Needing some tips

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Kyhunter96, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Kyhunter96

Kyhunter96 Fawn

Oct 6, 2014
    Went out this morning around 5 got in the hills about 5:30, as soon as I turned the Atv off I heard a tom gobbling at some owls, he was around 200-300 yards away. So I managed to sneak about 50yards from him got set up at a good spot, he was still gobbling a ton, 20-30 times. Day light started to break and I heard a fly down, but that was when the problem started. 2 hens flew down from a tree behind me around 10 yards away, and they was headed directly at the roosted tom. I could've stood up and spit on them if they would've let me lol. But I kept still and waited for the hens too get out of sight and did a little bit of soft yelping in hopes of bringing in the tom, he would respond some at my calls but it was already to late. His gobbles got less and less louder as him and the hens went the opposite way around the ridge. My question here is, what could've I done to get his attention to come my way? Or Maybe try and get the hens to turn my way? What would've you all done in my situation?
    Fairly new to turkey hunting, harvested 1 tom 2 years ago and that's all.

2. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    That's when I pack up and move somewheres else lol. Nothing you can do bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Hunt him mid day, if he's that hot he will come back. Idk turkey hunting is tough. Unpredictable

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    Circle around try to cut them off. Good chance he will roost in that area again tonight. Be there this afternoon.

5. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Run the hens off if possible. If they start putting or fly, cackle to cover their putting and to sound like another turkey flying down.

6. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Next time run the hens off..Perhaps you might get busted, but perhaps not..At any rate its a sure bet you will get left standing at the altar if you allow hens to go to him!

7. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    ^^^^^^this

8. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    I'd go with what turk2di said. Or and several will say this is stupid and dangerous but if you follow them with a fan from a previous Tom and hide behind the fan u can liss off a henned up Tom and he'll run right in your lap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Definitely no expert .... and running the hens off may be the ticket. But their just reacting naturally .... to go to the gobbler. Which even flushing the hens away....once he gobbles a few times their going to find a way to get to him. It is just a gamble if in that time ... he will start seeking or just stay put gobbling.

My opinion ... and take it for what it's worth.... but if you know which way they headed ....I'd do my best to be in that direction before daylight. Which most times a gobbler has a strut zone they will use. Might be ridge top, old logging road ...some type of clearing or field. But their headed to the same general area day after day ... unless something like hunting pressure changes their pattern for some reason.

Most times it's more or less the hens towing the gobbler. Getting in front of them ....being patient may pay off. Might even focus on calling the hens instead of the tom ....which im saying ....don't necessarily call to the gobble but if you hear the hens .... call to them. Which usually there will be at least one ... boss vocal hen in the group. Not usually that hard to get her tuned up if she thinks there's another dominant hen around.

With this said.... there's nothing foolproof in turkey hunting . May have been a complete coincidence they headed that way. But maybe not ... and being around an area / travel path will be to your advantage.

Good luck!!

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

10. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    Take a nap and kill him midday when the hens leave him.

11. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    When ever that happens to me I always try to scare the hens off if possible without spooking the tom. I have actually throw stuff at them before believe it or not. thats a fact. One time I picked up some rocks and that did the trick and another time they just kept coming no matter what I did and I slung a slate call at them. They dont care. They know whats up sometimes I think. An they will for sure turn him in the wrong direction if the get past you too him everytime. Or like said come back later. Anytime you can keep hens away from a gobbling bird in the morning at fly down you prolly will have a good chance of killing him. But it all happens so fast sometimes nothing you can do about it.

12. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    I think you did fine to not spook the hens, then call to the gobbler after they went by.. He would not leave those hens to come to you--but he heard you and he knew there was another strange "hen" there. That gobbler, as sure as the sun rise, will come back as soon as those hens leave him to go to a nest-- to look for you. It is just a matter of patience . After the turkeys were safely behind a hill out of sight, you can set up a little back in the brush about midway where you have a side view of the route he took, where you can watch the approach to where you were when you called. By at least 12 or 1 pm he will be there. Look out--he may also approach from a different direction, or another gobbler may show up long before he gets there.

Resist the urge to call once you relocate, It will tip him off that you aren't at the memorized spot and he will be looking directly for YOU and he may see you first.