Neat Experience with NKY Buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Gioacchino, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Kentucky
    A buddy and I were out scouting and putting cams up and had a pretty neat encounter with a buck. Nothing "insane", but definitely the closest I've ever been to a living deer.

2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    That's cool, but just wait till he gets the hunting guide and season comes in!

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    How close is the nearest subdivision?

4. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    Clearly you had treated your clothing with the anti-UV-Glo-in-the-Dark-blue-ghost kit remover.

bdbrown66, Gioacchino and Carpdaddy like this.
  5. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Kentucky
    Very close to this particular location.

6. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    This was my first thought. That deer almost seemed as if it was used to human interaction. When I was in college I was part of a land survey crew and had something similar happen. People of this subdivision said if u see "Buck" come running at you don't be scared he is just playful. #0 minutes in and something is tugging at my shirt tail. You guessed it, Buck. He was a little 5 point that was way too tame!!

7. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Back in 2006, I had KYHillChick and #3 son, Angus, out with me. We were putting up a buddy treestand together. These two bucks came around, and got within 10 feet of us watching the stand go up. I caught them the next week on one of my trail cams.

[​IMG]

We even had two dogs with us. The deer could have cared less about them, and the dogs acted like the deer didn't exist. The bucks stayed for about 5 minutes watching us and then sauntered off.

This was in a heavily hunted section of Bracken County. Go figure.

8. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL

Nothing to see here were just scouting the hunting spots!

9. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Kentucky
    Now that is up close and personal, lol!

I'm surprised the dogs didn't react.
    Are you from Bracken?

10. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Yes, SW Bracken to be exact. I can see the back end of Roosters from my front porch.

The dogs were hilarious. Both acted like the deer weren't there. My guess is they were somewhat scared at the big animals just showing up like that. The funny thing is one was my big collie/shepherd mix. He'd try to herd just about anything-- kids on bicycles, cattle, etc. For whatever reason, those two bucks had both my dogs completely cowed.

I've had a lot of odd deer interactions over the years. A lot of them happened in the 'burbs, but a surprising number happen here in Neave. When they're not being hunted, deer can be really cool. The other morning, I had a doe walk up to my bedroom window and wake me up, snorting. That same doe was out over 4th of July, standing in the middle of the road watching kids set off fireworks. It started to rain heavily, and she disappeared from the road, only to reappear at the neighbor's trailer sniffing the spent fireworks the kids had left in the road.

Last year ( I think it's the same doe) came up and stood in the middle of the road watching me on the front porch. All of a sudden, she got weird and ran off. When I went to see what had spooked her, I spied what she saw:

[​IMG]

She'd seen it through the living room window.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  11. Gioacchino

Gioacchino 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2016
    Kentucky
    Sent you a PM Shaman.

12. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    For sure........:D

13. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I used to think deer were naturally adverse to humans. Living 25 years in the suburbs disabused me of that idea. The truth is, if they're not being hunted actively, whitetails are largely indifferent to humans. I get the feeling at times that I'm entertainment for the deer-- their answer to television.

Even where they are actively hunted, I regularly have odd interactions with them. I had a doe that used to seek me out every time I was up in a particular stand, and I could swear that she used to lure bucks past me in hopes I'd shoot them. I finally nailed a nice 8 pointer that was following her past my stand. At first, she seemed really upset, but I found her later that morning bedded against the duffle bag I'd lowered out of the stand. She'd been watching my buddy and me loading the deer in the truck.

Littlephil likes this.
  14. Longdrive

Longdrive 6 pointer

Aug 28, 2012
    Spencer Co
    Well at least you won't need a stand