My wife has a question about Cremation

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Jun 27, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    We got into a discussion on cremation today on a drive to pick up a roller bearing and I asked her if she wanted to be cremated when the days comes . I told her to cremate me to save money as we don't have any life insurance or burial policy's.
    Question is does the bible say cremation is ok or not ok?
    She said she was going to have to read and make sure cremation is ok with GOD first.
    Any thoughts?

2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I have met folks who have strong feelings and beliefs about it but I personally cannot think of a scripture that condemns it. I may learn something here in a few though.

3. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Body and spirit. One gets left behind. Why should it matter what happens to it?

4. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I am not a very religuous person, so as far as what the bible says about i have no clue.
    But, i, under no circumstances want to be cremated. I dont care if i just get threw over a hill.for the buzzards to eat, do not want burnt.

Mainbeam likes this.
  5. This movie screwed up burial for me. I’m as claustrophobic as they come.

carnivore likes this.
  6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I tell my wife, put me in the cheapest pine wood box you can find. As far as your question goes, if someone burns up in a fire do they not go to heaven either? What if they get blown up? It's what we do when we're alive that matters to God, not what happens to our shell after we die.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust comes to mind. When we go it will be no services to attend except graveside on the day the ashes are put in the ground by invitation only. Straight from the place we pass to the furnace. Don't pump me full of crap, put me in a box so people can stare and say how good I look.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I could recall nothing in the Bible that says anything about cremation. Google reveals it does not. If I don’t change my mind, I’m going to be cremated. I see my family spend so much time and money at the cemetery. Not that anyone would, but I don’t want anyone doing that for me.

Brody, barney and bigbonner like this.
  9. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Thank You I will take a look .
    My wife wants to see it in the bible . My sister told her it was in there and sis showed it to my brother to convince him that cremation was ok.
    My wife is religious but she is not a nut case religious person. I on the other hand am not so religious . I talked to my grandson one time about the theory of evolution and my wife got mad at me, so I don't talk about evolution no more except to my wife just to raise her dandruff.
    I have had those parking lot preacher/ students come up to me and by the time I am through they are almost a reborn atheist.
    When it is my time, get rid of me the cheapest way possible . Even give parts away , I won't care.

10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    My dad wants to be and so does my wife. Not me. I’m more traditional. But may change as I get older. Funerals are a HUGE expense most are not ready for.

bigbonner likes this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I grew up with a strict religious mother. We were often in church but I’m no Bible scholar. I mentioned cremation one day around my mom and her immediate response was, “Well, I won’t be around when you make that decision but I can tell you it’s not of God.” Now, like you all, I know of nothing in the Bible that speaks specifically on cremation but like many things in the Bible there are a few scriptures open to interpretation.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    What is open to interpretation concerning cremation?

13. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    Much of the early Church's resistance to cremation was that it was the preferred way of the Romans (and Greeks before them). Jewish tradition said a body needed to be "disposed of" before sunset if at all possible, for ritual purity purposes (that was the rush to break the legs of the thieves crucified alongside Christ, and why he was speared). If you have ever tried to cremate an animal, it takes lots of wood and lots of time. Cremation also does not leave bones, and again, Jewish tradition had bones of a fami,y stored with other bones of the family - think back about The Hebrew leaving Egypt and being instructed to take back the bones of Jacob to his ancestors land.

14. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I agree with Nock on this one. But then again it says when he returns the dead in Christ shall rise first, or something like that. So where does that put it? Me personally I want to be creamated. I’ve already got a grave site and headstone courtesy of my granny but my body don’t have to be there. Another plus side to cremation and yes I do this, you can carry a part of that person with you everywhere in a small ern. When mom passed her wishes were to be cremated, so when that happened I followed her wishes and bought a small ern and put a few of her ashes in there. She goes everywhere with me in my backpack