Narrowly Avoided a Disaster

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by JR in KY, Dec 18, 2019.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    We had a bit of lightening a couple days ago and it threw the Breaker that my freezer is hooked onto.
    We saw some water draining today...checked it out and some things were thawed. Big stuff like pork shoulder roasts were fine.

I have cooked 12 chikin breasts, 4 TBone steaks, wife made chikin n dumplins, a bunch of vegetable soup, and Best of all a Peach Pie. Bagged the cooked chikin till tomorrow, son came up and we ate T Bones.
    Cats were overjoyed as they got some sausage and ground beef for supper.

In short, if the weather was warm we would have had it. But we ate good and set for leftovers for a day or two.

[​IMG]

Nock, Carl, jblack1 and 5 others like this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Nightmare! I'm glad you caught it when you did..
    Now it's time to filler back up on 88 cent hams! ...And more peaches.:)

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Had a basement freezer full of deer meat get unplugged by in-law visitors in 2011. Wanted to cry and i had to disassemble the freezer to clean the stank off after multiple attempts. Worst smell ever and almost threw the freezer away till i figured out the hidden places needing cleaning.
    Very glad to hear you caught it in time and it sounds like the freezer wasnt damaged either.

jblack1 likes this.
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Barney, the reason we found it was I had bought another one of those Kroger 88 cent hams and was putting it in the Freezer.
    Kroger also had top quality Swifts Premium Boston Butts gor $1.19.

barney, Dark Cloud and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  5. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Don't think there are gonna run out of 88 cent hams. Just go back from Kroger. They have bunkers full of them. Can you double wrap them up and freeze them and be OK for 6months?

6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Glad you caught it early, we have cooked meat that thawed out before, and refroze it.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I lost a whole turkey and probably 200lbs of deer meat about 5-6 years ago. Sucks!

8. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Bought a new big upright from Lowes a couple of years ago and put my 25 year old chest freezer down to the garage. We bought a half a beef and had a pig slaughtered, about a week later, I go down to the basement to get some steaks and shrimp, half way down the steps , my heart beat picked up, I could smell the shrimp, sure enough the new freezer went out. Lowes sends a guy to fix it, turns out , a piece of the insulating foam got stuck in the fan and burn't it up......Back to the butcher to re-load, fill it back up and two days later I checked it and again it's not working, luckily just a couple things really un-thawed, and after removing the bottom items I find the fan hanging down in a bind. The "Tech" used screws that was not long enough to thread all the way. I fixed it myself but lost about 1k worth of food over stupidity, which is why I hate new appliances.

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    We needed another freezer a few years ago (after MIL decided she wanted the one FIL had given us years before back - but that's a whole 'nother story). We looked at new ones, read reviews, and ended up going to a used appliance store & bought a huge OLD "harvest gold" one that we affectionately call "Big & Ugly" for $100. It's worked like a charm....

Carl, Regulator623 and barney like this.
  10. Chessie202

Chessie202 6 pointer

Nov 15, 2004
    Harrison Co.
    I think one of those freezer alarms would be worth the money.

JR in KY likes this.
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I've lost two freezers full of venison. One had been out for awhile, caused some serious gagging and the smell in the house lingered for quite some time.

12. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Well, I think they at least should have an indicator light on them while they are running.
    Maybe the newer ones do?
    Mine is right beside the garage door in hopes I see water if it goes off. I Did.

13. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    My.new one has an indicator light

davers likes this.
  14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I have a medium sized freezer, that will hold two - three Deer. What I do is place a couple of large bags of Ice on the bottom, and have a generator nearby. Thus far no issues with my 12 year old freezer, but I always check it daily.

15. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Mine too.