My new found respect

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by 30-30, Dec 6, 2012.

1. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Jimmie, I suppose the coyotes you have such a strong knowledge base on are equipped with tracking collars, so you can keep up with how close they bed to each other, when they go to the creek and get a drink, and all the rest. No doubt about it, you know more about coyote behavior than anyone I have ever heard of. Hell, Gerry Blair would just have to bow down to your superior knowledge.

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Actually I learned that from a few years in the LBL. They react to pressure of any kind by finding that safe zone within the territory to bed in. Whole groups would be in small areas. There would be the occasional single off to itself but it was also in a similar place.

Farm country is no diferent. It too has hunters and farmers going about their daily bussiness. And within each block of farm country there is some place where they are comfortable to bed down. If you get that rare occasion to hear them howl at sunset you will hear the whole group from a small area.

I am thankful for guys like Gerry Blair, Ed Sceery, Gerald Stewart, even Old Rich Cronk gave me some good lessons. But one thing they taught me above all was to ask questions about what I was seeing in the field and finding answers. While trying his dangedest to teach me down wind calling Ed Sceery taught me to think about what the animal was doing at all times, how they would aproach a call site to watch them and think about what they were doing and why.I just do my best and try to pass on what I have learned to others as these fine gentlemen passed on what they knew to me. Jimmie

3. sthrnkyhunter

sthrnkyhunter 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2007
    Glasgow,ky
    I think in the hills of KY sometimes coyote hunters are moving to far between sets. Example......Saturday, a buddy and myself decided to hunt on his family farm and we KNOW the coys are there! I have hunted the farm 3 other times in the last 6 months and saw nothing. The previous times I have made one set on the different sides of a 100 acre farm. This time we made our first set at daylight and saw nothing but instead of moving to the other side of the farm for the second set we moved about 300 yards. We walked just over the next ridge and set up again. This time we have two coyotes show up in less than 90 seconds. So either 1) they didn't hear us the first time, 2) they simple were to lazy to come that far, or 3) we got close enough to stir their curiousity. In which ever case, we moved just a short distance and killed two coyotes because of it.

4. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    sthrnkyhunter, everybody is an instant expert when they kill a few coyotes. When things get tough, and they don't even hear a coyote for a dozen stands or more, they start doubting themselves, wondering what they are doing wrong. IMO, most times they aren't doing anything wrong; the coyotes are just full and not interested, or in a different part of their territory and it is just too much trouble to respond or they don't hear the call. Everybody blows hand/mouth calls differently but they all call coyotes at time, and they all fail at times. Trying to sound just like the prey species you are trying to sound like is mostly futile and unnecessary anyway. If you can put a lot emotion into your calling, and do so from a proper setup, they will hear, they will react, but they won't always come in. I have been whacking them for over 25 years now and still have periods when I can't call one in, can't even see or hear one, even in areas I know they habitate. Having total confidence in your knowledge and ability are really important attributes. Nobody else can develop that in you or tell you how to do so. What works well in a western state might not work well at all in Kentucky and vice versa. When old Wiley does respond, it is a hoot, a real rush of adrenaline, unlike anything I have ever experienced in 60 years of hunting. Anybody that tells you too much detail about how coyotes react to various situations is feeding you some bull. Might work for them, but never for you. You have to pay the price and learn for yourself. Even then, you are destined to fail more than you succeed. That's predator hunting and you are either tough minded enough to work with it, or you can sit at home and watch the wind blow the leaves in your yard. If your short move is the main factor that killed the two coyotes, good for you and I hope it added to your knowledge base. Good hunting at ya!

5. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    Dang! Sthrnkyhunter, I don't know if that was meant as some sort of reprimand or encouragement.

I think he was just offering up an idea, not commanding a course of action. Of course, I can't kill a coyote unless I am hunting for something else. I say you should holler into the wind that you are going squirrel hunting. Then take your shotgun and box of sixes out to the barn, and secretly slip in some bb loads. That should be enough of a ruse to do the trick. Maybe sit on a stump and make squirrel noises too. I have killed em squack hunting, duck hunting, and bow hunting. Them is some awful smart critters. Next week I am going to try blowing a crow call to call em in. You know, mix it up some. They are gettin sceered of squirrel hunters. Good luck!!

6. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Killroy. No reprimand intended, just trying to help a new predator hunter, my only reason for a big percentage of posts I make on the various forums. Just trying to encourage the young/new hunters to put more emphasis on what the coyotes teach them than what somebody in another area writes in a post or book. Some of the stuff you read on the forums is kind of comical to somebody who has the experience to back up their conclusions. You'll lose more than you'll win if you judge coyote hunting by the number of kills and number of stands made. Probably 60% or more of the coyotes who respond to calling are never seen. That is agreed to by most knowledgeable coyote hunters. They are sneaky rascals for sure. The sneakier you are, the better off you will be. Some guys believe that the more stands you can make in a 3 or 4 hour period, the better your chances are of killing a coyote. I never have believed that and still don't. I'd rather make one quality stand, set up right in a good area than to make a dozen hit and run stands with little thought involved. Everybody ought to do what makes them happy though, as that's what its all about.

7. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a gas station
    Charley Bowdre: Apologies, Possumal. We was just hacking on you.
    "Dirty Steve" Stephens: Yeah, we was just hacking on you.

8. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    there are few guys on here that there word is as good as gold, i cant name em all but AL'S is one of them, he's stern, but hes got to be, there are a lot of em that come and go. they say they know what there talking about, as always thanks Al

9. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    The best way to learn to hunt coyotes is trial and error getting out there and actually hunting in the field instead of reading people's opinion about how to do it. Sure, there are certain basics to keep in mind like the wind, scouting, etc. but time spent hunting will tell you more about what works and what doesn't. Just my opinion.

10. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    30-30 you are being nice saying al is STERN,wow. He taught me how to hunt them and he has chewed me up one side down the other BUT one thing that is absolute he knows how to kill them so when put in the best way sometimes as bad as I hate to say it but it is best to listen real close to what he is saying. Do not tell him I said it but 99 percent of the time he is dead on.

11. Hey Chuck-----how you liking that Shockwave? Donkey should be here next week!!

12. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
  13. sthrnkyhunter

sthrnkyhunter 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2007
    Glasgow,ky

Possumal, I at NO TIME have claimed to be an expert! The one thing that I have learned in the 4 short years I have been chasing predators is that I know very little and can learn something each and every time I go out. I WAS ONLY trying to add food for thought! I thought someone else may have had a similar experence. I have had way more sets that I didn't see anything than ones that I killed something and I am still chasing them. I guess from now on I will keep my unexperienced thought to myself. Thanks for the lesson!

14. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I don't care if someone has called in and killed one coyote or a thousand, I want to hear about each hunt because there's something to learn from each one. Not everyone has been at it for 30 yrs. or can hunt them all fall and winter each year to have a bunch under their belt. Like it's already been said you'll learn a lot by getting out there and doing it, but nobody should be discouraged from giving advice because they haven't killed a certain number. That's just stupid IMHO. I guess I shouldn't give any advice either because I haven't killed enough either....

15. coyote1758

coyote1758 6 pointer

Oct 10, 2010
    nicholasville ky.
    Hay guys I was having fun with al. No disrespect ment to anyone. Always love hearing all the stories. Keep posting.i apologize to anyone offended.