Need some help calling

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by ManofManyStangs, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    I have a lucky Duck revolt and haven't been able to call coyotes in. I have only had them answer me twice. We are definitely hunting where notes are at. Call sequence help and for how long to call, would be much appreciated.

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    If they answer you answer them back with the same sounds if you have them.
    I like to start out with a pair howling play for about 1 minute or less then just set and wait, if nothing happens in say 5 min hit them again only not as long and wait, after about 5-8 minutes hit them with rabbit distress for just 20-30 seconds and go straight to pups in distress!
    If nothing shows up in 10 minutes your done move to another spot.
    Control your volume to reach out as far as you think they are don't over call and don't call to loud, think like your turkey hunting most times they will just sneak in or walk in looking around, they very seldom charge in full blast, but will to pups in distress.

ManofManyStangs likes this.
  3. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    The problem is your not using a fox pro call!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get a foxpro call and you’ll start calling some in.

Lol. I’m kiddin ya.
    Anymore I don’t start stands with coyote vocals other than distressed Yote vocals.
    Unless it’s early morning or late evening right at dark. Cause to be honest I’ve never heard them howl or bark around here after 7 in morning or so. Not saying it don’t work. It prolly does. I just don’t normally do. I have though.
    I either start my stands out with rabbit or Fawn or some kind of animal distress other than coyote,( or I have started out with coyote distress with success. It just depends on my mood. Lol). I let it play for 15 to 20 minutes. I might pause it a couple times for a minute or something. After that I’ll wait 5 or so minutes and play pup distress calls (I have 4 or 5 different ones) that I switch between every couple minutes for prolly 10 minutes. If nothing I go to another place. That’s just me and my hunting. I’ve been calling for 12 years now. I’ve had pretty good success I’d say. I make more blank sets than I do kill sets though but that’s part of it. Keep after them.
    I’m gonna make prolly 7 or 8 sets tomar on 4 diff farms in 2 county’s. Hoping to draw some blood on something.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  4. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    And also I’ve heard people say start at low volumes on rabbit distress or whatever. I have done that. Not saying it’s not good. But my way of thinking a rabbit in distress that’s dieing is not gonna start out low volume, that joker gonna be crying wide open. My way of thinking.
    I learn all the time. You just gotta get out there and give it your all and play the wind.
    Good luck.

ManofManyStangs likes this.
  5. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    Just curious which fox pro do you like?

6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I like the shock wave but I have the wildfire. Lol.

7. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    Why do you like the fox pro over the lucky duck?

8. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I don’t. I was just kiddin with you. Foxpro is first call I bought 12 years ago and it was a spitfire. I sold it to a guy on predators master forum and bought a wildfire off a guy I work with for same money I sold spitfire for.
    Btw made 7 sets today and the seventh set called in a coyote at bout 15 minute mark of playing pup screams. It came out a thicket 250 yards away and stared my direction for prolly 2 minutes and turned broadside and took shot and MISSED. I put second mill dot on it thinkin it was 300. Pretty disheartening. I’ve never shot at one that far though. Most times it’s 100 and under

Dark Cloud likes this.
  9. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    What caliber are you using?

10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
  11. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    I've been looking at 22-250.

12. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    At least you got to pull the trigger. I went tonight with the shotgun and had at least a pair respond vocal to some howls but I couldn't get em to come out of the woods. They weren't more than a couple hundred yards.

13. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I have a TC venture predator in .22/250, wouldn't trade it for the world! Get a 22/250, you wont be disappointed!

14. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    Just ordered the x-wave, we will see how this goes

15. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    What was wrong with lucky duck??