NAFA auction

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by trapperjoey, Feb 21, 2013.

1. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    Ok thanks guys I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I would really like the feedback from them as far as what was wrong and what was right. I think it would be neat to just get that feedback

Goals/Catches
    Coon 15/25
    Coyote 3/4
    Fox 3/2
    Beaver 2/9
    Otter 1/0
    Mink 1/0
    Bobcat 2/4
    Skunk 0/2
    Grinner 0/lost count

2. ky trapper

ky trapper Fawn

Feb 13, 2010
    I have always sold local but have looked into shipping can someone tell me how much it cost to use nafa's pickup. I found the schedule but cannot find how much it cost, does it matter if you are a member or not. If anyone can help me with any info thanks. Hope everyone gets good prices no matter which way they sell. It takes a lot of hard work. Good luck tommorrow at the Etown sell, please post some prices.

3. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    The way I understand it they just pick it up and you're charged 11% for everything after it sells.

Goals/Catches
    Coon 15/25
    Coyote 3/4
    Fox 3/2
    Beaver 2/9
    Otter 1/0
    Mink 1/0
    Bobcat 2/4
    Skunk 0/2
    Grinner 0/lost count

4. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    if your a member it 9 percent an its worth being a member if you going to ship a decent amount of fur there everyear

5. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    I'm a member, and with free shipping, 2% discount at auction and the rebates, joining pays for itself quick. I'm not shipping a lot of fur either, just my best stuff.

My experience with NAFA: ship the best stuff and you'll be rewarded, if you are a marginal fur handler sell locally, it adds to the excitement of trapping as the auction is in early June (extends the season for me), the grading at NAFA is tight so don't send junk or you'll have a list of $1-2 furs. NAFA isn't the only market, but is for my better goods. Taxidermist, country buyers and state auctions are all good sources to sell, if you're marketing properly.

6. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    "readonly" how did your coons grade? Semi or Central?????? I would think we have a similiar type of coon, that is a good average for not cherry picking anything!

I'm still debating if I want to take a little finished stuff to Etown tomorrow. I may bring it, if the prices are good I'll throw it on the table, if not, it will stay in the truck!!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Corey

7. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    my coons were a mix of ENC, east semi and central. Used to get WNC and west semi but not last year or this. Usually 5-10% XXXL, but my first run had none, even though I had several 17-18# coon. My average would have gone up a lot with a few XXXL since size was a big factor on this sale.

I cherry picked yotes since I couldn't get them all put up in time for the auction, sent these three up and the brought 43, 43 and 68 from l-r.
    [​IMG]

This how the rest my VA fur avg's panned out:
    red: 65.67
    cat: 88 for a lge red
    otter: 100
    grey: 46.88 (high 58, low 35 for m/s)
    beaver: 46.25 (high 68, nothing smaller than a lge)
    had a muskrat and that went 15 for an early xxl

very pleased with the auction, hope it holds through may....no doubt they will be coming out of the woodwork next fall

8. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    Good job readonly

9. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Thanks for posting your averages! Those are some dandy looking yotes, they go Eastern or Semi?
    You did outstanding on your grey fox!!!! I'm crying like a baby for selling mine for $27 apiece and reds for $35.... :(

Hope the May sale is a good one!!!!!

10. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks readonly! Guys I hope we do 1/2 as good as that tomorrow

11. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    2 easterns and a semi. Good luck to you fellas tomorrow!