My Lovely Geese

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by HuntressOfLight, Apr 2, 2021.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Ha! Successful hunt first time out and about with camera in hand this year, and not where I have been hearing them near the house. Spied two on a pond while driving at 50mph,. I wasn't going to whip back around for them, being late for my carryout breakfast due to a stray dog I stopped to feed, but glad I did. Light was just right. They were quiet until they saw me, became nervous enough to exit for the bank and begin honking. Snapped a few more there and left them honking away. They have since settled back down. Spied much bigger water just beyond them.

2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Dang it! I did scare them into flight, after all. I was parked across the street out of sight, and as I pulled out, they crossed me and began flying parallel to my north headed west. I slowed all traffic behind me to keep pace with them. I missed one beautiful shot over a winter wheat field they passed. Nothing I could do about that! I decided to try and head them off and turn north at my next pass, just to get an idea where they went. When doing so, I realized they must have landed.

Two men have since stopped while typing this, just to make small talk. One told me the heese are all about here. The other is one whm Brewster the Beast warned off a few weeks back, lol. He keeps seeing me on the road and stopping, jumping my car off one time and handing me his card. He keeps trying to get me to call him, the ole player, lol.

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Wasn't expecting ducks but found some. They busted out of their hiding spot too quickly to manage a good look, but I think that they may have been wood ducks (they were brown and came off the water from the woods within the edge of the lake and were super fast, two each both times). I did see some baby waterfowl but could not tell whether they were geese or ducks. Out of range, three of them with no parents around them and floating deeply away from the bank. I was told pintails were seen here last week.

4. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    They are awake and many of them this morning, just to the east as always. How they manage to outsmart all the coyotes around here, I haven't a clue yet.

5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Honkers, direction undetermined.

6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Honkers home, just heard them. Saw one flying solo to the roost when in route home 30 minutes or so ago and saw two crossing from there heading south, which was interesting.

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Many honkers awake and letting all know it, as are the cattle. Finally took flight in light rain while tapping this. Bunch of them.

8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Might be some predator over there, because those cattle are still seriously going off, long after the geese departed. Hopefully that farmer is there. I don't often hear the cattle. Thinking something might be after some calves and/or baby geese, but I don't hear any coyotes.

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Geese to the east
    Disturbing the peace

Looks like one pooped while in flight today over my driveway.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Geese were honking to both the north and east, but then I heard some very low and close, discovering two flying from west to east down my street, south of my vantage point. They were above the old hardwoods and made a sharp detour in flight plan to the south, which I thought odd, until I saw a large bird at the same altitude flapping hard from the west to meet them. I think that it was Lady Red-tailed but can't be sure, due to the distance.

It might have been the bald eagle. Twas not a goose, that is for sure. The large bird was coming from the red-tailed hawks' nest area of last year. I heard nothing after that and hope they made their way past it. My view was quickly blocked by the tall hardwoods.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Geese to the east have been awake awhile and one flock just took direct flight plan to the south. I was down near the bottom open field garnering clear vantage point, seeing them flying off in the distance over the bordering treeline to the subdivision. More remain, honking away, having yet to take flight.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Managed to finally see what I had only read about within the past, geese within an open field. Pretty cool! Back home maybe 20 minutes now after a quick breakfast carryout stop and can hear them (or others, no telling).

Honks were coming from the NE earlier this morning, not due east, causing me to rush to my car even before my decaf finished brewing or pulling off my winter robe, lol. I simply hopped into my car as is without camera or glasses. I thought they might be in the field directly two houses over or even one of the subdivision ponds this overcast morning, but no; so, I kept driving. Ended up out of the subdivision and on the same road Frank lives on to the east, running along side of the subdivision..

I set eyes upon the notorious rooster, for the first time ever. It is huge. Passed that house then Frank's house, looked to my right and there they were, two, three, four, then more. I kept counting, as I slowly drove and never once stopped, because I did not wish to spook them. Maybe eight, some further away, and surely more than I saw. It was just an open field of what, I do not have any clue, but they apparently like it. A thin wood line separates it from the far end of my subdivision, and I have yet to visit that hidden pond contained within it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    I've been sitting outside upon the east breakfast nook of my deck (only portion of deck which is covered, with exception to one smaller nook facing north down on the west end) and continuing to listen to the geese all morning. They have been very vocal this overcast, 51°F morning, after the rains last night. I believe most have finally taken off, and the sun looks like it may eventually break through the low cloud cover.

I have given occasional thought to your comment, since first made. Honestly, I would not wish to utilize computer software or cams, in order to help me find any kind of wildlife. Even utilizing online services for weather makes me feel as if I am cheating, garnering an unfair advantage. It's just not right for me, unethical; moreover, it would remove much of the fun.

When my father and I were out and about on Tuesday, I showed him where I found the two geese on a pond and took photographs of them. I described what all had occurred, as we made our way down the road. We chatted about all a bit. Later on, I told him of how many geese are roosting upon the outskirts of the subdivision, and how I had been documenting exactly what time of day, precisely where heard and what directions they are flying when determined along with weather conditions at times. The biggest smile spread across his face. That was simply priceless to me in return.

I can simply imagine how he and his father along with friends used to do the same, when just a kid, himself; no computers and geese galore, word of mouth only. I wish to go about learning much within the same manner, but I do intend upon continuing to read about all online. I believe that I shall learn much more in this manner, the same as he once did when out and about long ago around here. It is surely more difficult, but that is okay. I do not think that it should be easy. What fun is that? I prefer the wonder as well as the wander.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Honker was south headed NE back into the roost moments ago beneath cloudy skies. Back to dandelion burning I go.

15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Small group of geese were heard at 6:15am, from the ENE. Appeared as if they headrd N from the sound of it.

Meanwhile, the doves are having themselves a ball talking back and forth this morning.