Need help aging this deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by PrimeTine, Jul 27, 2020.

1. 257Wmag

257Wmag 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    I'd guess 3.5 like most but you can't always tell by body size. I've had 3 years of pics of a buck, big racked non-T and he never got much bigger than a large doe, probably 130 lbs as a 5-6 year old. I'd bust em, could get EHD, shot by neighbors or just disappear. If I had 1000s of acres it'd be a good one to let grow.

2. desmogger

desmogger Fawn

Sep 10, 2004
    Annapolis, MD, USA.
    Really impossible to be sure without looking at teeth. From the 3 phts and RACK development he is minimum 2 years 6 months more likely 3years 6 mnths. Next year he should have more Mass

3. 1FowlHNTR

1FowlHNTR Spike

Jul 29, 2017
    Rowan County
    In MY opinion, I'd give him a pass. Being where you are, with the amount of acreage you have, plus having DBNF on your side, it's gonna take somebody hard core to get in close enough to make a play. Wait until late season to harvest your does. You can't shoot big dear shooting young deer

PrimeTine and Timholt70 like this.
  4. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    with that rack, does he make good breeding stock?

5. PrimeTine

PrimeTine 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2011
    Breathitt County
    Those genetics down there are all messed up anyway. Very little danger in messing these genetics up. The some are typical but there’s an abundance of non-typical.

6. clovis67

clovis67 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2008
    He does look kinda poor in the group of pics....but looks healthy in the last picture.I think he looks like 3.5 just from studying his body size.Past history is really the only sure way to know any bucks age.I would give him a pass ..IF.. you feel good about the hunting pressure around this bucks core area....

7. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    Im thinking 2.5 or 3.5. Its hard to say 2.5 because of the rack but I had a big 2.5 yo one year that fooled me aswell. heres a picture of him and everyone called me out on the age but I got pretty much rock solid proof imo. IMG_1645.JPG

PrimeTine likes this.
  8. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    how friendly are your neighbors? would they put off this buck for a year or two? nobody shoots it till everybody decides its open season.

9. PrimeTine

PrimeTine 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2011
    Breathitt County
    Don’t have any neighbors that live or hunt on the land and the rest is DBNF

Brody and 00noturkey like this.
  10. rborges66

rborges66 Fawn

Dec 16, 2009
    Near Benton KY
    Deer is 3.5 in November, doesn't have messed up body or ears from fighting. His nose and face are long and not short and aged. He doesn't have a belly up forward - the older ones carry the roundness of the belly all the way to the front legs and he has a skinny young neck. He isn't old and declining and isn't old enough to shoot if you want to shoot a mature deer.

Talk to neighbors and agree to wait until next year on him with the idea going to the stand your not shooting this excellent specimen who will blow up next year and then add more bone the next year.

The deer looks nice now but somebody should take a really good deer next year or the next - worth the price to watch now, find his sheds and maybe take next year. I would love to see this deer 2 years from now when his belly will be sagging all the way to his front legs, shortened snout and swollen neck. You will be lucky if you wait, nobody gets him next year and you get a crack 2022.

Good luck and hope you find the sheds and get him next year or the next - 2 years sheds and 3rd year harvest would be optimal - maybe in 190's 2 years from now. That's management and that's why its not easy - except to calculate what should be done, execution considering neighbors, locking antlers to the death, cars and CWD are more variables out of management control.

I would pay 3500 dollars for a crack at him 2 years from now in velvet early season patterning - 2500 next year. Until my wife said no way!!!

Good luck waiting and hopefully you get the chance on him next year - pass this year and watch for some management does and bucks - then a 175 may step out while your not thinking or doing the right things because it happens that way.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    If I'm not mistaken. Young deer have short noses, not older deer

PrimeTine likes this.
  12. 00noturkey

00noturkey 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    High Grove
    DBNF, you might roll a 7, if you wait, but you taking a bigger chance on snake eyes.

PrimeTine likes this.
  13. PrimeTine

PrimeTine 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2011
    Breathitt County
    I’d really like to watch him grow but as he’s patterned in morning and evening it’s going to be hard to pass up. He’s still growing and even bulbing a new tine off his main beam. Here’s a pic from 20 minutes ago, you can see it coming out on the inside of his right main beam

Attached Files:

Strut 'N' Buck and 1wildcatfan like this.
  14. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 8 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I know a lot of people that get on forums and act like they are almighty and King Kong when it comes to deer hunting and if it isn’t 10+ yrs old it’s not a shooter. Unless you have deer on the farm that are bigger, you’re crazy for letting it walk. Don’t care if it’s 1 or 10 yrs old. If they ain’t there, you can’t kill them. Shoot what you want, but it’s a no brainer IMO.

xbokilla, Meatstick and PrimeTine like this.
  15. PrimeTine

PrimeTine 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2011
    Breathitt County

Haha, I get what you’re saying. I just don’t think I could ever let this deer walk no matter the age. I know if I never had it on camera and it came trotting through the woods with that rack, I sure would not try to age it. This deer would make me happy this year. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to know what he’d look like in a year or two but that’s a big risk and it’s a chance I may never get back. This deer is unique with his rack and I’d like to bring him into my home and take good care of him

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020