrong to get their name out.

However I’ve explained situation to household over some delicious bacon and I’m feeling guilty about not being more decisive over child safety. The more I think about it the less I feel like I owe it to keep asking the neighbors to do the right thing.

Shotgun is by the door, 10mm is in my carry holster and y’all and nobody else will hear the rest of the story, just hope it wasn’t too little too late. If a child or mine got hurt I couldn’t forgive myself.

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
Think about this....If you had not had your pistol, what would have happened?

Dog Warden here in Oldham county came to one of our Cattlemen's Association meetings one night. Her instructions were clear. You see a dog in your field chasing your cows/calves, you kill that dog. She told about a farmer who called her about a dog that he managed to catch in his field chasing his calves. She came and got the dog. When the dog's owner came to the pound to ask where the dog was, she told him he was out back in the compost heap.

It is a point in your favor that you were on your property, but if a pit bull comes at me - anywhere, anytime - I'm not sure I'm gonna give the dog the benefit of a warning shot.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
If I had already addressed them about it and it now has happened again, then you have already gave your warning. A aggressive dog on your property with children is not going to be tolerated. If I had a suppressed 22 I know how I would handle it. Then dispose of the dog, and not tell a soul. If you talk to them again and then it comes up missing then you’ll have aggressive neighbors at your door step next.

Unless you got good understanding neighbors, your the only one who can judge that. But with you offering to go half’s on a fence it don’t sound like they can be reasonably dealt with.
I don't know but will pit bulls be turned away with a shock fence?
Something tells me it only aggravates them more.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I don't know but will pit bulls be turned away with a shock fence?
Something tells me it only aggravates them more.
Some will some wont, due to high pain tolerance. i dont mess around with the electric fences. My pit mix wont leave the property unless dumdum (my great dane) is with her. The dane is sweet but dumb as a hammer. I swear i think the pit leads her way off then races back to the house hoping dumdum gets lost. She doesn’t like sharing her owners.

i gave up training the dane to stay on the property and have her on a run or walk with her on leash. PITA!

Last edited: