Need help!! Best public huntin along the mississippi in ky?any help would be awesome

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by mathews126, Nov 17, 2012.

1. mathews126

mathews126 Spike

Apr 21, 2011
    Alright a couple friends and I are wanting to do some traveling and hunting some so we arnt hunting the same places here at home everyday I've got a mud boat and would like more places to use it any opinions or ideas on where to go would be great we are wanting to go west as close to the Mississippi as possible without having to get into another state and buy license were already planning a trip to Arkansas so any help would be great

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. CUT EM'

CUT EM' 6 pointer

Aug 23, 2009
    NKY
    Look at fish and wildlife website at different WMA areas

3. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Your choices are extremely slim given your criteria.......

4. You'd want to hunt Hickman Bottoms.

But, sadly, you'll need another 28' on the Cairo guage. Which, from the looks of things, probably won't happen this year.

:-/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. Find sand bar, dig hole, put out decoys, get in hole, shoot ducks, repeat as necessary.

6. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    Sounds about right.

7. You may as well be asking for the combination to get in my wifes undies son. Asking people for there duck holes is akin to high treason around here.

8. 13space82

13space82 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2008
    Paducah, Ky
    just drive 3 more hours and go to Arkansas twice.

9. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    How far down is old man river at Hickman for any of you around those parts? not water level, but what's the harbor look like? Does Bayou de Chein or Obion creek have any water?

10. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Buddy of mine crossed it yesterday going to MO and said it's lower than it ever got last year.

11. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Low water can mean good hunting if it exposes the right sandbars. Ducks still use it as a landmark for migration.

12. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    I'm wondering if its still possible to get in to obion or bayou de chein. From the flow gauge, it's low but not extremely low. But the MS really determines their height. Looks like my plans to hunt near there will require some extra time for navigation scouting.

13. Blood River

Blood River 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2006
    West Bank of Ky. Lake
    The bayou de chein is spring fed I believe and starts around Water Valley or Cuba? It just supplied a 5 acre filled about 2ft of water over the weekend.

14. mike_b

mike_b 8 pointer

Aug 8, 2010
    Ledbetter
    Well, I was hoping the local watersheds might still have water. Bayou de chien may be spring fed but it is the water shed for a large swath of land.

I looked at the probability calculations for the season. Out through the second week of December there is only a 50% chance that it will be above 20 ft. It doesn't reach a 75% probability for 20ft till the second week of February 2013. Well, that data is for Newburgh, which isn't a real good gauge for Cairo but it normally runs higher.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  15. Being a towboater, I have been hearing rumors about the ACE possibly shutting the water flow out of the Missouri River, which would dramatically decrease the water levels yet again, according to a USCG theoretical prediction. I've heard predictions as low as 2' on the Cairo gauge. Talk about drastic conditions.