Needing some advice

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by cracker0169, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cracker0169

cracker0169 Spike

Jan 21, 2011
    Benton, KY
    I've been hunting my whole life and just the last year or so really got into predator hunting. I had success last year dispatching some coyotes and a bobcat. This winter I've been in a serious rut. I called in one young dog last week. I've seen coyotes and they ignored the caller (foxpro spitfire). I just can't figure out what's going on. I've hunted a creek bottom around my house in the evening and never see a dog, yet about an hour after dark, I can hear yotes raising hell. Is this sporadic weather just not making them hungry enough to respond? I'm stumped!

I set up for 10-15 minutes per stand. I play the wind like I should. I start out with volume on 3 and then increase to 4 and sometimes 5 if its windy. I play it for 30 secs to 1 min and turn it off a couple mins. I've tried adult cottontail, jackrabbit, lightning jack, snowshoe, gray fox & red fox distresses. I've used male interrogation, and both of my female howls. I'm not sure what else to do...

2. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    They are flat out into the breeding season. Concentrate on your coyote vocalizations.

3. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    How long will this gone on for? With that, I mean, how long should a man stay with the vocalizations?

How long will this cycle last and how long should you stay with vocalizations?

4. TedB

TedB 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2005
    Nicholasville
    Stay in the stand longer. I've had 2 come in at the 40-45 minute mark this year while after cats. Pup distress killed one. The other came in to bird sounds. And most places i stay away from rabbit sounds unless its way out of the way. I like birds, fox and pups. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    They don't all breed at the same time. I stay with the coyote vocals until at least the 3rd week in February, maybe even the last week. They will work anytime, but especially well during breeding season.