NAFA auction

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by trapperjoey, Feb 21, 2013.

1. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Is anyone else watching the NAFA auction? Top lot northern western coons went for 240.00

2. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    Wow, a truckload of those would heal a man right up;)

Goals/Catches
    Coon 15/25
    Coyote 3/4
    Fox 3/2
    Beaver 2/9
    Otter 1/0
    Mink 1/0
    Bobcat 2/4
    Skunk 0/2
    Grinner 0/lost count

3. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    Yea top eastren just went 62 i think

4. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    kentucky is in the central and some in the eastern semi heavy

5. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    I've only shipped coins there a couple times. Most grade at Eastern Semi, with a few Central and Western Semi thrown in. I wish we had coins like the guys from Minnesota and Wisconsin!

6. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Yes and no When the idiots see these price everybody is going to be out trapping next year. It will be like back in the 80's. You will have to sit on your traps to keep them from getting stolen

7. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    Trapper joey is right many will want to get in the game but many will not make it . Sure some will but most will see that there is to much work in it for them digging holes an skinning an fleshing fur an the traps will return to the nail. You guys thats in it know what i mean alot work in trapping alot dedication takes special people imo to do it especialy the working trapper run traps early an skin late after work. People like perry been doing 25 plus years i heard him say now that dedication to the sport many of the guys on here have it . I will admit any money you get from trapping is super nice helps on the gas bill but the die hards will trap if coon bring 2 dollars i would.

8. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Anyone want to quess what fur will do saturday?

9. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    I had my VA coon up there......right now I'm sitting on an average of $17+ with 2 buybacks......that's with small, blue and damaged included.
    I had prices of 36, 33, 32. I did not have many sized lge or below, and none bigger than 2xl (even though I sent some 33" up there) Awesome sale for sure. But my smaller east coast coon did better on the March '08 sale. For the guys with big midwest heavies, they are seeing the best prices on coon in 30 years.
    I had an early Dec muskrat go for $15 last night.

Tomorrow will be the big day. I have some fox and beaver that graded really well and I am excited to see how it goes.

10. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Yea the northern fur did real good. Hope we see some of that at the Etown auction. Hope you make big bucks on your foxes and beaver

11. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    I finally just figured out the link for the pickups and there's one 20 minutes from my house march 16th! Now I really don't know what to do, was gonna ship to grinwolds but now I might just send it up there. If I send it in march when would it sale and would I get the money back to buy some more traps before next season? LOL

12. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    I shipped to Groenys a couple times and would sooner pitch it over the hill then deal with them again. They will lowball you, you can haggle your way up, but I always felt like I needed a bath after dealing with them. And my fur always brings more money at NAFA.
    That said, your fur will sell with the market at NAFA. The world economy affects the fur market. The last really good coon sale was 5 years ago. Then in May it was still strong but met resistance, and they held over most my coon, selling the very best and the worst. The economy crashed in the fall and coon tanked the following Feb, everything held over slowly sold over the next 2-3 years.
    There is more to NAFA than coon....fox, coyote, otter, beaver, cats....I have always done better than I could expect anywhere else. If the market holds you will have better money by the beginning of summer than you would otherwise. If you really can't wait, look up Don Wolf on trapperman and see about shipping to him....he's a buyer in Indiana and is a decent honest man, will know the value of your fur.

13. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    It's not like I'm gonna pay the mortgage with it! LOL but I was hoping to buy some more trapping equipment with it. So you're saying they could hold it for a couple years?

Goals/Catches
    Coon 15/25
    Coyote 3/4
    Fox 3/2
    Beaver 2/9
    Otter 1/0
    Mink 1/0
    Bobcat 2/4
    Skunk 0/2
    Grinner 0/lost count

14. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    If you ship to nafa rubline an your fur is picked up on the 16th of march your fur will sale in may toward the last of month i think, you get your money in june. My fur pick up is the 15th . There is a 11 percent commission if your a non member but 9 percent if a member. It cost 100 bucks to become a member for 5 years an they will deduct it from your earnings if you wish.

15. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Rub line it will be offered in the next sale at NAFA, but there is no guarantee that it will sell . I think the next one is in May. NAFA is kinda like playing the stock market. People did good this year sending it in but by May the bottom could drop out of the market. The chinese where the market movers this year, and also because of the devaluation of the dollar. So yes it could take a couple years, But if the market stays the way it is it should sell then, but there is no guarantee.