My Wife Talked Me into Getting A Traeger.

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by JDMiller, Oct 6, 2019.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Me & my better half have been talking for probably a year on getting a pellet grill / smoker. We’ve looked at a bunch of different ones and the wife kept urging me to get a Traeger.

So.... long story short .... never owned a pellet grill / smoker but ordered a Pro 780 from Traeger this weekend.

Which I’ll have to admit I’m a little excited about getting it. I use to smoke a lot with my old Masterbuilt but I’ve just about wore it out. In turn about everybody I know whose bought a pellet grill /smoker raves on how their food turns out. Guess I’ll have to find out when it gets here.

7FAB7EB0-A2BE-43BE-B6E6-143E72051153.jpeg
    5FBB3DFE-1422-4FAE-A1B0-0C36330FAFED.jpeg

F6A919BC-E6F7-4560-8A23-FFB75A839C29.jpeg 0AB2EF51-E87C-4B66-A7E2-0A3B8B53C8B7.jpeg

barney, HCDH66, pentail and 1 other person like this.
  2. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Congrats man! I'm wanting one bad. Buddy of mine has a pit boss and loves it. I like the cold smoke option too.

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Thanks.

One of the guys I work with has a Pitboss vertical pellet smoker... it’s freakin huge. But the briskets & butts he’s turning out are absolutely the best I ever tasted.

Which we looked at Pitboss, Green Mountain & Rec-Tek.

My opinion the Rec-Tek’s are on top of the heap with their stainless options but heck they cost more than the Traegers. The Green Mountain by the time you get the wi-fi options and comparable size your in the Traeger ball park on cost.

Which most reviews or comparison videos it’s always Traeger vs insert brand here. So... at my wife’s persistence .. just bit the bullet and bought the Traeger she liked.

But man... can’t wait for it to get here. To me...Fall is one of the best time of the year to get serious on smoking some meat.

muddhunter, bondhu and Munson like this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    One of the PA guys brought one down to camp 2 year ago. We smoked burgers,butt,brisket and backstrap it done an excellent job. When the masterbuilt goes belly up. I will probably go pellet. Traeger is on my top 2 list. Can't wait to see the in use pics.

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
  6. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Well, Traeger is the Cadillac model for sure. My son has one and it does a nice job.
    One thing I think you still need is a dual Temperature probe for the meat... you stick that probe in the pork butt and you know Exactly what is going on to the degree without even lifting the lid.

You will love the smoker, kinda takes the work out of the process. We will All be over for dinner.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm sure it's nice and you'll enjoy it. I bought a ceramic grill/smoker last winter. I was tired of wearing out gas grills every three years.
    My wife said "That's it. No more grills!".

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Man that’s awesome. Happy smokin to ya!

9. Bubbles

Bubbles Banned

Oct 25, 2016
    Glad it's not just me. I have an 8 year old grill. Have replaced the burners twice. Not nearly as good as the originals. Now it looks like the sides and bottom are rusting out. Apparently the stainless steel is just where it's visible and not where it needs to be...under the burners catching the grease. Gonna buy a pellet grill myself...probably a Pit Boss. I am just wondering if it's worth it to gut my pretty SS grill and add a charcoal box to it and save it for deer camp or something.

Buddy of mine has a Weber. Has had it for 10 plus years. Everything inside it is original. I find it hard to believe.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I liked the infrared grills that were really good with level heat but about every couple of years I would put bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on there while I was drinking and catch the damn things on fire. They just don't last long after than. At least with my primo I can close the vents and smother it.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    JR.... to my understanding the Traeger we ordered has a dual temp probe. Being one is factory mounted inside the grill area to tell you the temperature of the grill.

The other is a regular meat temp probe to be inserted in the meat to give you internal temp. Being it comes with the grill, you plug it into the controller jack and there’s a grommet on the side of grill to run the cable and probe through.

When you use the probe you change the setting on the controller to probe then both temps are displayed on the controller... and the Wi-FI app on your phone.

820ED97E-6996-4946-BDCC-96FEB7AAACD6.jpeg

12. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    I'm wanting the Camp Chef pellet grill/smoker awful bad. Like mentioned, the Traeger is a benchmark unit that all seem to compare to. I just like some of the small details of the Camp Chef over the Traeger but have no doubts that most all of them will yield some INCREDIBLE grub!

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I bought a little Infrared in 2012 and it’s still going strong. Love it! I have bought new grates once. It is my first gas grill. Always used charcoal before. Liked mine so much, my wife and I bought an updated version of mine for my brother for a wedding gift last Fall. Now, I would like to have a small, reasonably priced smoker in the near future, but it’s just the wife and child so I can hold off for a while. Key to making the grill last is cover that sucker! I grill under a roofed patio and still put the cover on it when not in use.

14. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Thats the Rolls Royce model....
    Forget Time, it's all in the Temp.

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Hot Damn you must've won the lottery...
    You're ruint now, you'll never look at a gas or charcoal grill again.
    smoking different kinds and flavors of meats, that will give your taste buds a workout.