Need Advice On Seed For A Food-plot For Deer ??

Caverun_KY

6 pointer
Nov 21, 2012
Not Here
I was lookin' on Bass Pro at food-plot seed, and there is so much to try and pick from.

Can anyone please give me some advice on what type of seed would be best to plant for deer ??

I was wanting seed that would come back next year. . I seen some that said once you planted the seed, It would come back for up to 3 to 5 years.

Thanks! . . Have a great weekend!

Last edited:

K9trapper

12 pointer
Dec 7, 2006
I doubt anyone here would be buying seed at BPS. You can buy tHe same or better from the farm stores. Clover will last several yrs, with proper mgt. What equipment do you have? No quality planting will last without maintenance.

bigredhunter

6 pointer
Jan 30, 2012
Boyle County
Same as K9 said. Go to a local farm supply store. It like wheat and clover mix this time of the year. Clover will be good also for turkey season in the spring. The type of clover you mix will depend on your ground and how much sun it gets.

deadaim

12 pointer
Dec 12, 2001
Booger Hollar
If its your first time and you have not checked your soil PH I would go with Cereal Rye , red clover , oats and some cow peas or austrian peas. This will give the deer something for this season and then the clover will be going good next spring if the soil is at least half decent. All can be had from local farm store. I would not plant expensive clover ect. Until you know how good your soil is.

camclo01

6 pointer
Oct 11, 2010
louisville, KY
If you live near Louisville go to caudill seed company as they have all the seeds you want at a good rate. Red clover, black soy, mung beans, etc. they even have packs made just for deer if you are a beginner. I buy mine there every year. Better prices than in Monroe co. Where farm is

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
My best results have come from putting out ladino clover. With the amount of rain we have been getting there should still be plenty pf time to produce a nice fall / winter stand. After it come up the deer work on it year round. It is also great forage for small game as well. I have had great results both with ladino alone and mixing an anual seed when bordcasting.
It can be done with a small amount of prep work and easily maintained by mowing and or spraying clover friendly herbicides. A bonus has been that the Turkeys utilize it in the spring. You can get ladino seed for around $4 a pound or it is cheaper by the bag. I try to refresh my plots every 3 to 4 years.

Wish you success.

Latest posts